Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Doom 3 universe and RAGE universe

I'm wondering if RAGE is actually a prequel to Doom 3. Probably not, but I felt like speculating anyway.

In RAGE, Mixom company products are scattered throughout the wasteland, and in Doom 3, Mixom is a subcontractor for UAC supplies. I realize this is probably a case of just reusing names and not much thought was put into it, but still. An argument against this is that there's no way it'd be the same company, since it was pre-apocalypse. Perhaps a new company in Mixom's name was started.

RAGE takes place in 2133, and Doom 3 takes place in 2145. This is only a 12 year gap, so it doesn't seem likely that it's in the same universe. Perhaps there have been reconstructed civilizations on Earth for a long while, but the unrepaired wastelands are considered barbaric and are left in the dark about there being new cities. Perhaps the Authority is even part of the UAC, or the other way around.

Given the total lack of exposition in Rage, other than an asteroid hits earth and some stuff about super-soldiers, I'd say anything is open to possibility.

It would make zero sense for Rage to be a prequel to Doom 3 seeing as Rage takes place in a world where everything has turned into a backwards wasteland and civilization has largely ended.

The Authority has plenty of tech underground though. The story in Doom 1 & 2 is pretty light so it's possible there; but Doom 3 gives the impression everything is normal back on Earth: people are still 'marines' for example.

Although, wait why would a marine work as security personnel on a private facility? Maybe Sarge is just some nutter.

Well, marines don't often have a say regarding where they get posted.

Second(and more importantly), the Doom universe is one where the corporate giants (including the UAC) essentially control everything, including the military. It's not too dissimilar from the universe of Alien or Robocop.

It's probably safe to say that the "Mixom" references in Rage are done more in the spirit of id paying tribute to it's own games, rather than trying to imply some interconnected stories---after all, they do it in numerous other places throughout the game, with Wolfenstein and classic Doom references.

The UAC is basically the epitome of the greedy, amoral corporate monster, whereas The Authority in Rage is more akin to the Empire in Star Wars. They aren't really the same thing (although they have similarities) and they have different goals.