Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eregore

Slade 3 - graphic format conversion

I am using Slade 3 to format images from 'Graphic (PGN)' files to 'Doom Flat (Paletted)'. When I do this it ends in unknown textures. The tutorial here:

http://slade-editor.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_import_textures

The tutorial here says to first convert images to 'raw format'. I don't get 'raw format' on my list of options. What gives? What am I doing wrong? I can't seem to get textures turned into flats.

Doom flats are raw format.

Are your flats in the flat namespace? F_START, F_END markers?

In DOOM, the textures used on floors and ceilings are called "flats", and are handled differently than textures used on walls (which are called "textures").

I think that tutorial is about wall textures. Perhaps there is a tutorial about flats that can help you.

I've noticed this as well, when converting any graphic to the flat format. Sometimes it recognizes it as a flat afterwards, sometimes not. Closing and reloading the WAD rectifies this. This is certainly a bug.

So am I to understand that Slade 3 is able unable to convert graphics from the PGN format to Doom flats format?

Is there another texture/lump editor that will work better?

Eregore said:

So am I to understand that Slade 3 is able unable to convert graphics from the PGN format to Doom flats format?

PNG, not PGN. And of course it's perfectly capable of converting to flats, provided the image's dimensions qualify it as one of the types of flats (64x64, anything 320 in width, etc.).

Raw graphics, however, lack any sort of identifier, so unless there are meta cues (like being in the flat namespace), just because a lump is 4096-byte in size doesn't necessarily mean it should be treated as a flat.