Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 1 [please post in part 2 instead]

Two COMPET-N questions:

1. Is the release of DOOM available on Steam kosher for COMPET-N speedruns?

2. "MMH: (not accepted anymore!)" ... Why? This was my favorite category... just never got around to getting vanilla to run on my machine (see previous question) or I'd have lit up the boards :-(

rrwoods said:

Yeah, you can use that. Unlike previous releases that used Doom95, the Steam releases use id's DOS executable files through DOSBox.

rrwoods said:

Two COMPET-N questions:

Yes
If you want to record and improve current speed/nm/max you should try our new client (for Competition Doom only):
http://doom.com.hr/forum/viewtopic.php?style=3&f=10&t=103

rrwoods said:

2. "MMH: (not accepted anymore!)" ... Why? This was my favorite category... just never got around to getting vanilla to run on my machine (see previous question) or I'd have lit up the boards :-(

I'm sorry for that but you can send it to DSDA and you can still post it here, I think they'll accept it.

I've removed my previous gibberish for the sake of positivity :)

fx02 said:
If you want to record and improve current speed/nm/max you should try our new client (for Competition Doom only):

So, is this being used instead of vanilla? If people are going to be using different engines the engine used should be noted in the text file (as is usual when people record.) I saw your news post on the site but it's not clear if the engine is for recording or what. Your level 6 respawn seems to be recorded with vanilla, if I interpret what you say in the text file correctly. Also... what about the new text file format? In fact, the original Compet~n text file always noted exactly what engine was used to record. This new text file doesn't say anything about it.

COMPET-N -> doom2.exe (vanilla) -> old database -> http://www.doom.com.hr?page=compet-n_database
= Nothing changed, except now you have database and scores for all wads

CNDOOM (Competition Doom) -> cndoom.exe -> new database -> http://www.doom.com.hr/competition.php

CNDOOM is 100% compatible with vanilla demos but demos recorded with CNDOOM will NOT be accepted for COMPET-N database.

As I stated few times, COMPET-N will be untouched and stay as is. I recorded RE06 with vanilla.

Lets see if I get it:

There are two databases based on the same pool of previous Compet~n demos, except Competition Doom also includes new CNDoom demos and Compet~n only includes vanilla (including new demos)? So, your re06 demo would be valid for both databases?

In any case, please add the engine (executable) to the template.

Yes two databases but doom2.exe demos goes to db1, and cndoom.exe demos goes to db2. So re06 is only for db1.
Template probably confused you.
Ok, I can add engine line. Please do suggest more if any. Thank you.

Hello,
I've read both the old and "new" Compet-N site rules, and I have two questions to ask:

1 - "Various DOOM spinning utilities are allowed".
Like which ones? And where can I find them? Sorry if it has been discussed before, but I couldn't anything regarding this.

2 - Playing on Boom, I use the "Z" key to select the Rocket Launcher, the "X" key to select the Plasma Rifle and the "C" key in order to select the BFG9000. Is there any way I assign those keys to my Doom2.exe?

Thanks a lot!

1ntru said:

1 - "Various DOOM spinning utilities are allowed".
Like which ones? And where can I find them? Sorry if it has been discussed before, but I couldn't anything regarding this.

The one that comes to mind is Yonatan Donner using DKS to do lv15-041, specifically to do a couple rapid flips after the first teleport. Spinners never caught on in any great way, as they really only help keyboarders.

1ntru said:

2 - Playing on Boom, I use the "Z" key to select the Rocket Launcher, the "X" key to select the Plasma Rifle and the "C" key in order to select the BFG9000. Is there any way I assign those keys to my Doom2.exe?

you can't remap these in vanilla doom. i wouldn't be surprised if there existed utilities that remap keys on your keyboard on the system level, those would work. it 7ould have a bun7h of une6pe7ted side-effe7ts though.

TNT MAP28 UV-Fast in 4:58

Down goes a 12-year-old record. This demo is 121 seconds faster than Ryback's 2000 demo.
My debut demo and South America's first ever C-N demo. And I'm really happy for that!!!

ef28-458.zip

this is not the first compet-n demo by a south american player. Myk has done a uv speed for mm2 map24 back in 2003.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:
Well, I havn't do any C-N before, so I don't know if this counts or not.
There's havn't any runs of UV-Fast in Twilight Zone 2 yet, so this will be my 1st run of Map05.

Twilight Zone 2 Map05 UV-Fast in 3:56

Nope, Compet~n demos play on DOOM II, the Ultimate DOOM, Plutonia, TNT: Evilution, Memento Mori, Memento Mori II, Hell Revealed, Requiem, Alien Vendetta or the Classic Episode, and they use the corresponding DOS executable files (not a source port).

I can't move the above post. Apparently, this thread has reached the limit breached by the first part of the Miscellaneous Demos thread! Do not post new demos here, only comments replying to recent posts. Use the second part of this thread instead.

xit-vono said:

this is not the first compet-n demo by a south american player. Myk has done a uv speed for mm2 map24 back in 2003.

I wish I could be so efficient at sucking out enthusiasm.
:D

myk said:

I can't move the above post. Apparently, this thread has reached the limit breached by the first part of the Miscellaneous Demos thread!

Why not trying to find a way to fix it instead of butchering threads? Is to so unfixable that it can't even be more unfixable?

j4rio said:

Why not trying to find a way to fix it instead of butchering threads? Is to so unfixable that it can't even be more unfixable?

A PHP limitation on the size of an HTML POST request, which we can't change at the moment.

Abouth South America , it´s kind of my fault, as here I showed the players from that continent didn´t have any points, and also wrongly assumed no-one had tried (only 2 days after that did I realize about myk´s demo as well).

I won the thread as it has come to an end now and I have 141 posts :-P

Well, I'm not sure how to understand the "at the moment". If it's fixable at some point, then both misc. demos thread and c-n one could be merged back sometime. Or should I treat the "at the moment" as a neater way of saying never ever?

j4rio said:

I wish I could be so efficient at sucking out enthusiasm.
:D

Heh, actually, you wish it sucked out my enthusiasm. This might not have been the first demo from South America but it's the very first demo from my country and that's enough to me. Now I'm already thinking of what I should record next!

It's also the first South American record that beats another player's record, since mine was a "table filler".