Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PhantomTMac

Community Wad - DISCONTINUED -

NEVERMIND. I GUESS THIS WOULDN'T WORK OUT ANYWAYS.

I think making a community wad would be a great way to get the members of the forum working together on a single project, but with Community Chest basically being the big name in that category, I'm not sure if it'd even be worth starting a project like that up.

However, if you do wish to take part in a Doomworld community wad project, the rules are as follows:

1. Wads must use elements from Doom 2 and must be presented in ZDoom (Doom in Hexen) format.

2. All wads must be labled MAP01 (I'd change the map numbers after all the maps have been sent in)

3. PM me a link with the download.

4. Entries should include a .txt file giving me the sender's name and map title.

5. All participants need to leave a reply to this thread letting me know that you wish to partake in this project.

6. Participants should be fairly skilled mapmakers. If possible, send me one of your best wads as an example of your skills.

7. Don't do anything, I'm killing the project.

Hopefully this project will work out (NO IT DIDN'T). I've been wanting to do a community collab for a while now (GUESS I'LL KEEP WAITING).

I think you'll have to think of a more original premise than "make me maps" to get people to actually do something, especially since you want to use ZDoom.

Death Egg said:

I think you'll have to think of a more original premise than "make me maps" to get people to actually do something, especially since you want to use ZDoom.

I want the map design's to be open to whoever's designing it, yet still be fair and moderately difficult. I want each map to be of medium length, like those in the original Doom games. There really isn't a specific way I want the maps to be made, but I do want them to be interesting and showcase the mapper's skills. The maps should only include elements from Doom 2, unless there are certain texture, monster, or decoration packs that the user wants in there wad (which should be run by me first). It's a community project, so the map should reflect the creator.

PhantomTMac said:

6. Participants should be fairly skilled mapmakers. If possible, send me one of your best wads as an example of your skills.

I'm now curious to see one of your maps.

As Dragonsbrethren said, if you're looking to involve yourself in a community project, it would be far more effective to consider making a contribution to one of the many already-existing ones.

Nobody is assuming anything about you. I get the impression Esselfortium is asking out of genuine interest.

Once I've got my Panophobia maps out of the way, I may be interested in joining your project.

MajorRawne said:

Nobody is assuming anything about you. I get the impression Esselfortium is asking out of genuine interest.

Once I've got my Panophobia maps out of the way, I may be interested in joining your project.

That'd be cool, but now I'm starting to question if I'm even cut out for mapping. I thought I knew what I was doing, but one of my maps was just called "very boring". One that I worked a long time on...

I guess I make my maps look too much like actual buildings (mostly flat with a bunch of rooms).

I'm having exactly the same thoughts as you, and have had the same feedback. "Criticism" is a bad word, it conjures images of failure, which is not the case. If someone is offering you advice, think about why they said what they did. If you genuinely believe they are making a good point, follow their advice. If you disagree, or they are plainly being a dick about it, ignore them.

You are probably exceeding your grasp: maybe your levels are too big, or you're trying too many new things, or just don't have any clear idea what you want to do. Getting bogged down with an idea you can't realise at your current skill level does way more harm than good.

Maybe we should start by building relatively small maps that take 3-5 minutes to beat. We could limit ourselves to no more than, say, 50 monsters, or not using certain types of monsters or weapons, or maps that are no bigger than a certain size.

The maps might feel artificial if we are working to these limits but we'll actually be able to finish the job and we'll get more experience. They don't have to be fantastic, they just have to work, until we are able to make maps that would be worth uploading to the archive.

Recommend you edit your email out of the OP because of potential of spambots and other unsavory individuals (a rarity on DW thankfully) might use it and sign you up.

Mr. Chris said:

Recommend you edit your email out of the OP because of potential of spambots and other unsavory individuals (a rarity on DW thankfully) might use it and sign you up.

Good idea. Thanks.