Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PhantomTMac

BFG Edition Vanilla Doom SFX

Am I the only person that thinks the randomized pitches for the sound effects in the BFG versions of Doom and Doom 2 were a little odd sounding? I mean, the chainsaw sounds like it has a weird kink in it and the demons sound like they're going through puberty. Was this really necessary?

The random sound pitches were there from the start; they only ceased working in the version we knew because updates to the sound library accidentally broke them.

Gez said:

The random sound pitches were there from the start; they only ceased working in the version we knew because updates to the sound library accidentally broke them.

Well, I guess I'm so used to the broken version that the original sounds really awkward...

The random pitch definitely makes the chainsaw sound very awkward. I kind of wish a source port would make a tweaked version of the random pitch code that doesn't affect the saw, and has a bit less range in the pitches. Those Imps screeching out high notes can be just too funny sometimes.

Megamur said:

The random pitch definitely makes the chainsaw sound very awkward. I kind of wish a source port would make a tweaked version of the random pitch code that doesn't affect the saw, and has a bit less range in the pitches. Those Imps screeching out high notes can be just too funny sometimes.

Agreed. P U B E R T Y

The original pitched sound code does in fact use a narrower range of variation for the saw sound effects, and Eternity attempts to emulate this.