Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mystery Man in 3D

DOOM, School, & You

Talk about your greatest DOOM experiences while you are/were in school.

Mine:
My senior year of High School (2005-2006), I'd repeatedly sneak into the Business-Service-Technology classroom during lunchtime and start deathmatches and/or co-ops (using DOOM Legacy) with whoever was willing to join in. I actually made good friends that way, who are STILL my good friends to this day, including Metal*, UT*, Techie*, and Newbie*.

One day after lunch, the four computers I had loaded DOOM Legacy on that day completely crashed. They reportedly had to be wiped clean and reformatted, and as punishment, I was banned from that room for the rest of the year. One of my greatest school memories, my grandma even had me draw a cartoon about that incident for display at my Open House.

Other fond memories include I and my classmate DJ* basing our WWII propaganda poster on Wolfenstein 3-D (which is actually how he first heard of and started playing the game, and DOOM), and also creating an anti Vietnam War song based on E1M8: Sign of Evil. It was titled "Stop the Senseless Fighting", but unfortunately I don't remember the lyrics...

*Names have been altered to respect privacy.

Mystery Man in 3D said:

One day after lunch, the four computers I had loaded DOOM Legacy on that day completely crashed. They reportedly had to be wiped clean and reformatted,

Sounds like bullshit to me. I think you were lied to.

In 1994, a teacher used to run an after school role-playing club and sometimes we'd set up some of the networked computers to play Doom deathmatch/coop and we'd all have a go at level editing and so on.

Of course, I was the teacher. :P

fraggle said:

Sounds like bullshit to me. I think you were lied to.

I'm pretty sure you speak the truth. I had problems with a lot of the teachers there...

@Enjay:
Except for level editing, I do wanna do that for teens at my local library. The problems are:
1. I live in a small town.
2. No one (or very few people) ever comes to events at that library.
3. Kids and teens who come to that library have absolutely no interest for classic retro games like DOOM, and instead play shitty browser and/or flash games.

I was 8 or 9 when Doom hit the world, and I recall pretending to play Doom on the playground with a couple friends. We'd play Alien Vs. Predator as well :D

Man, every time I think about that I always want to look them up but we lost touch LONG ago. I always wonder if they stayed Doom fans and contributed to the community in some way, but never saw anything from either of them. They were brothers; one's name was Matt and the older one was Ryan, last name Savage. Don't suppose it rings anyone's bells?

I had a substitute teacher tell me about how slow Doom used to run on his computer after he caught me playing Skulltag. Too bad he got fired the next year...

When I used to work at my college, all I did was play Doom on the Mac. Not the best experience, but it's my only Doom-in-school experience. Can't believe I got payed minimum wage to play Doom and listen to Metal. X)

I'd play it. A lot.

During lessons were we had PC access, when everyone else was fucking around with coursework, I'd be trying not to look like I was enjoying Doom II instead.

Do Quake stories count?

We used to play Quake II deathmatch in college whenever the computer labs weren't being occupied with more serious work. Good times.

In highschool we had to take a mandatory typing class in order to get into more advanced computer classes, which made absolutely no sense since everyone already had typing classes in gradeschool. Our teacher was sympathetic and basically let us do whatever we wanted, so there was a lot of Doom, UT, emulated SNES games and pretty much anything else that could be installed and played without a disc.

Dragonsbrethren said:

In highschool we had to take a mandatory typing class in order to get into more advanced computer classes, which made absolutely no sense since everyone already had typing classes in gradeschool. Our teacher was sympathetic and basically let us do whatever we wanted, so there was a lot of Doom, UT, emulated SNES games and pretty much anything else that could be installed and played without a disc.

Almost all the computers in my school were in that state, not just the BST ones :P.

This was before I even knew about flash drives, but I always took in a burned DOOM Legacy CD and loaded its contents into the systems' "thawspaces", the one place where stuff didn't get deleted every time the computer shut down.

I've owned numerous flash drives since then (my very first one was only 256MB). Now I have two 8GB thumb drives, and a 1TB external hard drive, and I use them to play Vanilla DOOM II, DOOM Legacy, Risen3D, ZDaemon, DOOM 64 EX, DOOM 3, and all its mods, and more, on any computer I ever access...

Oh yeah, I once brought a flash drive with Wolf3d and a win32 executable to school. Didn't get caught but felt I brought too much attention to myself anyway so I didn't do it again. That school had a lot of classes that required use of the school's computers so getting banned would have been a big deal.

