Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Processingcontrol said:

AV changes the automap names if you use the DEH file.

Whatever, I don't know what it is at all.

Cell said:

Whatever, I don't know what it is at all.

Uh... it's a file that, uh, ends with .DEH on the name. ;-)
I believe this format is compatible with the old DOS Doom.

<sourceport name>.exe (or Doom.exe) -file <mod name>.wad -file <mod name>.DEH

I almost always get bored of Doom II by the time I get to MAP08. I have played the earlier maps countless times with the intention of going all the way. MAP07 is always fun so maybe MAP08 just really sucks? I have only completed Doom II once and it was way back in 1994. I have, however, completed both Plutonia and TNT numerous times, and it's scary the number of times I've completed Episode 1 of Doom. Maybe the levels of both games start off well and go a little bit crapola?

Oh Deeforce, I play a lot of WADs thankfully. Many of them make Doom II look dated. I can't diss Doom II too much though. It gave us a bunch of new enemies and a new weapon, all of which I like and sometimes yearn for when I'm playing Ultimate Doom WADs, all except the Pain Elemental though. You can shove him/her/it. There's only one thing more annoying than Lost Souls and that's the buggers that spawn them. lol

savagegrant said:

Oh Deeforce, I play a lot of WADs thankfully. Many of them make Doom II look dated. I can't diss Doom II too much though. It gave us a bunch of new enemies and a new weapon, all of which I like and sometimes yearn for when I'm playing Ultimate Doom WADs, all except the Pain Elemental though. You can shove him/her/it. There's only one thing more annoying than Lost Souls and that's the buggers that spawn them. lol

In all fairness though, if none of the enemies were annoying, then I doubt the game would be as fun.

Eris Falling said:

In all fairness though, if none of the enemies were annoying, then I doubt the game would be as fun.

Not true. The maps without pain elementals are more fun than the maps with. Revenants can be used right but when used wrong are no fun.

PE's aren't too bad. I think most people hate them because they force you to play more strategic.

I love fighting Pain Elementals when their Lost Souls are blocking the shots, it's somewhat of a fun challenge which makes killing them satisfying.

I like Pain Elementals and Lost Souls too. But I don't like Lost Souls in Doom3 and 64.

In Doom3 I don't like them because they're so jumpy, and it's difficult to predict where they're going to jump after shooting them once.

In Doom64 I like that they're more aggressive and attack more often, but I hate that the "skullfly" speed is so high.

Some more confessions...

- I haven't played multiplayer Doom since 1996 which is when I became addicted to QuakeWorld, especially the TeamFortress mod.
- I always strive to finish every level I play with 100% completion. If I haven't found all of the secrets, I'll type IDBEHOLDA to get the automap and if I still can't find a secret then I'll open the level in Doom Builder and search for it there.
- I really LOVE explosive barrels and feel that there is never enough of them in most levels. The satisfaction of gibbing enemies near barrels never gets old. I really HATE it when I kill a bunch enemies and then realise that they could have been lured towards barrels and gibbed there.
- I don't like total conversions at all. Not even the official ones like HacX, Strife or Chex Quest. I'm not even a fan of most new enemies or weapons in PWADs. The general lack of original weapons and enemies really makes me appreciate what id managed to achieve with Doom and again with Doom II. You just have to look at FreeDoom to see how hard it is to get it right.
- I've never been able to play Wolfenstein 3D for more than about 10 minutes at a time without getting a headache, so I haven't even finished the first episode. I suffer the same problem with Spear of Destiny and other games that use the same engine, except Rise of the Triad which I probably could have completed but never did.

savagegrant said:

except Rise of the Triad which I probably could have completed but never did.

I'm always surprised at how much love ROTT gets. I just always thought it wasn't a very good game. It had a lot of things that set it apart at the time (bullet holes in the walls, jumping, begging enemies, carrying a single weapon) but nothing has ever had the character of Doom.

I invariably curse a blue streak if something really unfortunate happens to me during play. This draws all sorts of odd looks in my direction, often followed by "it's only a game".

