• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ella guro

Doom 2 in name only (tentative title)

Industrial Zone version 3
http://www.mediafire.com/?7lmnus5cd8obdr8
Not many changes
Teleporters in lava area now so you don't get stuck and die.
Mysterious island has appear in the same area by the modwall building (where you can grab ssg and plasma gun). Island contains a teleporter and soulsphere but NOT a secret area.
Chaingunners replaced by archvile on modwall balcony.
I wonder what is going on here ;)

Not to get off topic, but has no one considered the idea that this kind of project be adapted to Ultimate Doom?

Ultimate Doom in name only?

Also, what level is that? That's actually pretty creepy.

I was thinking about it, but without Thy Flesh Consumed since the names don't have any exact meaning.

Also, what level is that? That's actually pretty creepy.

If you mean my screenshot above, that's the catacombs.

You can probably get creative with Thy Flesh since it's more abstract in concept. Some would work off the bat like "Hell Beneath".

But it would be hard to come up with something such as 'They will Repent' or 'And Hell Followed' or 'Unto the Cruel'

It's not as bad with this project, and the only ones which present a real challenge to interpret are The Living End and The Spirit World

Anywhere, here is Dilemma.png, a DB2 shot of MAP22 so far and I'm not entirely sure which option I should take. Personally I'm leaning towards the alternative - but longer - route.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/6456/dilemma.png

Definitely make a large network of catacombs. Because - The Catacombs, The Catacombs, MAP22: THE CATACOMBS, what more to say :D. Your map should be more about catacombs than my Citadel, that will also have some catacombs. That's my answer :D.

Yeah I thought so too, thanks.

Well, looks like I'm on track for largest standalone wad file then...500KB to go...

How close is MAP19 to being finished? because it looks like you've gone down the eerie route too. Quite a few of them so far.

Eris Falling said:

...it looks like you've gone down the eerie route too.

........yeeeeeees ;)

My map is already pretty big (has 750 kB), but still pretty much unfinished. Here's how it looks on the automap. I marked areas that I'm planning to change/extend/finish:

And I will also add more secrets ;).

scifista42 said:

*automap*

Oh my...and this is MAP19...

I'm going to need a hell of a lot of catacombs. Probably going to end up with 10000+ sidedefs. Although I've only placed 70%+ definite monsters (including a Cyberdemon who turns up behind you, then sods off through a teleporter) I've still got about 74 on UV...eehhh, the extra combs are a necessity. I was expecting a monster of a map size. It's miniscule right now.

Aside from some small drawseg overflows in the cathedral (which are practically impossible to spot/trigger anyway), it's vanilla friendly at the moment, which is surprising.

"Something" looks like tunnels >:)

Katamori said:

Wow this is quite impressive! Is it still MAP07?

Eris Falling said:

...and the only ones which present a real challenge to interpret are The Living End and ...

No it doesn't, the idea came pretty much immidiately :p also i'm actually progressing with the testing finally...

Eris Falling said:

A potential MAP22, if Megalyth stays idle.

Go for it, I'm still working on my other maps with a looming deadline. You have way more done than I did anyway.

By the way, I tried MAP01, MAP13, MAP15 and MAP18. There were some strange ideas (MAP13 might be more "downtown-ish" IMO) but it seems that it will be an interesting megaWAD.

To be honest, it seems for me that the project idea itself is more interesting than the levels. I hope I don't make anyone angry, this is just my opinion =)

So I went back a few pages and found this screenshot from MAP19

Your church/cathedral is better than mine :0
I'm really going to have to go back over mine, it's pretty bland despite the 260 drawsegs... I'll raise the fountain..

Megalyth said:

Go for it, I'm still working on my other maps with a looming deadline. You have way more done than I did anyway.

Ah ok cool, cheers. :)

Eris Falling said:

So I went back a few pages and found this screenshot from MAP19
~image~

Your church/cathedral is better than mine :0

Look at mine (posted previously) and feel better about yours :)

That's not bad actually.
I still think mine needs heavy improvement, as does the rest of the level.

When the layout is done on D2INO-22 a Version 0 will be uploaded so you can get the concept of the level. Complete enemies and other things will come in V1.0.0

Here it is! Final version of:

Doom 2 in name only: MAP11: Circle of Death (named "'O' of Destruction!" on the automap)

Tested and balanced inside out and upside down! (crosses fingers that there's no problems). Feels like a long lost Alien Vendetta track!

Image:

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/?3f46m114oy5qxyk

Eregore said:

*MAP11 new version*

Haven't got round to playing it yet, but it's grown 100KB, clearly you've been busy :P

I'm sort of stumped by MAP22, and think that what I have so far could be greatly improved. Similar to Eregore's (or Egregor?) first upload of MAP11, here is a very WIP version of MAP22.

Version: V1.DEMO
Completion: ~20%

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been around lately - I've started a new job which has taken up a lot of my time. Fortunately (well, unfortunately for me) I'm pretty sick and have some time off to try and complete my entry for map 17. I'm almost done with it but hit a creative block on a certain room. Hopefully when I return to it something will fall into place and I'll be able to post it for testing and first impressions!

