Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Kickstarter by Tom Hall and Brenda Brathwaite

Tom Hall and Brenda Brathwaite (John Romero's wife) are launching a kickstarter with the goal of raising funds for a First Person RPG called SHAKER.

Here is an excerpt from the kickstarter detailing what the project is all about :

Shaker: An Old School RPG is a first-person perspective, fantasy/sci-fi game set in a Bridge world between the future and the very distant medieval past. Taking the role of operative James Connelly (you may also customize your lead character), an employee of Shaker Corporation, you are called upon to set right a deadly chain of events that began millennia ago. You and your crew of 3 operatives will be deployed to Antera, a medieval, fantasy world in the distant past. There, under a feudal guise, you must unearth the very beginning of a horrible chain of events and avert it, or the universe we know today will cease to exist in a mere 100 years.

Also, here is what makes this game different from other RPGs

THE WORLD & COMBAT: Antera is a fantasy, medieval world richly rendered in 3D. Your crew of 4 recruits 2 locals to work with you, establishing your final party of 6 characters. Hundreds of quests and turn-based combat form the cornerstone of a great RPG with a rich storyline. See Update #6 for Combat and Update #2 and Update #4 for information on story.

NON-LINEAR STORY: Shaker features a true non-linear story with multiple endings and many more than one route through the game. It is classic RPG storytelling. Who you meet, when you meet them, what you do for them (and to them) affects the entire course of your game.

STRETCH GOALS: Classic RPG favorites like alignment, rank, age and randomly rolled temperament will be added along with multiple beginnings, new NPC races complete with their own quests, motivations and areas. We will also add a super-hardcore mode featuring permadeath, a no-save option and handcrafted barely beatable bosses.

What do you think?

EDIT: Here is the link http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lootdrop/an-old-school-rpg-by-brenda-brathwaite-and-tom-hal

Sounds good I'm quite the fan of RPG's so I'll be paying close attention to this. I noticed a $10,000 bit on there :O

Wasn't Romero's wife named Rahluka or something?
EDIT: Nevermind, apparently Romero changes wives like he changes underware.

kristus said:

Wasn't Romero's wife named Rahluka or something?
EDIT: Nevermind, apparently Romero changes wives like he changes underware.

Bitches don't get FPS life.

They want to develop two games on a budget of $2,000,000? I would rather see one $2,000,000 game than two $1,000,000 games.

Honestly, the pitch says a lot and nothing at all. They should maybe focus on something a little less ambitious to get a better rep before they try to construct another time travel fps adventure old-school RPG..

Jodwin said:

Too early. Project Eternity is just ending its Kickstarter, they should have waited a bit because people are getting burned out of these things.

You're probably right, one month would have been OK I think. They've barely gathered a quarter of the amount they need and they have only 20 days left.

Holy shit - did they copy and paste the entire Project Eternity layout??

DooM_RO said:

You're probably right, one month would have been OK I think. They've barely gathered a quarter of the amount they need and they have only 20 days left.

An other thing they're doing wrong is advertising themselves. The two ways to have a successful Kickstarter is to either have a truly unique concept, or ride on a bunch of famous names. No one knows what Loot Drop is, so they should ride on the names of Hall and Brathwaite (and throw in Romero just because) more. They also have the lists and images of their previous games hidden way far away on the page. Just a little arranging of the content on that page differently would make a huge difference (because first impressions matter!)

The market (at least the Kickstarter market) is becoming flooded with indie RPGs and games of this ilk. While I'm sure a game made by Tom Hall has much, much greater potential to be of a high quality than any random shmuck's RPG Maker project, I think the problem arises from a general inability to differentiate all of these projects from each other. When I read the Kickstarter page, I would have just written it off as another nondescript game unless I saw Tom Hall's name attached to it.

That $10k prize is totally kickass, though. I definitely want to see that filmed if the Kickstarter succeeds and someone donates at that level in the USA.

Why does it seem like Tom Hall, John Romero and John Carmack all just aged like 15-20 years within the span of the last 5 or so years? They look ancient now! Just 5 years ago they looked so much younger.

I have noticed that too. I *think* Tom Hall has had some serious health issues but I don't know of anything to explain the other two. Well, perhaps Romero going through so many relationships... ;)

Enjay said:

I have noticed that too. I *think* Tom Hall has had some serious health issues but I don't know of anything to explain the other two. Well, perhaps Romero going through so many relationships... ;)

I only heard of Tom Hall having short term memory loss, I never knew about him having health issues others than that.

Avoozl said:

I only heard of Tom Hall having short term memory loss, I never knew about him having health issues others than that.

He had a stroke, remember?

BUMP!

I was just hunting this down for Twitter purposes, but sadly it appears to have failed! :( Looks like it fell way short of the funding goal.

Yeah, shame. I'd like to see those guys back in the saddle so to speak. Mind you, I didn't help. :/

Who could've possibly seen this coming? I've long been a defender of this crew and their current endeavors but fuck if they can manage to do anything right.