Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vorpal

A Halloween Treat

I've been tweaking two maps that I've been sitting on for a long time, and I think everything is finally in a condition for release (older versions actually lived on these forums about a year ago).

Two maps, I tried to make them seem spooky/slightly haunted. UV is short on supplies and a bit of a scavenger hunt, recommend HMP for a normal Doom experience.

I did struggle to have this ready for Halloween, so I am entertaining suggestions/bug fixes if you find them.

Grab it at http://webpages.charter.net/bgspencer/design/curst.html

Some pictures
http://webpages.charter.net/bgspencer/design/curst1.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/bgspencer/design/curst2.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/bgspencer/design/curst3.jpg

The maps are nice but I found the sparse ammo amount ruined the game play, I was spending way too much time searching for ammo running out then having to search again all while a pain elemental keeps spitting out lost souls and all I have is a lousy pea shooter.

The map layouts were interesting the texturing was good but lighting didn't have enough contrasting levels. Also I notice your using oddball light levels this is not a good idea as pointed out by Essel not too long ago level levels will default to 128, 144, 160, 176, 192 etc you have light levels of 120, 136. In some ports these levels will display correctly but compatibility wise this is such a waste of time.

Rating:

Layout - 5/5
Texturing - 5/5
Lighting - 2/5
Game Play - 1/5

Overall 3.5/5

I'm sorry if you don't like my rating but it would have been more fun if there was more ammo and more monsters. I think your attempt to use well placed monsters was pretty good however but the constant Easter egg hunting for ammo and running out was really annoying and got old fast. Also HMP still felt the same as UV I thought.

I use light levels that are divisible by 16, +/- 1 unit for certain tricks.. I'm curious where these odd light levels are.

Sorry you didn't like the gameplay. It is indeed meant to be uncomfortable on UV.

It's all on Map02, 104, 120, 136 levels

Anyways, next time I think you should go for what you have on UV as HMP and have some more monsters and easy to find ammo to keep the player moving/progressing on UV that would be much more enjoyable. I just really though the Easter egg ammo hunt was really really boring and annoying so I lost interest really quickly which was disappointing since the maps look nice (apart from weak lighting contrast).

Cool map, buddy.

I think it had a lot more potential than what was fulfilled.

I'm going to copycat Pottus here for a bit:

Rating:

Layout - 5/5

Texturing - 2/5 - this is 110% personal preference, because the texturing is certainly GOOD, but it's too reminiscent of a lot of other maps I've seen in Doom. For being a creepy Halloween map, I did nothing for me, I'm afraid - it was all too familiar. I'd kind of wish you used the flat for the exit room in map01, as the landscape texture for the rest of the map, and change everything else accordingly. IMO, the texture style is cool and all, but it also has a great deal of randomess in it, if you ask me. I don't really like it, but I may be in the minority on it.

Lighting - 2/5 - it was pretty bland, and especially for a Halloween map. I did use GZDoom, though. There is no problem with unusual light levels, in my opinion, so long as you've evaluated it to be appropriate.

Gameplay - 3/5 - it was cool and interesting, but it had a lot of unfulfilled potential, IMO. I'd like to see more Arch-viles, because you were very careful with the monster placement, so if you had handled Arch-viles with the same care, and with the same minimal monster count, I think it could've been really cool.

Overall, I think you are great with layouts, and that, like everybody else, you have something to work on, and in your case I'd say it's lighting and monster (and weapon) balance for the best gameplay that YOU desire.

I read some impressions before playing, so I saved shells and it went okay. But if it's supposed to be atmospheric with a build-up, then starting with a DOUBLE-barrled shotgun is perhaps not the best route.

Regarding texturing, I think it could've been a lot more atmospheric and ORIGINAL, if the theme was something new. But then again, I've played Doom for quite a bit :)

Finally, thanks for the map. It was fun to play, and it was fun to write this post, hehe.

Cool to see that this project is still alive but I want moar maps! :)

FDAs, even though I played the previous version they should be of some interest as I noticed some changes in both maps (on map01 many areas are very different and I think you rebalanced map02 to make it more difficult?).

I really like this gameplay style, and I can't imagine it any other way. These maps wouldn't be so spooky if you could just run around shooting at everything without worrying about your health/ammo.

About to run out of the house in a sec, so not enough time to properly reply to people but...

Pottus: You are correct, wow. It is almost like all the values got offset by 8 units, but then there are some very odd things like some stairs with values 104, 105, 104, etc. Like some sort of data corruption >.<

gemini09: Is that Yashar Garibzadeh? :-D

Yes. Hello again :)

Hope you enjoyed it, if you've played a map of mine. =)

(somebody pull up my pants)

Cool design and layout. I actually enjoyed the gameplay from both maps, especially the second one,as I ran out of ammo and started to search the map for clips and shells which was funny and scary at the same time because of the close encounters with enemys while I was running around. 5/5 from me.

These maps are very well done and have good detail and atmosphere.

There are a few problems with the maps that should be addressed. One is the lack of ammo, the other is the maps are very confusing.

Other than those minor problems i must say this wad is grade A work.
Not only do the maps look good and have good texturing, but they are very inspirational. The monster placement is also very well done.

Good job and i hope you add additional maps to this because the first 2 were great.

gemini: yeah I am the first to admit that the style/textures is not original. Basically I have this huge void in my soul at the lack of mordeth sequels. Visually that was kindof what I was aiming for, fully aware it has been imitated hundreds of times.

The lighting, well that is a weakspot I've always had. In these particular maps I don't know how I'd improve it, since they're mostly outdoors.

Memfis: Tense FDAs. I see you were looking for the plasma gun hehe, I moved it a few feet away, sorry. In map02 there are three little supply rooms (two are minor secrets). It was a lot of fun watching you survive, I was cheering for you ;-)

Thanks to everyone who gave it a chance. I would like to do at least one more map for this, though smaller in scope...