Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

PSX Doom/Final Doom TC (Legacy TC, See first post for details)

I'd be great to have MIDI music with a soundfont like Doom64 EX, instead of distributing megs worth of OGGs/MP3.

Also, on the subject of translucency, I was searching for something else entirely yesterday and came across this old post from Omnipotus:

Omnipotus said:

There is a flag in PSXDoom which causes a sprite to become inverted, transparent, and multiply the HP by 2.

I discovered this several months ago after hacking the PSXDoom rom I ripped myself and took a look at the MAP05 things list and searched around for the flag for the Nightmare Spectre thing at the very beginning of the level.

The AC hex number (or decimal, 172) was the flag for that THING.
So I changed the flag to something like EC and the Nightmare Spectre became a regular Spectre. I was able to try the flag on other sprites which resulted in Imps, Shotgun Guys, and Medikits to become inverted and transparent and a shy bit tougher (exclude the Medikit). You could actually just open up a sprite in an image program and invert the sprite and perhaps lower the brightness and raise the contrast.
I believe the actual Nightmare thing flag is 160.

Some others tidbits:
The common transparent thing flag is appears to be 224.
The transparent thing flag 32, is like 224, but appears brighter, MAP25 and MAP34 are a couple of levels that use this on Spectres.
The transparent flag for walls is 1024.

Oh, one other thing I found out was that PSXDoom still had the Nightmare Mode intact, though, how to play that skill I am unsure of, but how I found it was I modified DEMO1.LMP's skill level and changed it to one number higher, which resulted the game demo playing on high caffeine so to speak.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=604634#post604634

http://www.mediafire.com/?88n1916p7p1adtd
Here is the Final doom maps in UDMF.
I used CO2's ZDoomConvert to change them to UDMF, then I made a tool that uses the Sector RGB Lists of Omnipotus fpsxmapconv tool to automatically add the sector colors to the textmap lumps, so hopefully there should be no more sectors with the wrong color due to me manually entering them or id tag conflicts.

Give them a spin, and let me know if you find any problems.

Dragonsbrethren the udmf maps you downloaded don't have any reverbs,
I forgot all about them, There in now if you want to download them again, Iv updated the link above.

One thing I've wondered in the back of my mind, but never really addressed, was the fact that sounds in the middle of reverb don't sustain when going to a "non-reverb" sector. Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this? I wasn't able to fix it when I was working on the project. I didn't know if anything has changed in the newer versions of GZDoom that would allow this to be changed.

I converted the sprites, textures, flats and palette from PSX Doom (not Final Doom, yet, but I will) to increase the accuracy of this project. The current resources in the project are in PNG format and include only the textures and flats, and I somewhat doubt their accuracy, since I couldn't get them to convert accurately to either PC Doom's palette or PSX Doom's palette.

The sprites in PSX Doom are also different than the PC version's sprites, since they appear to have some scaling done here and there, and have very different alignments (I'm not talking about the weapon sprites).

I'd recommend not converting the sprites to PNG, as this will cause the file size to become larger, since Doom patch format graphics containing transparency are smaller when compressed due the way it's encoded. I'd also recommend not touching the textures and flats, they're paletted (not true color) PNGs that have been optimized.

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/07G4F9iq-r/psxgfx.zip

EDIT: Corrected the palette.

Sodaholic said:

I converted the sprites, textures, flats and palette from PSX Doom (not Final Doom, yet, but I will) to increase the accuracy of this project. The current resources in the project are in PNG format and include only the textures and flats, and I somewhat doubt their accuracy, since I couldn't get them to convert accurately to either PC Doom's palette or PSX Doom's palette.

The textures and flats are accurate because I converted them from the PSX Doom CD myself.

Sodaholic said:

The sprites in PSX Doom are also different than the PC version's sprites, since they appear to have some scaling done here and there, and have very different alignments (I'm not talking about the weapon sprites).

I'm almost positive they are not different.

fenderc01 said:

The textures and flats are accurate because I converted them from the PSX Doom CD myself.

Something must've been lost in the conversion when you did it, because the colors between the ones that I ripped and the ones you ripped are different. I ripped it straight from the CD as well, and took extra caution to make sure that they were in their correct palette.

fenderc01 said:

I'm almost positive they are not different.

Trust me, the sprites are different.

So I suppose I should say that the very latest SVN build of SLADE 3 can open the PSX WADs. The map format variants are not actually supported though; and there are a few false positive in the format identification so some lumps are identified as Jaguar sprites or PSX graphics when they shouldn't be.

