Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
arttu98

What did scare you on doom when you were little?

i wasn't really afraid of anything when i played the game, to my knowledge. i dunno why, though, seeing as i was a 4 year old girl when i first laid my hands on the shareware version of the game on a shovelware disc. my mom kept me from playing the game at first, but eventually she came to terms with that the game didn't actually harm my psyche when i played it, so i was allowed to play it once again.

ironic thing is, though, that i used to get TERRIFIED from playing certain CHILDREN'S' games and watching kids cartoons back then, yet walking through an ominous base on Phobos filled with blood-thirsty demons that want me dead didn't bother me in the least. >->

I think I posted something similar awhile back in the confessional booth, but one of the things that did (and still sort of still gets me) are things that are animating from very far away, but are standing still. Everything but monsters, monsters from far away never creeped me out.

It was just so ominous and strange. The scenario of Doom and whatnot made it really eerie for me, and still kind of does. Torches, twitching impaled zombiemen, etc.

Can't stand crushing traps or inescapable slime pits, even today. Those spike columns from Hexen are even worse because I can't predict when they come out of the ground.

HWGuy said:

Can't stand crushing traps or inescapable slime pits, even today. Those spike columns from Hexen are even worse because I can't predict when they come out of the ground.

Very true- I hated crushers... just the sound creeped me out.

And also, Monster Condo, essentially most of the level because it was so dark with so many walls opening and monsters appearing.

Everything. The realness of it all. How freely you and the monsters could move, as opposed to grid-based movement I'd known before in games like Eye of the Beholder. The sounds... the creepy sounds of monsters you can't see grunting and moaning. Then I played the full version. e2m1 scared the shit out of me. The red cross that hurt, I didn't get that. The plasma secret was terrifying. Dark and claustrophobic. I couldn't kill the first cacodemon. I died, I died, I died to it's fireballs. It was scary.

I don't remember being scared of Doom II (only one we had) when I was little, but that's probably because I only played with God Mode on back then.
Then Doom was banned in my home and I didn't really play it again until I was a teenager.

I have moments in Doom that I find spooky (especially in Doom 1), but nothing that keeps me from continuing.
Doom 3 made me jump a few times I think, but I soon got used to the jump scares. What scared me most in that game was the Hell level and a segment towards the end where you arrive in a new area, blood, guts, and hellish flesh are all over the friggin' place (moreso than ever before), and.... nothing attacks you.

Thumping sound cyberdemon makes when walking around and screech of tall and fast skeleton charging towards you from the darkness without hint of life in his eyes. those were the moments of terror in the early 90's

I used to be scared of the Pain Elementals in PSX Doom (the one I started with), because of THOSE sounds. You see it and it basically laughs at you; you know it's going to be trying to cram one of those Lost Souls down your throat as you still struggle to breathe.

The first one I found was E1M4's, in the maze. I used to purposely hunt for them because I liked a good scare.

However, when they became more common, my fears went away. It's just a menacing sound...

...until the much nastier Doom64 Pain Elemental, which I still give an incredibly wide berth.

The first time I got a rocket in the ear in Tower of Babel on PSX Doom (trust me, it makes a difference). My corpse on the ground and the thick red mist subsiding to reveal a mysterious giant figure too far away for the Playstation to resolve properly. I was terrified.

Nowadays I'm all over him like a fly on a turd, but hey ...

I've always found walking sound of all PC Doom monsters pretty rubbish compared to PSX.

Infact no, all sound.

Playing without cheats. With no doubt. Also, Icon of Sin's voice.
I just used to play games in a weird way when I was little. In Doom, I never played without iddqd, and before I played Duke Nukem or Redneck Rampage, my dad had to kill everyone on the level first. In Duke, I escaped to the menu when the weakest enemy teleported into the cinema area, and in Redneck I decided to act bravely and opened the gate to another part of the level myself. Unfortunately, I already wasted my shotgun ammo shooting walls and was too afraid to hold lit dynamite in my hand to use one. Pistol versus two enemies at once ended with fail. There were even more weird stuff about my childhood computer usage, but I don't want to go completely offtopic.

Heh, a little off topic but Scypek got me thinking about it.

When I was a kid I'd play the first world of Super Mario Bros (1-1 to 1-4) and then start over. Over and over again. I never did beat the game until probably 10 years later when I was in high school.

Look, from the Doom's title music. What a n00b, bro!

Also the cacos on e2m3 scared me the first time i'd meet them....

Out of everything in the game, it was the lost souls. I hated them.

I was fine with everything else, just not the lost souls.

first, the imps in e1m1
then, nothing
BUT THEN e1m7
and at last E1M8 - when I first played that level I knew from the start that this is the end level.
DOOM95 - DOOM1.wad

I was more like "This is the coolest thing ever" rather than scary. But one thing that does standout was the clipping through walls outside the map. HOM effect and complete distortion of the gameworld was really terrifying to me.

Now the floppy drive I had in a 386... that thing was scary. The extremely loud obnoxious mechanical noises it would make. I almost thought it was alive. The noise it would make when you tried to access the drive with no disk present - now that was scary shit. It would really throw you off when you were expecting a disk you left to be in there and it wasn't.

One more thing. Telefrags scared the crap out of me. I used to play MAP30 for hours on hours with IDKFA and IDDQD...until one day I died. i didn't know how, I but I was scared and stopped playing that level for a while, until I learned that it's a telefrag.

The cacodemon used to be pretty scary to me as a kid.

Also, the Cyberdemon was scary as well, but only the first few times I've played classic Doom. Back then, every kid you knew used to tell you about how you face the end boss in Doom, so it created this mystery around it.

Ending of E1M8. You know, after the Bruiser Bro's. The dark room where you die.

I didn't know that that was the last level of the episode. I worried that something worse will come.

I've had quite a few surreal Doom-influenced dreams ever since I started playing it, but nothing that actually scared me.

Maes said:

I've had quite a few surreal Doom-influenced dreams ever since I started playing it, but nothing that actually scared me.

That reminds me of one of those falling dreams I had: I kept hearing the Doomguy death sound when I was falling and then I heard that horrible death scream he does. Thankfully I woke up about then.

My first genuine scare was being munched on by a Spectre in the dark on E1M5. I shat a brick. The next major scare was the first time I saw the Cyberdemon on E2M8.

A lot of what scared me in Doom came from the Playstation version, as I played that before I even knew that Doom originated on the PC.

The sound effects in the PS version outright terrified me. There were several sound effects that scared me the most. One of them was the growling of monsters who were offscreen, walking around the map, and looking for you. It sounds MUCH scarier in the PS version. The other sound effect was a sound effect exclusive to Imps when they walk around the map looking for you. In the PS version, I honestly thought the Imps were going "I'm gonna get him".

There were other sound effects that were kind of scary not relating to monsters. The door opening and closing sounds, both fast and slow, creeped me out on PS Doom. Same thing with the lift dropping/raising sounds. And last but not least, the teleporting sound effect was super creepy.

There was one sound however that got my genuinely excited in PS Doom, which was the BFG firing sound effects. Having that weapon as a kid was like having your blanket at night, it just made all your problems and worries go away.

Oh yeah and I liked the Rocket Launcher sound too. And the item and powerup pickup souns.

So long story short, the PS Doom sound effects creeped me out more than anything.

The only thing, I remember to be scared of, is Nocliping outside of level. I prefer to look at automap while nocliping, it is less confusing.