Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xane_MM

Any Doom-related dreams?

I had a weird dream not that long ago where I was playing some kind of bizarre precursor of Doom. Somehow I knew that it had come out before Doom itself, but it was a complete game not an alpha. Picking up the chaingun gave very fast firing dual pistols (even though it had the normal chaingun sprite on the ground). Despite being out before Doom or Doom 2 it had chaingunners, and they had the exact same sprite as they did in Strain (Doomguy helmet and gray uniform).

There was some weird system with various types of first aid that you could look at them on the ground and see their names, which were kind of like medication names you see advertised on tv. Even the berserk was like this. There was an inventory to store them too. I think maybe you were supposed to make the right combinations with some of the healing items in order to use them, and I'm pretty sure you were supposed to figure out the combinations based on their medical names.

Maybe weirdest of all, there was some kind of obsession with triangular shapes in the map. It was like id became overzealous with "Look! Angles!" after being confined to squares in Wolfenstein, to the point of the level feeling amateurish because there were triangles everywhere.

Anyway, after picking up the dual pistol "machine gun" I shot a bunch of Strain chaingunners, walked over a berserk I decided to stick in my inventory for later, and eventually caught sight of a flamethrower marine way up on a cliff (looked the same as the Strain chaingunners, except with a brown-orange uniform). I remember thinking that they probably put him up there so people could see how he attacks before facing one directly, but that it was so stupid putting one there anyway because there was no way he would ever damage anyone up there.

This was all pretty funny when I woke up.

I just had the best doom dream i've ever seen. Before it was always something scary, hiding from hellknights in doomish-looking places etc, but this one was related to mapping.

So, apparently i was participating in a group project where we'd do levels part by part - as in, i got the wad in progress with a level done up to a point and i was supposed to continue/finish it. It was a brown brick-textured catacomb level or something to that effect, maybe partly some type of cathedral.

Anyways, i run it, and quickly find out that last night i added an area to it without remembering doing that at all (even though i never drink i justified this with something booze-related). But the best part is what the area looked like. It was a room, textured with those same brown bricks, but it looked like an office complex, a biggish room with cubicles and stuff. Of course, the thin borders between cubicles were also made of brick. There were tables with very cool-looking computers (that stood out among the bricks horrendously), but also, last but not least, i apparently coded certain decorative sprites... They looked like sideways mushrooms, being very... penile in shape (apparently as a joke), and they were moving left and right, like bobbing hexen items but horizontally. So it was a brick-textured office complex with modern computers and giant mushroom dicks sliding from under the tables back and forth.

Apparently i concluded that this was entirely acceptable for the project and rushed onto the forums to share how cool a room i made without remembering it.
I don't even want to know how this could be interpreted.

Lol yeah seriously... you know you like Doom a little too much when you dream about it :)
Haha, the ones i can remember... I was just dreaming about PLAYING Doom, when I could of just woken up and done it for real!

Doom just generally impacted me a lot as a kid, it was very scary and difficult (partly due to me playing the snes port originally, which was harder in some ways). So i remember having a lot of "nightmares" ranging from just playing a hellish level with enemies around every corner and barely any health/ammo (and of course like it often is in dreams, it was really me in the game, feeling pain etc), to hiding from doom3-like monsters in a doom3-like environment, ducking under tables and windows and such. When actual doom 3 came out it hit way too close to some of those dreams, too :I

Posted another dream about an abused title.

@Antroid: That dream seems interesting. What brick texture was it? Also, those mushrooms sound pretty odd. sideways-bobbing? Someone needs to make something that does that!

@Obsidian: The fake 3D mid-texture bridges or 3D floors?

@joe_ilya: Sounds gross, but reminds me of how in ZDoom, you can "puke" scripts, but I know you mean literal puking on enemies.

Maes said:
The other dream, more recent, had me kill several archviles with a BFG, only to see their dead bodies being somehow blown close to me: I knelt over to touch one of them: it looked like a mummy covered in dirty, yellowish pus-encrusted bandages, and to the touch their skulls and body felt just like a human body, but with a squishy feeling and crushed bones. It almost made me feel sorry for them.

Odd. I never even thought of Arch-viles that way, but now I can imagine how Arch-viles, despite their small sprites, might've been intended to look like that!

I've had plenty of Doom dreams, but mostly they only inspire architectural concepts that are straightforward and standard for my fair. The big metallic overhang in UR Map04 is an example this. Sort of came to me when I was falling asleep and was still fresh on my mind when I woke up.

