Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Keeper of Jericho

Five Rooms of Doom: (32/32) - now on idgames

Here's another preview of my map. As you can see, I've got the 5 rooms down. Just adding some final details, put in the difficulty levels and its ready to go. :)

ForeverViLe said:

I wish it wasn't so difficult to make another map :D I ran out of ideas :D
I hope that I'll find a good idea for my second map soon.

Sometimes I pick a name for my map precicely to inspire a concept for said map. Take "Nabataea", for example. It's some old kingdom in the middle-east from Babylonian times, and that gives me some inspiration for the texturing and theme. I have another map in mind for this once I finish "Nabataea", which'll be a hell-map for e3: "Gates of Angband". Angband's the fortress of Morgoth, the bad guy from Tolkien's mythos. It means "hell of iron" in the Elvish tongue, so again, that's inspiring for a theme and texturing. That's usually only as far as I plan ahead, though: theme and textures. I never plan the layout of my map or the rooms ahead, I just start to map, lol.

So, maybe it's not very good advice, but it's the best I can offer: listen to some music you like, or a book you like to read, or a movie you like to see, anything really, and see if there are any names or songtitles that make you think: "Hmm, how would a Doom map with that same name look like?". Then see what you can come up with! =D

Scypek2 said:

I like it! It gives a very abstract impression, and the layout near the beginning can get tricky, in a good way. The texturing reminds me a little bit of CC4's map 20 and 21 at times. The Cyberdemon genuinely caught me off guard, which was nice. There are some small bugs in the map (for example, I think you can get stuck in the super shotgun secret, since you can't lower the lift that leads to the arachnotron platform), but I'll fix those myself if you don't mind.

Cacowad said:

ok, third room near to completion...
http://i.imgur.com/zsUVEl.png

maybe i am spoilering too much of the map... who care!

I certainly don't, because I think it looks great. =P

Agentbromsnor said:

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9246/theoverkill.jpg

Here's another preview of my map. As you can see, I've got the 5 rooms down. Just adding some final details, put in the difficulty levels and its ready to go. :)

Looking forward to the final product. ^_^ This'll bring the counter of completed maps to 4.

You know, if anybody's in need of inspiration, I always had an interesting concept in mind for a super secret level (map 32). The player would start out in a room, and he'd have to choose from two paths. Once chosen, he can't go back and go to the other path. Both paths have their own design and gameplay, and both will lead to an exit to end the level. They don't cross at any point. The challenge, however: the player needs to be able to get 100% kills and 100% secret no matter which path he picks (no 0 secrets either). This would require some crafty monster-teleporting and secret-placing. It could be an interesting challenge.

Keeper of Jericho said:

So, maybe it's not very good advice, but it's the best I can offer: listen to some music you like, or a book you like to read, or a movie you like to see, anything really, and see if there are any names or songtitles that make you think: "Hmm, how would a Doom map with that same name look like?". Then see what you can come up with! =D

it is indeed a good advice (imo), actually i started to work on that project mainly because of a very ,how i can explain that?, "out of ordinary" music that really impressed me. many of my Wip are influenced by the music i listen

I certainly don't, because I think it looks great. =P

thank you ^^ this is the very first map boom compatible that i am making, so i think a lot of thing may have to be fixed :S

You know, if anybody's in need of inspiration, I always had an interesting concept in mind for a super secret level (map 32). The player would start out in a room, and he'd have to choose from two paths. Once chosen, he can't go back and go to the other path. Both paths have their own design and gameplay, and both will lead to an exit to end the level. They don't cross at any point. The challenge, however: the player needs to be able to get 100% kills and 100% secret no matter which path he picks (no 0 secrets either). This would require some crafty monster-teleporting and secret-placing. It could be an interesting challenge.

it is interesting indeed... i would take it (i love maps where you have to choose your pacth) but i am too much unexperienced in vanilla\boom format to do that (not counting the rooms i still have to finish).the secrects may be done with a correct linedef placement:
[example: you walk on a line that trigger one of two floors of the secret area to lower, then you place teleportig line at 8-2 pixel from it, so you have to teleport as you trigger the event. the wall lowered hid a switch (or a teleporter ) to the triggering area, this is a bit triky, and maybe can be done better in another way...].
i have no clue for the teleporting monsters, in doom-in-hexen format you can use acs to trigger different spawnspot, making it really easy to do, so i never learned the classic way...

p.s. Nabataea... good name, eh, i am waiting its release...

