Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PhantomTMac

Lost My Creativity

I actually thoroughly enjoy making maps. When I said it wasn't fun, I meant making a map that I don't like isn't fun. Otherwise, making maps I am satisfied with is a blast. Currently, I'm starting to work more in vanilla type projects to get my thoughts flowing. The map I am currently makin I've named "GettingMyCreativityBack" and I am having an amazing time working on it and the rooms are slowly becoming more vibrant. I will eventually get back to my complex maps (i.e. Silent Hill and Doom City), but I will continue working with vanilla for a while, cause it is working. I might even post the map when I'm finished. Continue leaving suggestions, though, to help me continue to get my mind working like it used to.

Vanilla maps tend to turn out a lot better, single sided lines galore opposed to saturated double sided lines making up a sector soup.

Who said vanilla maps had to be a bunch of single sided lines? :)

Anywho, you must play great maps to make great maps. Study the masters and learn from their technique. After a lot of trial and error and shameless ripoffs, you'll begin to develop a distinct, unique style which you can apply to your creative process. Never give up, never surrender. Live long and prosper. May the force be with you. I am Spartacus.

darkreaver said:

No.

Gonna have to second that. Not sure what it is about it but Slige seems to be much more inspiring than Oblige does, even though Oblige allows for much more customization.

Pavera said:

Who said vanilla maps had to be a bunch of single sided lines? :)

It's the typical distinction between Vanilla and Limit Removing, Vanilla maps will tend to be less than 60 percent double sided linedefs and limit removing over 60 percent there no exact number here but there is certainly a distinction that can be made.

PhantomTMac said:

I actually thoroughly enjoy making maps. When I said it wasn't fun, I meant making a map that I don't like isn't fun. Otherwise, making maps I am satisfied with is a blast.

So more or less you are saying that you only enjoy the process of making maps as long as that process leads to a successful map at the end of it. This is nowhere near the same as simply enjoying the creative process in and of itself. Expecting everything you do to lead to a successful map will massively limit what new things you actually try. It's one of those weird contradictions. Do lots of mapping that doesn't really go anywhere, just messing around for the hell of it, and over time you will find you have a big 'toolbox' of new and interesting things to put into an editor when it comes to actually making a map with a definite end result.

So instead of the expectation of results limiting the process of mapping, let the process drive the results. And you might just be surprised by how much the process in itself can lead you to some pretty darn good results.

Pottus said:

It's the typical distinction between Vanilla and Limit Removing, Vanilla maps will tend to be less than 60 percent double sided linedefs and limit removing over 60 percent there no exact number here but there is certainly a distinction that can be made.

Well I better delete all my vanilla maps because they're a metric crapton of double-sided lines used in them.

Hiya.

What I've done before that seemed to work was to go to the idgames ftp and look for a map that has no more than 3 stars...preferably 2 (1 is usually totally hopeless). Anyway, take that 2 or 3 star map and play it. Then open it up in you editor and think "Ok, now what I thought *should* have been in this area is...", and add it.

I've found that taking the core of a map and then "reworking" it tended to challenge my creativity by making me think of how it could be better. Everyone has an opinion...same thing as that I guess. Thinking "That was an ok room, but if I did it, I would have...", that gets your creative juices flowing again. Hopefully.

pming said:

Hiya.

What I've done before that seemed to work was to go to the idgames ftp and look for a map that has no more than 3 stars...preferably 2 (1 is usually totally hopeless). Anyway, take that 2 or 3 star map and play it. Then open it up in you editor and think "Ok, now what I thought *should* have been in this area is...", and add it.

I've found that taking the core of a map and then "reworking" it tended to challenge my creativity by making me think of how it could be better. Everyone has an opinion...same thing as that I guess. Thinking "That was an ok room, but if I did it, I would have...", that gets your creative juices flowing again. Hopefully.

Not a bad idea, if I say so myself... :)