Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom 4 should have...

TB171 said:

Idsoftware981 is by far the worst person I have ever seen when it comes to contradicting him/herself. EVER TIME HE POSTS he changes his mind and claimed that he 'EVOVLED' over a week's worth of posting, then says whatever we (and by we I mean posters like agentbromser, Eris Falling, Caffiene Freak etc.) say that is different from him, we are all of a sudden non-idsoftware fans because of our different thoughts.

It's not even just that, really. I mentioned this before, but my biggest issue is that he seems to have a hard time understanding that there are MORE than the two opposite ends of either spectrum.

To him, it seems that people who don't want Doom 4 to be a re-hash of all the same old shit, just think Classic Doom is inferior, or just want another Doom 3/PS1 Doom/N64 Doom/whatever the fuck. And if you don't want Doom to utilize the same weapons and mechanics as other modern shooters, then you just hate change, or iron sights and reloading, or whatever.

Not everything is just black and white, idsoftware981. There's a looootta shades of gray.

And frankly, I'd take anything over Doom 4 being "like Resident Evil 1 + Half-Life 1 + DOOM 1 + DOOM 2 + Timesplitters + Goldeneye + Perfect Dark + Quake 1 + Unreal 1 + Halo 1 + Wolfenstein 3D"... I mean Jesus, this is a video game we're talking about, not some retarded 14 year-old's masturbation fantasy.

Caffeine Freak said:

And frankly, I'd take anything over Doom 4 being "like Resident Evil 1 + Half-Life 1 + DOOM 1 + DOOM 2 + Timesplitters + Goldeneye + Perfect Dark + Quake 1 + Unreal 1 + Halo 1 + Wolfenstein 3D"... I mean Jesus, this is a video game we're talking about, not some retarded 14 year-old's masturbation fantasy.

Considering the age of all of those games, what's most worrying is the suggestion that he's a lot older than 14.

muahaha :D supose he isnt :F

what DOOM4 needs is the ability to pick references from the older DOOM games in the best way it can. if there is too much new DOOM4 will not be DOOM, just a fps game with more advanced engines

DoomUK said:

Considering the age of all of those games, what's most worrying is the suggestion that he's a lot older than 14.

Resident Evil 1 isn't even that good a game, honestly. It annoys me that a lot of people (including idSoftware981) seem to think that Resident Evil 1 is the grandfather of all things survival horror. There have been many horror games (and better ones) before that, and I'm not even some old fart that grew up playing all of those.

In a simular way, trendy kiddies on the internet today claim that a game like Slender is the most original horror game of the last few years. Everybody with SOME knowledge of video games knows that this is complete nonsense. Look up 3D Monster Maze from 1982, who had the exact same idea. But I digress. Let us all stop discussing a forum user who probably won't understand our arguments anyway, shall we?

Agentbromsnor said:

Resident Evil 1 isn't even that good a game, honestly. It annoys me that a lot of people (including idSoftware981) seem to think that Resident Evil 1 is the grandfather of all things survival horror. There have been many horror games (and better ones) before that, and I'm not even some old fart that grew up playing all of those.

Perhaps the only thing I agree with him on is that Resident Evil was and is a good game. Whether or not it was the original survival horror is irrelevant. The entire franchise has become a bloated corpse that should have been buried with dignity a long time ago, but the first game (and, perhaps even more so, the 2002 remake) is a classic in my opinion.

Whether I want Doom 4 to bear any similarity is another matter. Probably not.

DoomUK said:

Perhaps the only thing I agree with him on is that Resident Evil was and is a good game. Whether or not it was the original survival horror is irrelevant. The entire franchise has become a bloated corpse that should have been buried with dignity a long time ago, but the first game (and, perhaps even more so, the 2002 remake) is a classic in my opinion.

Whether I want Doom 4 to bear any similarity is another matter. Probably not.

Resident Evil 2 was better, in my opinion. They should have quit the series after part 2. Yes, I know that some people like RE 3 as well, but I thought 3 was already boring and stupid. After 3, I wouldn't even call the series horror anymore, let alone survival horror.

