Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sarcose

Where's the best place to find multiplayer games?

Right now I'm looking at Doomseeker and there are about six active games, most passworded or ones I'm not interested in/can't play for some error or other.

I've been Dooming for practically all my gaming life, but I've only recently tried to find multiplayer games. I'm starving man, help me out.

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it tonight to the beta test but I do have some weekdays and mostly weekends available. And I'll definitely need to check out ZDaemon. I already have Zandronum just because I wanted to try out some ZDoom stuff but I've barely found any active games on Doomseeker :(

using IDE will let you monitor the situation better as it supports all the three major multiplayer ports.

Nice, nice. Thank you both.

I knew there was a booming multiplayer community just under the surface here, but I was having a hard time finding it. I believe I have plenty of solid leads now.

I must say I wish I had been using this forum account sooner (it was created in 2004 I believe but I made one thread with it and that was it). I've been lurking a lot, and the discussions in these threads are both fascinating and extremely jovial and friendly. This looks like a great community.

Zandronum's Friday Night Fragfest and Saturday Night Survival also draw huge crowds of up to 32 people for the Americas and for European players too.

Odamex hosts the International Doom League and various other tournaments, and is emerging as the competitive standard. In contrast to ZDaemon, it's open source and not run by douchebags. In contrast to Zandronum (which is run by nice guys :) ) it supports old school play that's more faithful to the original Doom, while still offering newschool features optionally.

I would suggest getting Doomseeker and installing Odamex and Zandronum. Don't install ZDaemon unless you want evil to penetrate your soul so deeply that your skin melts off.

You should also join some IRC channels. Doomseeker has an IRC client, and you should connect to Quakenet (irc.quakenet.org), channels #odamex and #idl. I don't know the info for Zandronum. Half the fun of multiplayer is talking shit on IRC, you don't want to miss out on that.

^obvious butthurt :P

Yes, restating what others have said, Odamex and Zdaemon are more faithful to the original game while Zandronum modernizes it (eg, GL, FPS cap lifted, 3D floors, etc)

Haha. I actually have a bot that scans Doomworld for the words "ZDaemon" and "feminazi", and I'm always ready to strike.

Avoid butthurt. Avoid ZDaemon.

Butthurt on the internet is a small price to pay for potentially acquiring a gaming experience or two... I'm still gonna try it.

What's the worst that could happen? I get yelled at and banned from ever coming back? Someone stalks me on Doomworld?

Edit: I've tried out everything except Odamex tonight. ZDaemon seems to be choppy and I can't switch its resolution apparently. I don't know if it's something in the settings or what. It's quite irritating.

I tried zdaemon for the first time last night and really like it. I wasn't sure at first if it was lag or a bad video mode that caused it to be choppy but it turned out it IS very sensitive to lag. Play with a < 100 ping and you should be fine. I can't tell if someone else with a bad ping can ruin it for you, though.

I played on the server evolution mentioned above last night. It had fast monsters and apparently increased damage and it was practically impossible and emptied quick. One of the other players apparently started another server with that wad and it was a lot of fun. After a couple months of playing nothing but straight coop, though, new maps in survival mode was stressful.

I also registered on the zdaemon forum. I've registered on half a dozen or so forums this year and every single one of them has required account activation by an admin, and not a single one of them has been activated within 24 hours. In a couple I never got activated on and a couple I had to email the admin. I understand spam control, but running off new members is hardly a good practice.

Sarcose said:

ZDaemon seems to be choppy [...]

qoncept said:

I wasn't sure at first if it was lag or a bad video mode that caused it to be choppy [...]

Not sure what sort of 'choppiness' you two were experiencing, but keep in mind that ZDaemon has a fixed framerate of 35fps like vanilla Doom. People that are used to the uncapped framerate from G/ZDoom/PrBoom+ might find that irritating at first.

Sarcose said:

[...] I can't switch its resolution apparently. I don't know if it's something in the settings or what. It's quite irritating.

I contacted you on irc to help with your issue, but you sadly didn't respond :(

qoncept said:

[...] but it turned out it IS very sensitive to lag. Play with a < 100 ping and you should be fine.

A high ping should not really have a very noticeable impact on game feel. Maybe you can elaborate in what way the game degrades with a high ping. Maybe it was related to something else.

qoncept said:

I can't tell if someone else with a bad ping can ruin it for you, though.

Nope. The ping of others does not matter.

qoncept said:

I understand spam control, but running off new members is hardly a good practice.

No worries. When you followed the instructions after forum account creation about messaging an admin on irc to activate your account then it will be done in mostly less than 24 hours.

[QUOTE]phenex2 said:

Not sure what sort of 'choppiness' you two were experiencing, but keep in mind that ZDaemon has a fixed framerate of 35fps like vanilla Doom. People that are used to the uncapped framerate from G/ZDoom/PrBoom+ might find that irritating at first.

There were definitely some good servers and some bad, so I don't think it was a framerate issue. But what was actually going on is hard to explain. You know how on a REALLY laggy server, in some games, when you're running around the server will reset your position to several "feet" away, where you "actually" are? It was like it was doing that, except maybe after a single out-of-sync tic so the movement was very small. Just enough to make it look jumpy. Best guess, anyway.

No worries. When you followed the instructions after forum account creation about messaging an admin on irc to activate your account then it will be done in mostly less than 24 hours.