They just don't understand Doom.

qoncept said:

I'm always surprised at how much love ROTT gets. I just always thought it wasn't a very good game. It had a lot of things that set it apart at the time (bullet holes in the walls, jumping, begging enemies, carrying a single weapon) but nothing has ever had the character of Doom.

When I first played ROTT as a kid I had a blast with how wild and crazy and gimmicky much of it was, but to play it all the way through would have been too much of a chore. It really does get repetitive and boring. It's amazing how much monster variation and HEIGHT variation in maps makes a difference, ROTT has neither.

But shrooms mode has to be one of the highlight features of early 90s gaming.

SwarmOfOrphans said:

Honestly, I preferd the sega saturn version of Doom than any other

Played it only a few times on the Saturn - seemed like a even slower PSX version with less distortion.

_bruce_ said:

Played it only a few times on the Saturn - seemed like a even slower PSX version with less distortion.

I've never played it at all, but from what I understand it's a bad port of the PSX port, which in turn was a port of the Jaguar port, neither of which didn't hold a candle to PC Doom on a technical level.

There's a lot of things I love about PSX Doom, and I can understand people preferring small details in the other console versions (I'm very fond of the HUD in Saturn Doom), but I don't know how inferior ports of the original PC game can be preferred, let alone when you compare them to modern source ports. Though I guess that's why it's a confession.

I just started playing CC4, got to MAP03, thought 'meh', and quit. Before quitting, however, I warped to map31 and map32 to see if they are something special. They weren't (I always assume that secret levels should be unique somehow, like in IWADs). I think that I got bored of classic map design after Alien Vendetta and a half of CC 1. I even like jokewads and 1994 maps more than that, at least there are something SPECIAL and DIFFERENT in them. Yep.

- I haven't played many of the classic megawads. I've played CC1, CC2 and Hell Revealed 1 & 2 but that's it.

- I don't like new textures, skins or weapons. I prefer my Doom game as classic as possible.

- I don't like large, flashy levels. I prefer my levels as close in design and idea to the original Doom levels as possible. Some new stuff is neat, such as colored smoke and stuff like that, but overall what I'm after is playing levels that remind me of the experience I have when I play Doom - Only with new levels.

- I've beaten Doom 1 & 2 innumerable times, always on UV. I've beaten Final Doom at least twice, not as much. I prefer Doom 2.

If a map persists in using repeated cheap ambushes/traps that are generally impossible to survive without knowing almost EXACTLY how to get out of it, I'm prone to RQ by the third of these 'traps'.

There are ridiculous but reasonable challenges, and then there's constant bullshit.

I made Zdoom show a missing graphic placeholder.. instead of TITLEPIC. In the same PWAD, I've mistaken sound filenames and every time I pick up a small item, it says "fuck you, man!"

I think I have an Arch-Vile fetish. Not the same way Maes has a Cybie fetish mind you, but I always seem to use at least one in almost every map I make. It's weird.

DoomUK said:

I've never played it at all, but from what I understand it's a bad port of the PSX port, which in turn was a port of the Jaguar port, neither of which didn't hold a candle to PC Doom on a technical level.

There's a lot of things I love about PSX Doom, and I can understand people preferring small details in the other console versions (I'm very fond of the HUD in Saturn Doom), but I don't know how inferior ports of the original PC game can be preferred, let alone when you compare them to modern source ports. Though I guess that's why it's a confession.

Don't know about the HUD - looks strange too me, like done by a modder. The Saturn version's claim to fame seem to be that it "runs"(Japan version), or crawls, on the Saturn and has cool box/cover artwork.
The colored lighting is gone too, which in itself was a gimmick but tended to look cool and give the PSX version at least some novum to be seen as an addition to the Doom realm.
If you happen to find an old Saturn and Doom - play it... as a fan of Doom it's kinda required in a sense of historical perspective.

I play with CL_RUN ON all the time. When there is some platforming or similiar challenge then I just push shift to move slower.