For the most part, though, the dreams are great but would make for awful gameplay as a layout, heh.

Snakes said:

For the most part, though, the dreams are great but would make for awful gameplay as a layout, heh.

Agreed, sorta. Look at that one ZDoom dream I posted and you'd see that right away. Ideas you get while awake are a bit better off. It's annoying when you know you can remake something from your dream you had but it'd take a long time, so, if it's a Doom level, you'd probably forget it beore you get all the way though it.

@Xane123
I think it was some strange lighter version of BIGBRIK1. Something like a cross between that and BRICK6-9.
And yeah, those mushrooms were sliding back and forth along the floor. Maybe as a crude suggestive joke considering their shape. My subconscious has the sense of humor of a 11yo apparently. I dunno how possible it would be to make such a thing though. I would try but it seems like an incredible waste of time. :D

I've posted two in other thread and forgot completely about it.

Scypek2 said:

One evening, I was in some weird, half-dream state. Before I could think about anything, I had to give every thoughtdef "D1 start thinking" action. Strange.
Next time, at the morning, I was half-dreaming again. I heard awfully loud barking of my dog, so... I opened XWE in my mind and starded searching for barking texture(!) to replace it with something more quiet. And now I know how barking looks like!

When I was younger I frequently saw dreams where I was playing fps, often Doom. The catch was that when the dream was ending the controller or keyboard depending what platform I was using turner slowly into a pillow. When the transformation was still in progress controlling the game went from easy to hellish. woke up holding pillow with both hands and pressing its corners as if they were firing buttons or something like that.

Last night my radio came on playing 'Walk Like an Egyptian' and I immediately began dreaming about myself, walking like an Egyptian, leading some female pharoh through these odd boxy rooms in Doom. I'd do my dance and come to a wall which would glow a bright rectangle, which would turn into a door, which we would walk through. So when I woke up I realized I had to post about it in this thread. :)

Waffenak said:
...when the dream was ending the controller or keyboard depending what platform I was using turner slowly into a pillow.

That sounds pretty odd but unique. My normal dreams tend to ade out or I start to feel less in contact with the world. (Like the ZDoom dream I like SO much, where it faded out)

I said last night:
My dreams are just my own life in an alternate reality. Fun -_-

Which is hilarious because I dreamed of being the Doomguy in some sort of Doom 3: Hell on Earth (probably Doom 4) after that

Dreamt once about a Doom level with slopes of riverwater under a very pretty terrace area somehow built up. I remember putting some prefabs of columns gratey at the top of them in. Yeah, that was impressive since I've only obtained Doom Builder weeks before (that time I was willing to get my checked spiralbook sketches realised as true maps).

Pirx said:

i posted my dreams in this thread in this thread. unfortunately i haven't dreamed of doom since.

Hehe, I still remember the instances of Scypek2 there which made me laugh out loud and my parents look at me like I was completely idiot.

Never had one, surprisingly because around 2010 I played a lot of Doom. All my dreams are real life related, heh.

One dream I had was that there were slot machines in Doom E1M1. I pulled the lever, and it came out with 3 black Xs. And because of that, a Cyberdemon teleported into the room. Not exactly an ideal situation.

And as a kid, I was outright terrified of the Cyberdemon from Doom 64. The thumping absolutely scared the crap out of me and I would not fight it unless I was invincible. Well, a Doom 64 Cyberdemon was walking around in my house. I was inside my parent's room hiding under their blankets. I could hear the thumping of the Cyberdemon get louder and louder, and then I quickly realized it was in my parent's room. The Cyberdemon decided to fire at that lump under the blankets. You know what happens next.

Kaboom.

Pirx said:

unfortunately i haven't dreamed of doom since.

Ihaven't recently. Should I open a thread in Everything Else asking or non-Doom dreams so that way, I can tell people here about what dreams I can remember that aren't Doom-related? I hope I hve another Doom-related dream, though. I seriously cannot forget that awesome ZDoom dream!

EDIT: New dream added about an interesting encounter with my own Doom level!

Note about bumping: People might do have dreams about Doom from time to time, and these aren't timing themselves to a particular interval where this thread picked up from. So...

Last night I had a nightmare about being losered. I know it's rather Forums-related than Doom-related, but these are Doom-related Forums, so this might be filling the requirements as well.