Screenshot of second room:
[picture no longer working]

Some of those grey-brown-red techno pillars in middle of the room will move up and down when the map is done.

I will leave my home for several days, starting from tomorrow, so do not expect much progress until thursday.

Keeper of Jericho said:

for example, I think you can get stuck in the super shotgun secret, since you can't lower the lift that leads to the arachnotron platform

Damn, I can't believe that I forgot about that. Sure, I'd be glad if you would fix it.

Keeper of Jericho said:

That sounds like a cool idea! Especially challenging combined with 5 rooms limitation. I think I'm gonna do that.

Keeper of Jericho said:

It's a cool idea, but will be a bitch to bug test in co-op.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Could do it the easy way and just have passing through one route's entrance close the other.

That's what I thought. Or have it blocked, whatever floats the boat.

Does death exit count as a room?
I'm talking about the seperate sector with a romero head&barrels.
And I'd like to do map 20 instead of an e1 map.

ForeverViLe said:

Does death exit count as a room?
I'm talking about the seperate sector with a romero head&barrels.
And I'd like to do map 20 instead of an e1 map.

I'm willing to let that slide as an exception, so you can go ahead and not count it as a seperate room. And I'll move you from e1 to e2 map 20, no problem.

I've started working on map 20- The Path Of Glory, a small map to finish episode 2.
If map 13 seemed challenging I hope that this map will be more difficult.

ForeverViLe said:

I've started working on map 20- The Path Of Glory, a small map to finish episode 2.
If map 13 seemed challenging I hope that this map will be more difficult.

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o751/ForeverViLe/Screenshot_Doom_20121029_210419_zps419ae294.png

Oh, I really like the look of that. I always love maps that have lava in them. Goes surprisingly well with the night-sky, too.

Maybe I'm gonna be volunteering for MAP17.

Short question: if I am able to climb through a crack on the wall only to see an alcove (particular demolishment with rubbish and dust inside the wall itself), does it count as new or not? (Since it's not exactly a window...)

Cell said:

Maybe I'm gonna be volunteering for MAP17.

Short question: if I am able to climb through a crack on the wall only to see an alcove (particular demolishment with rubbish and dust inside the wall itself), does it count as new or not? (Since it's not exactly a window...)

I think in such a case you can count it as part of the room it borders on. If you want to take map 17, you're more than welcome to. =)

I'm still working on map 20- The Path of Glory, I'm working on the last outdoor area&the exit at the moment.
Once I finish the design of these two areas I'll work on the monster placement, difficulty settings and playtest it.

Screenshots:

This spiderdemon will appear in the main hall once the player gets all the keys, it will probably be a bit annoying especially because unlike map 13, there will be no bfg in this map.

I'm still working on this area, I'm going to add more lava falls and work on these little mountains.

Keeper of Jericho said:

If you want to take map 17, you're more than welcome to. =)

I think I've already made a progress on it :)

Joseph Lord said:

I want the map11 and map29 can i please??

One map at a time, please. ;) Start with one, and if you still want to make another after you're done, you're more than welcome to do so. I'll sign you up for map 11.

MAP17 progressed up until this by now.

I hadn't thought of a specific name yet (maybe Obsidian Temple?), and I'll be needing some composed custom music of something gothic. But it'll take about four or five days to complete fully, so no need to hurry.

Map 20 is almost ready, I'm currently placing monsters&ammo and working on the secrets and it's consequences.
How about a little trip to hell?

Can somebody explain to me how to make a regular repeatable door (without a key) in vanilla Doom settings? I know how to make it in Hexen format, but I have no idea how it works in vanilla. :P