Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ribbiks

hamster.wad: mini challenge map

Sat down for a couple hours tonight and made this short boom-compatible map. It's like an easier version of the timed-arena maps by ggg, enemies slowly enter the cramped room and you have to manage them before being overwhelmed.

No difficulty settings, UV or bust, good luck!

It's a one-room wad, so I don't really know what to take a screenshot of, but here ya go

download: http://www.mediafire.com/?yxbjw6zlnl0iw81

first try ey? nice work!

if you clear the enemies quickly (as you did) there certainly are some dull moments where enemies seem to enter too slowly. I may revisit this concept later on a larger scale in another map.

the music is a variation of the battle music from Final Fantasy 1, btw

FDA. That was really nice. It seemed to come down to how well I handled the AVs and how lucky I was with pain chance, to me. It's easy to see how this could be rendered trivial for a player with good aim, but for someone not quite as accurate this makes for hectic situations. :)

I would like to play this wad with autosave.wad. What would be your recommended time-frame for saving? 30 seconds, 60 seconds, 100 seconds? 200 seconds?

NoobBait said:

Awesome concept, I would love to see this explored further.

I made a timed wad like this a very long time ago and lost it before I was finished making it. Over the years I think to myself I should revisit it. Well, mayhap I will. So far (I have only made it to the first revenant) I like Ribbiks design.

Memfis said:

I just remembered a bigger map based on this idea: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15745

indeed, and of course there's always the "descent" style maps where enemies tele into a fixed space. I think the idea is 'cuter' on a small scale though.

Because of how throughly you guys seemed to dominate this I'm tempted to make a slightly more badass version :p. I think I'll accommodate difficulty settings next time too. Though with a larger version I imagine a risk you'd run is having players get bored with the early parts and having no way to 'speed' through them after dying on the latter portion.

Hellbent said:

I would like to play this wad with autosave.wad. What would be your recommended time-frame for saving? 30 seconds, 60 seconds, 100 seconds? 200 seconds?

hmm idk honestly, the rate isn't constant because the 'pillars' are higher as the fight progresses, and the rate at which they're triggered gets slower as it goes on. so I just recommend quicksaving whenever you get a free second :D

Phml said:

FDA. That was really nice. It seemed to come down to how well I handled the AVs and how lucky I was with pain chance, to me. It's easy to see how this could be rendered trivial for a player with good aim, but for someone not quite as accurate this makes for hectic situations. :)

nice play! yeah, I put a bunch of low-tier monsters after the AV so that even if you don't have immaculate aiming you should have time to dispatch the mess before the next wave of threatening baddies. It's kind of hard to envision an approach that retains a challenge for those who can kill em quickly without making it impossible for imperfect play.