Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

No longer can buy original Doom 3 by itself on Steam

Eris Falling said:

If id tech 4 doesn't run at all, then I can be pretty guaranteed id tech 3 will be pretty poor. 2 might be ok.

There's a pretty big gap between Id Tech 3 & 4's requirements, so not being able to run IT4 isn't a guarantee IT3 will run terribly. I can run all the IT4 games (although Quake Wars is extremely laggy. Never tried Brink), but IT5 is completely out of my computer's range.

SweatyGremlins said:

the majority of games drop out of sale at some point, so it's really nothing that worthy of outcry

But in a day and age of Steam and digital storage and downloads, they shouldn't need to. Also there's a difference when you're still selling something and then you try to repackage it with an inferior version.

It's not particularly unusual for a particular version of game (or other software) to become unavailable if a newer version or bundle becomes available. In fact, it's pretty standard fare.

I know that the new version has things that some people don't like but that's not unusual either. It doesn't surprise me that this has happened with Doom3 but it goes surprise me that so many people are surprised by it. It is interesting that they seem to be making moves to "correct" this "problem" though.

Enjay said:

It is interesting that they seem to be making moves to "correct" this "problem" though.

In their defence, removing the editor was a pretty lousy move by id.

Agentbromsnor said:

I've got the fix right here:

- Uninstall Steam
- Get out the original copy of the games

Either you already have the original copy of the game, and then you don't need a fix; or you don't and then you cannot easily buy it new anymore.

Since I've got Doom 3 on Steam, the first step would be counter-productive for me; it'd prevent the second step. :p

A few months ago, I've seen plenty of shops that still sold Final Doom and other compilations of the classic Doom's WITHOUT that shitty Steam program. Don't know about Doom 3 though. Maybe secondhand.

I tend to buy games from Steam then just get one of the cracked versions floating around anyway.

I own Doom 3 and Quake 4 on Steam for eg. (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198028466820/games/?tab=all) but use a cracked ISO instead; legally you own the game so who cares if you play the Steam removed versions.

So if people really want the original Doom 3 they can get it easily enough. Same for Doom 1 & 2 uncensored versions.

Agentbromsnor said:

A few months ago, I've seen plenty of shops that still sold Final Doom and other compilations of the classic Doom's WITHOUT that shitty Steam program. Don't know about Doom 3 though. Maybe secondhand.

You know, there isn't anything prevent you from just buying the original Doom games via steam and then copy pasting the WAD files into a source port of your choice.

Except for the pesky fact that you can't buy them on Steam anymore.

Still, it's not hard to hit up ebay or amazon or wherever and buy some version of them. Doom Collector's Edition tends to be cheap enough, plus it includes Ultimate doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom all on the same disc.

SweatyGremlins said:

I tend to buy games from Steam then just get one of the cracked versions floating around anyway.

I own Doom 3 and Quake 4 on Steam for eg. (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198028466820/games/?tab=all) but use a cracked ISO instead; legally you own the game so who cares if you play the Steam removed versions.

So if people really want the original Doom 3 they can get it easily enough. Same for Doom 1 & 2 uncensored versions.

I pirated my Doom 2 WAD too, but I own Doom on PlayStation, XBox Live, and I think I even have the floppy disk version from 1993 laying around here somewhere. I think that justifies it. :)

But I digress.

DoomUK said:

In their defence, removing the editor was a pretty lousy move by id.

I hadn't realised that was one of the changes. It is a significant change and not a good one.

I'm going to imagine with DarkRadiant it wasn't considered critical.

Or that they perhaps removed it for difficulty of porting it to modern versions of MSVC; the open source released basically has broken editor code because it depended on MSVC2003 and it doesn't work on newer compilers (nor GCC).

We use it for Phobos. I also use it for Hexen EOC(though since we've gone stand-alone on the mod, I guess it isn't the 'D3' editor anymore, strictly speaking.)

What's Phobos? Is there a D3 modding community? I assumed if it wasn't on these forums there wouldn't be one, but not a great assumption now that I think on it.

SweatyGremlins said:

Does anyone use the D3 editor?

Yes. Shockingly, these are people who want to make custom levels for Doom 3.

SweatyGremlins said:

What's Phobos?

http://www.tfuture.org/phobos/
http://www.moddb.com/mods/phobos
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Doom-3-Phobos/183555445032522?sk=wall

SweatyGremlins said:

Is there a D3 modding community?

Yes, there is. While it's never kicked off in quite the same way that Doom modding has (or modding communities based on other games for that matter), and many of the ambitious projects that were started over the years have come to an end, it's alive.