The PSX PLAYPAL is in a different format from usual palettes, so there is a console command to convert it. Open the SLADE 3 console, select the PLAYPAL lump, and type "palconvpsx" in the console.

I noticed that the PSX palette that I got from another user from an old forum post was incorrect, so I'm now using the one from Slade 3's conversion.

Redownload it, I'm 100% certain that it's 100% correct now.

Gez said:

So I suppose I should say that the very latest SVN build of SLADE 3 can open the PSX WADs. The map format variants are not actually supported though; and there are a few false positive in the format identification so some lumps are identified as Jaguar sprites or PSX graphics when they shouldn't be.

The PSX PLAYPAL is in a different format from usual palettes, so there is a console command to convert it. Open the SLADE 3 console, select the PLAYPAL lump, and type "palconvpsx" in the console.

Do you have any plans to eventually support PSX format maps? Because, while this TC is cool, I would absolutely love to run custom maps on the real deal.

Maybe. It certainly won't be as important IMO as Doom64 Ex format maps, but on the other hand it'd probably be easier. Still, without a PC port able to play such maps (and not a hacked ROM in an emulator), it seems very niche. Even more than Doom64 Ex.

Another problem is that from what I've read, PSX Doom and PSX Final Doom have different map formats, which is a bit annoying. Haven't looked into that yet.

It might be simpler to support only one map format in the editor, but have converter functions that can be called afterwards. Like for example, if you want to open a 32 Doom map in SLADE 3, the vertices will be all weird. But if you first select the VERTEXES lump, ten call the vertex32x console command, they'll be converted to the PC Doom vertex format and the map can be opened safely. Depending on perceived need, this kind of function could get a place in the actual UI.

The difference is actually mentioned on the first page (it was what had been holding back conversions of the Final Doom maps):

Omnipotus said:

Regarding the PSX Final Doom wad (actually *.ROM, unlike PSX Doom having the standard *.WAD), the only difference with it is that it stores all the SIDEDEF textures as 16-bit/shorts (to the index of the texture in the PSXDOOM.WAD, starting from the T_START lump) and SECTORS store the identity of flats the same way (only starting from the F_START lump).

I'm interested in converting to PSX format; I have a modded PS2. Definitely a niche, but one I'd like to see filled some day.

Right guys, are we packing Sodaholic's sprites and the UDMF Final doom maps into it and calling it version 2 or beta 16?
Has anyone got anything else they want in there before we call it version 2?
The MIDI music with doom sound fonts would be amazing, anyone know if it be can done?

Question: Once the Final Doom PS1 TC is finished, could it be possible to combine it with the normal Doom PS1 TC? They already share the same basic interface (in the actual games too), and would make sense to make it one large game instead.

It is like that now in beta, u can play all PSX doom levels together as a whole, i did all 90 levels in about 9-10 hours or so :P

BlueFireZ88 There aren't any new levels
The first download which says PlayStation Doom + Final Doom Episodes has all 59 levels from the original psx doom + the 30 levels from final doom.

I recon we should drop the standalone final doom tc if there is not any objections. It seem kind of pointless to me now.

Additional levels could be an interesting expansion. Like adding back all the cut levels from PC Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom; but giving them the Final Doom treatment with colored lights and reverb zones, placed "the way Williams/Midway did". :)

ScottGray said:

I recon we should drop the standalone final doom tc if there is not any objections. It seem kind of pointless to me now.

To me too.

Gez said:

Additional levels could be an interesting expansion. Like adding back all the cut levels from PC Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom; but giving them the Final Doom treatment with colored lights and reverb zones, placed "the way Williams/Midway did". :)

It's an interesting idea, one I've definitely considered before. Like I mentioned in another thread recently, I really wonder why so many of Final Doom's maps, Plutonia's in particular, were cut. Plutonia doesn't use that complicated of designs compared to stock Doom 2. Can't help but think it was more time constraints than technical limitations that stopped more conversions from being made.

You've got me wanting to do this now. A PSX-ized Industrial Zone would certainly be interesting, for example. It'd have to lose a lot of its height in order to be authentic. I have noticed some trends in the colored lighting and texture changes, too. We'd need a PSX Doom equivalent of Hellbent to nitpick the little details, heh.

If there's enough interest, I'll probably start up a thread for this after version 2 is out. PSX Doom: The Lost Levels.

Now its fully implemented it definitely makes sense to drop the seperate TC and combine it.
Lost levels idea sounds absolutely immense having only ever played PSX Doom and PSX Final Doom first time around (Hence why Im such a big fan of this TC)
More official levels in the same vein I've never played before gets a definite yes from me, imagine there would be other PSX players in the same boat.