I think the big difference between survival horror games and Doom is the survival part. Its a different kind of horror, where Doom is more about disturbing imagery in a science-fiction setting, survival horror games emphasize on being careful spending ammo, and conserving health among other features. In a survival horror game, you wouldn't play as a soldier or anybody with military experience or anything, but as an average Joe trying to stay alive.

Agentbromsnor said:

In a survival horror game, you wouldn't play as a soldier or anybody with military experience or anything, but as an average Joe trying to stay alive.

Well, the characters in RE1 were part of a fictitious SWAT team. One of the characters in RE2 was a cop with experience with weapons.

But I see what you're saying. It's hard to feel like you're surviving against the odds in the same way when you're [the original] Doomguy or the Quake marine.

DoomUK said:

Age really isn't as much of a factor as it used to be in regards to whether or not someone has played older PC games. I'm 26 and I've played the entire id Software catalogue (with the exception of Commander Keen) and beaten most of the games. But the fact is that anybody with a lot of spare time, a working PC and an internet connection can get all those classic games today and be brought up to speed on id's (or any other company for that matter) history in fairly short time. And that includes most 14 year-olds.

I seriously doubt idsoftware981 is any older than 17.

After watching a video on youtube of a modded Doom 3, I just realized what a difference little things can make in a gaming experience. In this vid, the gun sounds are better, there are slight graphical enhancements, and the music from the FPS scene in the Doom movie is playing in the background. At least for me, just those little things make the game seem like a much cooler experience and more interesting to watch. Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waxQ2H_qZxE

I hope that id software doesn't screw up on the gun sounds like they did in Doom 3.

Caffeine Freak said:

I seriously doubt idsoftware981 is any older than 17.

Sounds like he's 10 to me, and that's coming from a 13 year old who spends a shit ton around little kids who get pissy on the internet.

TB171 said:

Sounds like he's 10 to me, and that's coming from a 13 year old who spends a shit ton around little kids who get pissy on the internet.

I honestly never would have guessed you were 13. That's actually rather surprising to me. Most 13 year-olds, in my experience, don't have the intellectual capacity and/or attention span to state well-reasoned arguments, coherent objective opinions, and solid analyses, formulated with proper sentence structure and good spelling and grammar.

But maybe I'm just jaded from years of internet usage and I underestimate 13 year-olds...

Oops, seems I missed another geniuine idSoftware981 post.

idSoftware981 said:

(List of shitty weapon ideas)
But I know that deep down inside....

You are saying YES!

Which only explains why everyone DISAGREE's with this. Yea, sure sounds like we are considering the last few replies were....

* A Triple Facepalm
* And a relpy saying "Oh my God, just shut up already. Please, just shut up. Stop filling the thread with full-page posts that are nothing but crap"

What in any sense makes you think some people let alone SOMEONE is on board with you going "YES YES YES!" on the inside?

TB171 said:

What in any sense makes you think some people let alone SOMEONE is on board with you going "YES YES YES!" on the inside?

Maybe they were going "yes" on the inside, because they hoped he would get banned.

As a tribute, I decided to create a montage of some of the best idsoftware981 posts, I couldn't get them all in there for space reasons, but yeah, there's a few in here, with my own little annotations

Eris Falling said:

As a tribute, I decided to create a montage of some of the best idsoftware981 posts, I couldn't get them all in there for space reasons, but yeah, there's a few in here, with my own little annotations

[Collection Of Stupidity]

That is the greatest thing I've ever seen. Thank you good sir for making that, and I've found my new Windows wallpaper :D

Ahhh!!! I forgot that he evolved!!! -hangs head in shame-

On a serious note thanks. Thought that any newcomers to this thread would need some context incase they couldn't be bothered to scroll back over the past several pages.

Eris Falling said:

Ahhh!!! I forgot that he evolved!!! -hangs head in shame-

I died laughing.

Eris Falling said:

On a serious note thanks. Thought that any newcomers to this thread would need some context incase they couldn't be bothered to scroll back over the past several pages.

No problem :P And the picture you made saves anyone new to the thread by preserving their sanity and holds back potential rage.

Eris Falling said:

I hope perhaps he will see this himself and learn from it.