Continued working in Map14.
Work on the paths is needed - this will take a month... within the deadline for sure.

This thread has been pretty inactive :S

Bruce: Looks intricate! The original was one of my favourites in Doom II, and this looks - and I hope it does - set to top it.

an_mutt: That's good to hear your map is nearly done, I'm guessing you are setting it in a housing estate of some sorts?

I've been pretty busy recently, (which has finally cleared up I think) so not had any time to work on MAP22, and since I still wait on feedback on the early demo of it, there's not much more I can do right now for it. Personally I feel the catacombs themselves are too quadrilateral-based, and the cathedral needs a lot of work.

My horror based rail tunnel is accessible by either jumping or noclipping over the dead plants at start area. I am also aware of a tutti at the first door.

~EF~

I will have a look at your map22 tomorrow eris falling, been a bit busy and trying to help out with the winding up of another project.

Katamori said:

I think I drop my MAP10. I completely have lack of interest, ideas, and time for it.

Damn, what you had looked promising :/

cannonball said:

I will have a look at your map22 tomorrow eris falling, been a bit busy and trying to help out with the winding up of another project.

Ok thanks :)

Anyway, the list hasn't been update in a month now, and since then many things have changed

Below is an updated list, I guess Ella can just Copy/Paste this when she gets a chance

• MAP01: Entryway by Processingcontrol - Latest version
  • MAP02: Underhalls by _bruce_ - .004 (RAR format)
  • MAP03: The Gantlet by st.alfonzo - WIP?
  • MAP04: The Focus by Antroid - Latest version
  • MAP05: The Waste Tunnels by an_mutt - Latest version
  • MAP06: The Crusher - Half-open, see purist's post on Page 26
  • MAP07: Dead Simple by Eris Falling - V3.3.6
  • MAP08: Tricks and Traps by TheMionicDonut - WIP
  • MAP09: The Pit - Possibly taken by Obsidian
  • MAP10: Refuelling Base - OPEN
  • MAP11: Circle of Death / 'O' of Destruction by Eregore/Egregor - Possibly final version
  • MAP12: The Factory by GreyGhost - WIP?
  • MAP13: Downtown by glenzinho - Version 1.0
  • MAP14: The Inmost Dens by _bruce_ - WIP
  • MAP15: Industrial Zone by cannonball - Version 3
  • MAP16: Suburbs by ShadesMaster - WIP?
  • MAP17: Tenements by an_mutt - WIP
  • MAP18: The Courtyard by kongming - Latest version, in MAP01 slot
  • MAP19: The Citadel by scifista42 - WIP
  • MAP20: Gotcha! by Ribbiks - WIP?
  • MAP21: Nirvana by schwerpunk - OPEN
  • MAP22: The Catacombs by Eris Falling - WIP, V1.DEMO
  • MAP23: Barrels O' Fun by Vaporiser - WIP?
  • MAP24: The Chasm by Hellbent - WIP?
  • MAP25: Bloodfalls - Possibly taken by Obsidian
  • MAP26: The Abandoned Mines - by Olympus - First version (is there a newer one?)
  • MAP27: Monster Condo - by printz - WIP?
  • MAP28: The Spirit World - Possibly taken by Ella Guro
  • MAP29: The Living End by Antroid - WIP
  • MAP30: Icon of Sin by ComicMischief - Inactive, not open.

• MAP31: Wolfenstein by Xaser - WIP?
  • MAP32: Grosse by Capellan - WIP?
and I think...that's all..

right map22
This is hard to comment on as problems listed might be automatically resolved when the map is completed.
Good - level looks pretty decent, some interesting secrets (soulsphere one is nice but has a flaw which I will point out in a minute).
I'm guessing you can't go very much further in the catacomb section, I grabbed the red key and hit a couple of switches but then got stuck.
Difficulty seems reasonable, the archviles are pretty annoying as they pose little threat unless you want that secret in which you get real hassle.
If you return later to the church part with some better weapons then keep the archviles, if not then perhaps subbing them for revenants would be kinder, especially if you didn't get the ssg secret.
Also on the archvile platform, make sure you can exit the pits around them as I got stuck and had to noclip out.
I like the cyber surprise, look forward to seeing him later :)
That's all for now.

Thanks for the feedback cannonball, very helpful

cannonball said:

some interesting secrets (soulsphere one is nice but has a flaw which I will point out in a minute).

I think there might be a problem with the sky tiling, is this what you meant, unless it's about the pits.

If you return later to the church part with some better weapons then keep the archviles, if not then perhaps subbing them for revenants would be kinder, especially if you didn't get the ssg secret.

The player shouldn't revisit the church after entering the catacombs, although the level exit is next to the church entrance - with a certain demon guarding it...

And the platform they're mounted on is too high, because of covering up the entrance, damned drawsegs!
Revenants are probably a better idea.

I'm guessing you can't go very much further in the catacomb section, I grabbed the red key and hit a couple of switches but then got stuck

Yeah, I kinda ran out of ideas :/ I'll try and get back to them, with something other than just square rooms.

Thanks again, I can probably get back to this level now :P