DoomUK said:

Yes. Shockingly, these are people who want to make custom levels for Doom 3.

Hey, making levels for Doom 3 is actually huge amounts of fun assuming that you have the patience for it. I have released about 3 levels on doom3.filefront.

http://doom3.filefront.com/file/Hell_Over_Here;79395

http://doom3.filefront.com/file/Hell_Over_Here;79840

http://doom3.filefront.com/file/Hell_Over_Here;86008

And I had lots of fun making them. A part of the reason is the insane level of control that the Doom 3 engine gives you over the level and what happens in it compared to making levels for Doom or Doom 2. I really did feel like I could create and do almost whatever I wanted. Doom 3 is simply an awesome game to map for. The only problem is that creating levels can be so time consuming that I have never bothered to make more then just 3 levels, and those took me a wast amount of time to make.

You've mistook one kind of facetiousness for another. I didn't mean it's shocking that people make maps for Doom 3.

And yes, they take a lot of time. But that's partly because of laborious way certain things work in the editor, such as manually dragging around vertices on patch meshes for every piece of geometry that isn't a brush. But this is another discussion for another thread, I think.

Sounds like the time requirement for Doom 3 mapping is a bit intense, always wondered why nobody made much use of that engine, though Phobos looks fun.

Strange that developers still don't make simple map editors for their games, adds so much longevity.

SweatyGremlins said:

Strange that developers still don't make simple map editors for their games, adds so much longevity.

For the most part, I think we can blame consoles for that.

I'm not anti-console, but if a given game is developed with consoles as the primary focus, the PC version being an afterthought, it makes some sense from a business point of view that designing a user-friendly level editor that only a niche is going to play around with just isn't worth the time and expense.

In the case of the BFG edition it's even more bizarre, as the editor(s) that ship with the original game are the same tools used by id. Removing those tools makes no sense at all.

DoomUK said:

For the most part, I think we can blame consoles for that.

I'm not anti-console, but if a given game is developed with consoles as the primary focus, the PC version being an afterthought, it makes some sense from a business point of view that designing a user-friendly level editor that only a niche is going to play around with just isn't worth the time and expense.

In the case of the BFG edition it's even more bizarre, as the editor(s) that ship with the original game are the same tools used by id. Removing those tools makes no sense at all.

What do consoles have to do with not having editors for games? I'm sorry, but that sounds pretty retarded, no offence. If anything, there have been more games on consoles that include leveleditors (TimeSplitters series, every FarCry game, Pariah).

If you ask me, the reason why editors are less common with PC games these days, is because of licensing isues. More and more games use propriety engines, and the big name publishers (EA, Activision) don't like it when people use their licensed software. Its all about control. At least, thats the impression that I'm getting.

Agentbromsnor said:

If anything, there have been more games on consoles that include leveleditors (TimeSplitters series, every FarCry game, Pariah).

Whereas the PC only has every Doom game (besides BFG), every Quake game, every Call of Duty game, every Unreal game, every Half-Life game, every Elder Scrolls game since Morrowind, every Battlefield game, every Crysis game, and scores more I can't recall off the top of my head.

So yeah, clearly level editors are more common for console games. Not to mention consoles being better suited for the task, because using a controller to build maps from scratch is so much easier than using a mouse and keyboard.

Sarcasm aside, try not to call people's opinions "retarded" and then make statements like the one you made in the next breath.

DoomUK said:

Whereas the PC only has every Doom game (besides BFG), every Quake game, every Call of Duty game, every Unreal game, every Half-Life game, every Elder Scrolls game since Morrowind, every Battlefield game, every Crysis game, and scores more I can't recall off the top of my head.

So yeah, clearly level editors are more common for console games. Not to mention consoles being better suited for the task, because using a controller to build maps from scratch is so much easier than using a mouse and keyboard.

Sarcasm aside, try not to call people's opinions "retarded" and then make statements like the one you made in the next breath.

I never wrote that leveleditors are more common with consoles, what the hell are you on about? I was just pointing out that its not impossible for console-games to have editors.

And yes, blaming one type of game platform for developers not putting editors into their games IS retarded. Like I mentioned before, this is most likely because of licensing issues which are getting worse and worse these days. Companies want CONTROL over their investments.

Agentbromsnor said:

If anything, there have been more games on consoles that include leveleditors (TimeSplitters series, every FarCry game, Pariah).

TimeSplitter's "level editor" is so simplistic that it barely counts as a level editing program. The only thing you can really do with it is putting together different pre-defined hallways and rooms like legos until you have something that slightly resembles a map. I still had some fun with the level editor from TimeSplitters: Future Perfect, but its still pretty worthless in terms of complexity.