Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reinchard666

Reinchards high resolution textures and sprites - demo available

The e1m2 screenshot isn't really working for me: the star panels look oddly wrong, and seem to have some sort of woody texture to them, and the brown steps highlight a flaw in the brown96: the original texture works reasonably well as a step here, but this really doesn't.

I think that while the textures themselves are very good, the alignment in the screens really annoy me.

Putting the horrendous models aside, that startan texture isn't working for me. Looks ... ... ... iffy? It's well made, but the texture looks weird.

My only problem with the Startan is that at such a crisp resolution the way the texture repeats across the wall becomes infinitely more obvious, but that's certainly not Reinchard's problem

esselfortium said:

The e1m2 screenshot isn't really working for me: the star panels look oddly wrong, and seem to have some sort of woody texture to them, and the brown steps highlight a flaw in the brown96: the original texture works reasonably well as a step here, but this really doesn't.

I noticed that you have a very strange taste(don't get me wrong). I'm make the panels of star texture exactly like in their original shape. Most people insisted to use some kind of fictional material like this from Star Wars, no plastic, no metal, just fictional strange material, something between plastic, rubber and metal. So I do it. Then I use exactly the same color like in original and the same details. The "woody" effect that you see can be issue of color, but this color is exactly the same like in original (maybe I'm wrong, as I mentioned before I have color blindness). So I don't know if I can do this texture better. I can't change original texture, because I want to recreate textures in his original style. Maybe you don't like this style, I respect that, but remember that main goal of this project is recreate Doom textures, not making new textures. I'll try do something with this in future if you tell me what exactly should I changed. But for now I go with another textures. Maybe someone else can fix something. Or you can always use textures from dhtp.

I don't see any difference except bullet holes and too big hole in glass.

I haven't directly compared it to the original, but it feels like the startan2 contrast is too high on the grunge layers and a bit too low on the actual panels.

Right. When I compare this in screenshot that I paste above I see another problem with cylinder colors. I don't like very much final effect of my star textures, but this is very difficult (for me) texture if you want recreate them in theair original style.

I can see what essel is saying here. There is a woody feel to the star textures that doesn't quite sit with me. Possibly you could blur the 'grain' a little so it appears less defined. And the bullet holes look a little too repetitive.

But I don't wanna come off as critical here. This is one of the best texture sets I have ever seen, and the majority of the textures are simply amazing. Man, I struggle to make decent textures in the original resolution, much less do something decent in this much higher resolution. Awesome stuff. Keep up the good work. :)

Just for fun I start making hd pistol. This is very rough version, only for show how its look for now. The glove is placeholder, so don't look at them. Pistol is too thin and the metal material is too clean, but I test geometry (its little hard to make pistol from lowres first person view sprite).

Like the shotgun, it just doesn't work for me, looks to plastic-like. I can even see some rubber on pistol. I don't think it's too thin though.

Are you don't like whole Doom or just a pistol sprite?
By the way, you are very helpful, I'm waiting for a better version from you.

As I say befor this is quick test, material and hand is just a placeholders.

I don't think Reinchard got that you were implying that there was a face there. We'll chalk it up to miscommunication.

I like it! Obviously it's too smooth, but I think it'll look nice with the new textures :)

Memfis said:

I'm sorry if that offended you.

No, I thought that you suggest that crosshair is in the wrong place or something like that. No offense or anything.

Original berettas don't fit. I know there is a popular opinion that Doom pistol is a beretta 92F or beretta 92FS, but thats not true. Yes, there are view similar elements, like shape of barrel, safety pin and hammer, but toy that id use to make Doom pistol must have some modifications. Look at the barrel of original sprite, is similar but not the same. I try many camera positions but original berettas just don't fit. So that the beratta is a Doom pistol is kind of myth. Look at the render of 92F version:

Little update. Pistol is still in wip, hands are in 3d but for now I paste them in photoshop on pistol sprite. Don't look at hands material and color. Sprite is too small in game, but I'll fix this. Maybe tommorow I'll try better animate hands and make good material for gloves.

Still working on first frame, when I finish glove then I start making another frames. Currently I'm workin on folds displacement. This hand still look bad.

original size:

That looks better, more like a rubber or smooth leather. :)

Only thing I think I'd suggest is making the gun metal a little more matte. It's a little too shiny.

A have all frames, but its still far away from perfect. I resize weapon to have this same size like in original sprite and do some work on materials.