It was telling something like I was 31 years old and had just had recently a baby born whilst no job, which would all be a huge lie. I don't particularly remember the exact circumstances and where I've commented it, but it soon consequented in the other members picking on me for either lying stuff, or being an irresponsible son of a bitch and why I'm sharing all this information with them, then culminated in my username changed to 'Cic' and my rant to a capitalized description I don't remember by now, to which the mosaique abbreviation would also say 'CIC'. Also at some board I didn't even know how I accessed, I saw my status of being losered timed to 21:10 or so. Then I jumped time, came up on the Forums again and had a glitchy bulletin surface with the original Forums' background color, but bright red Tutti-Frutti effect-esque 1-pixel horizontal lines all over it, and at mid-bottom-like from the top, a dark brown clickable link to the forum Losers. I remember I wanted to apologise as I didn't even know how I've gotten to tell I'm a 31-year old unemployed fresh dad, and knowing that the Forum staff wouldn't believe me that I wasn't conscious at that time, or someone else just trolled me while I accidentally left my computer whilst logged in the Forums, I was gonna prove myself right via sending a picture of one of my aquintances who does look like 31 years old and is actually a dad for half-a-year now. But by the time I tried to figure out how to connect Essel, Myk or someone else, I woke up.

Heh, what a stupid dream. This alternate sight for the Losers Forum, however, gave me the thought that someday I'm gonna ask one of the administrators or moderators to loser me for one day if that is realisable (I suspect losering usually lasts for at least two weeks or more), just for me to have a look at it and so. Like visiting a prison while not a sentenced criminal.

*Cell bumped a 2-year old thread*

Cell said:
Note about bumping: People might do have dreams about Doom from time to time, and these aren't timing themselves to a particular interval where this thread picked up from. So...

Last night I had a nightmare about being losered.

I genuinely laughed out at this point.

EDIT:

Cell said:

someday I'm gonna ask one of the administrators or moderators to loser me for one day if that is realisable (I suspect losering usually lasts for at least two weeks or more), just for me to have a look at it and so. Like visiting a prison while not a sentenced criminal.

There should be one, previously announced day, when the moderators will loser ALL Doomworld members for a couple hours or so. :)

Well, I quite felt the irony about all this posting of me and so, but I did have doubts of posting a new thread about it as well, because as I pointed out, one cannot chronicle about a dream which they haven't had yet.

There should be one, previously announced day, when the moderators will loser ALL Doomworld members for a couple hours or so. :)

Eh. :D Someday it occurs, I'll just grab popcorn and read all the complaining, whining and other butthurt comments all coming from the losered ones. :D

I remember a Doom dream I had a several years ago. I was in a place with metal walls and blue colored lighting and I was compelled to grab a blue key card. The only problem was that I was being chased by former human sergeants, and I had no way to defend myself. So I had to run up a really long stair case and I was able to lose them and double back and grab the card. Than I woke up!

I've had a couple with quite interesting map layout/designs. Too bad I don't know how to map, otherwise I Would try and recreate them.

scifista42 said:

The first of April might be as good a date as any.

Well there is no sense in it now since the idea has already been blown. :P

But seriously I doubt the Doomworld admins and mods even care to do things for April Fools, especially since they hell any member posts based on it without hesitation.

Nothing recently, but when I was 7 I first beat episode 3 and had nightmares about the doom bunny/hung up baron corpses for a while. Just walking alone through scary, dark, dangerous caverns filled with dead barons and bunnies. I know, it's ridiculous, but it was terrifying as a child. There wasnt really anything that dark or creepy in e1. My dad was perplexed at why I was only playing Doom 2 for a few months afterward until i explained the ending. It didnt take me long to get over it, though.

Honestly that was a good way to lose my "terrified of a game" virginity, it kinda numbed me to shock scares, for that I'm grateful.

I have dreamed about 'The Chasm' when I was going for the pacifist record. In one of the dreams I was running the ledges in the last room and I remember sedlo chasing me :D There were couple more strange dreams about the chasm, but it was mostly meaningless. Like start of the run, when running around the corners some of the places were really out of proportion, so there was room for wallrunning.

A lot of times when I'm having a nightmare, I type in the no clipping cheat and walk through walls until I can get away from whatevers chasing me . Its always the long form no clipping code, and while its comforting to escape danger, it's still scary because whatever had been chasing me is still lurking about.