Might I suggest, then, you at least put that instruction in the confirmation email that is sent after completing registration. I'm sure you don't read every single word on every single webpage you see, and forum registration is a pretty wordy and identical affair from one forum to the next.

qoncept said:

[...] when you're running around the server will reset your position to several "feet" away, where you "actually" are? It was like it was doing that, except maybe after a single out-of-sync tic so the movement was very small. Just enough to make it look jumpy.

This should only happen when you collide with other moving objects (like players) in the map. With high ping it will then skip for a tic and correct your position. There are solutions to mask such error correction, but they introduce other problems (especially in a game like doom where players move extremely fast).

qoncept said:

Might I suggest, then, you at least put that instruction in the confirmation email that is sent after completing registration. I'm sure you don't read every single word on every single webpage you see [...]

I'll see if that can be done, but i have the feeling that people that don't read the single message that pops up right after registration will likely not read the mail either. It might increase the chance slightly though :)

qoncept said:

I played on the server evolution mentioned above last night. It had fast monsters and apparently increased damage and it was practically impossible and emptied quick. One of the other players apparently started another server with that wad and it was a lot of fun. After a couple months of playing nothing but straight coop, though, new maps in survival mode was stressful.

Sounds like you joined the euro sesh VERY late on, as we entered the PAIN rotation after completing the wad once using normal settings. We are considering options like having another euro server with fixed settings (no hard mode shenanigans). Hit us up in the TNS section of the zd forums!

Yeah, I think he joined when we were on map16 for the second time. (Which btw shows that there is nothing impossible about these settings, you just have to play carefully and don't take risks. It might be a bit tedious at times but it's an interesting change of pace.)

We are considering options like having another euro server with fixed settings (no hard mode shenanigans).

I like this idea, it should please everyone. :)

Memfis said:

Yeah, I think he joined when we were on map16 for the second time. (Which btw shows that there is nothing impossible about these settings, you just have to play carefully and don't take risks. It might be a bit tedious at times but it's an interesting change of pace.)

I like this idea, it should please everyone. :)

Yeah, I was being as careful as I possibly could. My 3rd or 4th attempt I was able to fight of the demons by hiding behind some crates with a chainsaw (after failing at doing it just that way the first few times). Once I saw a revenant it was game over. Maybe with a few other players to spread out the fire and some weapons it's possible. I'm definitely not great but on a server with average players I can hold my own.

I realized what my resolution problem actually was. I found how to make all the text smaller ; it was gigantic. The result was the illusion that I was zoomed way in and everything was messed up. But after shrinking the text down everything looked better.

As to the choppiness, perhaps I have grown unused to vanilla FPS, but I swear it seemed choppier than normal. I used to play vanilla a lot, pure keyboarder, and I didn't have as much trouble hitting things then as I do now with a mouse in ZDaemon.

Sarcose said:

I found how to make all the text smaller ; it was gigantic.

Wait if the text was gigantic ... were you using 320x200? Anyways, you might want to check the ZDaemon FAQ. It addresses the text size and a lot of other features a newcomer might want to adjust.

phenex2 said:
This should only happen when you collide with other moving objects (like players) in the map. With high ping it will then skip for a tic and correct your position. There are solutions to mask such error correction, but they introduce other problems (especially in a game like doom where players move extremely fast).

Whatever it was happened constantly on laggy servers.

I'll see if that can be done, but i have the feeling that people that don't read the single message that pops up right after registration will likely not read the mail either. It might increase the chance slightly though :)

There are a million identical forums and the same message pops up on every one. I saw no reason to suspect this one would be any different so I didn't read it and I doubt I'm the only one.

Zandronum has something called "unlagged" if you're having hitscan shooting issues - it's a "working" method that compensates for the ping and time delay between server response and user input to help even out the playing field a bit.

BloodyAcid said:

Zandronum has something called "unlagged" if you're having hitscan shooting issues - it's a "working" method that compensates for the ping and time delay between server response and user input to help even out the playing field a bit.

Odamex, Zandronum and ZDaemon all have something they call "unlagged", but there are probably subtle differences in the implementation of each. To be precise, Unlagged allows you to aim directly at other players instead of having to lead them, because the server will 'rewind' the targets when resolving hits.

On another note, does anyone else find it odd that Doomworld still hasn't brought back its multiplayer forum? It used to exist ages ago, and it seems like there's a lot more multiplayer discussion than there used to be...why not bring it back?

I just did a little research into which clients could recognize the F13-F24 keys. Well actually I only tried it with F14 but I assume if it can recognize one it can recognize any.

Anyway, I have a razer naga and I have jump, other stuff bound to it. I did this by binding its sidebuttons to random innocuous keys on the keyboard. But I'd prefer using my F13-F24 profile so I can leave the normal keys out of it. So I tested the compatibility and here's what I found: Zdoom and Zandronum both recognize the extra F keys. GZDoom as well (go figure). I tested Odamex, Skulltag, and Zdaemon and all of them do not recognize the keys. I did not test vanilla but I am assuming it wouldn't work.

Edit: Ehhhhh, it seems to be very glitchy. Perhaps that is because I use my naga to macro the keys rather than having bound them specifically to it. F14 binds but doesn't seem to work. But F13 does, so does F16. I really should research how keyboard signaling works.