I never played any Doom at school unfortunately. When I was in 11th grade, a friend of mine had an idea to get Skulltag onto the programming computers so we could play, but that never happened. I do, however, remember in 9th grade health class where we watched a video that basically amounted to the typical "violent video games make you shoot up your school1!!" spiel, and featured a kid playing 32x Doom at the very start. We had to hear that horrible fart rendition of E1M1 I think twice before it showed him actually playing the game for about 5 seconds. I felt really embarrassed over that for some reason.

I managed to get Doom on the school's network, so that it could be accessed from any computer in the building. Guess what people did during computers classes.

I remember playing my crappy Wolfenstein 3D mod at school once. I also played a little bit of Doom as well when I brought it on a thumb drive.

I never played Doom at school but I did bring a Doom guide in, which lead to me getting to know my best friend.

In my senior year, I got GZDoom etc. on a row of 7 computers and on my teacher's computer so during every AP Computer Science class I would just play Doom as would everyone else. The funny bit is that everyone from the grade 1 students to the grade 12 students knew that it was there and many of them played it during their classes as well. My teacher was playing it during all the classes he had to teach in the lab. It was an awesome class.

i didn't exactly play Doom at my school, but the school i went to, we were allowed to install games on our computers, so i installed some old computer games on my and started playing on it (Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine and Dark Forces II were the games i played there).

the next year, that rule was abolished; however, there was no rule permitting us from not downloading and installing games on the computer (actually there kinda was but i never got caught for it anyway). since i didn't know how to get Doom onto my computer though i just downloaded Freedoom and played it on there.

nowadays i don't really care about playing Doom on other computers, since i rather do other stuff on there, but i bet it would be easy enough to do that should i want to anyway. all i'd need to do is get IWADs and download a source port, and bam, i've gotten all the Doom engine games up and running in no time!

My senior year I took a "programming" class with a teacher who didn't know what she was doing. She used to be a typing instructor and kind of fell into the position after the previous teacher left. Needless to say, I didn't learn a damn thing about programming from that teacher, and it ended up just being a free-for-all game fest the entire year. Early on I stuck to playing Doom or emulating console games on my own, but after a while I decided that just wasn't enough for me and tried to bring others into the action.

The biggest problem with these game fests was finding a means of distributing the games onto the computers. Every computer in the school had software installed that would revert the computer back to a set state upon restart, so any files or programs installed on the computers would be lost. I imagine this was put in place to help prevent virus outbreaks from the less intelligent students/teachers.

There was one major flaw with this design, however. Every computer in the school had read-only access to a series of network drives that was for teacher/admin access only. Through some kind of IT fuckup, one of these network drives was never set to read only and anybody could save files on it. I ended up taking advantage of this and put full copies of Doom (Skulltag), Unreal Tournament, Quake, and the original Halo on this drive, which I would then use to set up classroom-wide deathmatches. Unreal Tournament and Halo turned out to be the most popular of the games, but I have on several occasions set up 16-player Skulltag CTF matches which were quite a lot of fun.

Word spread about this unprotected network drive, and on many occasions there would be cross-classroom Halo games going on. Teachers were baffled as to how so many students were able to gain access to these games. Apparently it went unnoticed for two after I graduated, even. Go high school sysadmins!

I played Doom over school library computers since they had a "whatever you want, long as it's not xxx" policy and got a nice 8-9 player deathmatch going.

We didn't play any games on the computers at my school, but a friend of mine made a scarily accurate recreation of the school library (complete with monster versions of the librarians). We used to play it deathmatch with -respawn turned on.

When I was going to TAFE for the first year everyone would play Quake 3 Arena MP together during the lunch break back in 2004.

AgentSpork said:

My senior year I took a "programming" class with a teacher who didn't know what she was doing. She used to be a typing instructor and kind of fell into the position after the previous teacher left. Needless to say, I didn't learn a damn thing about programming from that teacher, and it ended up just being a free-for-all game fest the entire year.

Similar story here, expect mine was a "he" a he was a coach who didn't even know how to turn a computer on.

We played a lot of Doom and Stunts that year. Fun times.

Freshman year in High School was basically when I found out that it was possible to make custom doom levels. This eventually inspired me to become a level designer.

In high school we've played UT99 at the library and in programming class. Some Q2 as well.

Not Doom, and not school, but I did play Aqua Attack on the computers in the basement of DAMTP. There would sometimes be several people playing this game at the same time, with some competition to see who could get the best score, without trapping the octopus, of course.

I played some Doom and Quake in school. I also did a powerpoint presentation of the Doom series in school.