Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eregore

New Heretic Community Project?

I have noticed a lack of competent Heretic episodes. Is there any interest in making a new Heretic community project? It could include a new texture pack to make it distinct. The most frustrating thing about Heretic is its lack of hit-scanners. Perhaps a new enemy could be designed to fill this void. I don't know how to do this, but perhaps someone else from the community could step up to the plate.

An alternative to this idea would be to make a new Doom community project, which borrows the architectural and textural themes (medieval/fantasy) from Heretic. It could also include a similar texture pack to be used. The difference being that the exciting enemies/weapons/game-play of Doom would still be intact.

Is there any interest in this? Are either of these WAD ideas the type you'd be interested in playing, or perhaps mapping for?

I'm always all for a new Heretic episode/project. The slight resurgence it's seen the past couple of years has been great. Of course, I'd need to see something of a little substance before I went and dived right into it :)

I'd personally like to see a Community project where there are no new textures. The stock textures are great as they are and texture packs usually end up detracting from the special atmosphere that makes Heretic what it is.

I see Deathevokation's point, too many new textures are not that good for the atmosphere, especially when they do not match to the original ones. Yet, a small, decent amount of some textures might be a good idea, Heretic just has a very small selection of textures. But, as I said, not too many new textures, the mapper should still be "forced" to use a lot of the original stuff so that the map does not lose the Heretic feeling to it.

Although I have a lot of work a the moment, I might do something if there would be a new project for Heretic indeed, just because I love that game.

But one querstion I have to ask you: What is a hit scanner?
edit: ok I think I just found out what this is, a enemy like the shotgunner from doom? Hmm, I don't really know if I would like something like this in Heretic, in my opinion it is better to see the projectiles, and i think fireballs and magic missiles fit better in the world of HEretic than a hitscan-enemy (although I know dragonclaw and wand are hitscanners as well, but this is something else :D).
Yet, I think a new enemy would be nice, but it is very important that it does fit to the rest in terms of graphical style. I think Realm 667 provides some nice Heretic-style enemies.

hex11 said:

Blasphemer needs lots of maps. Just sayin'...

Is Blasphemer texture-compatible with Heretic like Freedoom is with Doom 2? If so, I see no reason why a project like this couldn't be used as a map set for Blasphemer as well as an add-on for Heretic.

Yeah it's pretty much a Heretic equivalent of Freedoom:
https://code.google.com/p/blasphemer/

But instead of Boom, the target port is limit-removing vanilla. And its texture list is a superset of those in Heretic. The textures are a bit darker in theme though, kinda like a cross between Heretic and Hexen.

I played some Heretic PWADs with it, works fine. I mean other than the fact that most of the monster sprites are still missing (I just loaded the missing ones from Heretic).

BTW, the few SP maps it has currently are quite good. Check 'em out! The DM maps are just retextured FreeDM maps.

Average said:

Silly question time: How would I load the Heretic monsters into Blasphemer?

Grab the sprites and sounds from the Heretic IWAD, put them in a small WAD file, load it as a mod for the Blasphemer IWAD.

Alternatively, delete all placeholder sprites and sounds from Blasphemer and load it as a mod for Heretic.

It seem to me like HPack isn't a project for people who like and want to see more maps for Heretic.

You mean, whom is it for.

It's for the same person who enjoy projects like Zpack, KDIZD and Stronghold.

HPack is like Heretic expanded with new monsters, textures, Hexen format mapping, stuff like that. If you don't like that sort of stuff, maybe it's not for you. I would like to see a simple Vanilla / limit removing mapset for Heretic, though. Maps with decent challenge without the slaughter.