Spoiler

Back to reality: The crap will just keep rolling in

No I doubt he'll learn, he just keep posting shit like you said. I swear to fucking god if says "I was once a stupid kid now I'm a matured person", thing again, I'm going to throw my monitor out of my window.

Meh, it doesn't matter, besides it seems we have ran him off considering he hasn't posted a reply yet on this single page.

He'll probably throw a shit-fit after seeing the picture you made x-D

This thread is derailing, so lets talk about how Doom 4 should be like.

Damn it, threads like these are not good for me. Each time I think about Doom 4 I keep fantasizing about my ideas and they only serve to fuel my already insanely high expectations from Id software which will probably lead to disappointment.

I am hoping I am wrong though, I really want Doom 4 to be a good game and there is a fair chance that will happen but after Romero left...I mean, Id software became famous because of the fortunate meeting of two brilliant minds, Carmack being the brain and Romero being the creative core of the company.I feel something died within our beloved company when Romero left. Tim Willits seems too much like a businessman and he hasn't really proven himself in my eyes. I still don't understand how he got Romero's job.

The only thing I REALLY want is to have the gameplay being influenced by the map design sometimes. For instance, one map has very little ammo forcing you to plan your shots while another throws hordes of monsters at you or is just creepy like in Doom 3. I'd even like a map where you can use the environment to gain the upper hand. One of the problems in Doom 3 is that most levels are just creepy, there is little variation aside from the later levels. The creepy atmosphere was good but just like all the other good things in Doom 3, it was overused.

The problem extends not only to level design but also to the art design, although what the game had was very very good, even if not enough. What I'm saying is that there should have been more architectural styles, color variations and level layouts. Now the game DID this to an extent but not quite as much as I wanted. Doom 3 is quite long by modern standards and it has a strong exposition but it fails to stay fresh throughout the journey.

Combat is also one thing that needs attention but after the BFG Edition and especially RAGE, I have a feeling that combat will be solid and fun. I just wish they did something with the gibbing, it was AWFUL in Doom 3. Oh, and remember the baron fatality in the alpha video?I would really like something like that for every monster! For instance, if an imp hits you with a fireball and you die, it could trigger a first person animation where the marine burns alive but if he claws you, it jumps at you and rips your face apart. Imagine this with an HMD!

One thing I keep fantasizing about is a Stronghold-like multiplayer horde mode that is different from the core game and takes place after the main story line. Hell was defeated but large pockets of demons are still roaming the Earth and although the portal to hell was destroyed, the link between the dimensions is still there!

In this mode you are either a marine(jack of all trades), destroyer(heavy weaponry) or medic(like in TF2). You start in a central hub where you can buy stuff, talk to interesting people, play minigames, hear rumors, participate in virtual duels and deathmatches designed for training and choose your missions from a tactical map. The first hub is a run-down resistance base with the goal of establishing a permanent base on Earth, then you get in the UAC headquarters and your goal is to defend strategic points around the base while the scientists find a way to close the link forever and then finally establish an outpost in hell with the goal of severing the link between the two dimensions. Each new hub brings new environments, characters, minigames, mission objectives and weapons.

AAAh, I told you this thread is bad for me :(

Caffeine Freak said:

What do you have against Steam?

A lot.

I can put a giant rant here about what I hate about Steam, but let me just sum it up here in two parts.

First: lack of controllability. There are so many tools and games that I have on my Steam-account that I simply can't play when Valve is supposedly doing 'server maintainance'. I mean, I bought the Orange Box for 60 fucking Euro's, and now Valve is going to tell me to wait in line like a good boy before I can play? Seriously. Fuck that.

Second: the overall general idea that Steam is promoting in the long run. A service like Steam in general promotes this idea of "rent-a-game" that I just loathe with every fiber in my body. Does anyone know of On-Live? Its a simular service where people can 'buy' games on demand and play them. Except, there's the price. Everybody used to be fucking psyched when they first see the prices of On-Live; sometimes the prices are about 2/3 of what they normally are in stores! Wow, amazing right?! Well, here's the deal. If you read the small letters in the user agreement, it says that the provider (On-Live) reserves the right to delete your games from the server after a span of 2 years. So essentially, you're just renting a game, because you have zero control over it.

Call me oldschool, but I prefer my CD's over a rent-a-game service.