Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Harmata

Oh this is so not nice (/idgames)

So some guy talks shit about you and your map, 0/5 it, and you can't even respond to him? Fuck the mod who deleted my comments, I'll never put my map on that site again until they will actually put some effort and create functioning ranking and commenting systems.

That is all. I'm so disappointed.

Welcome to anonymous rating 101. If you want real recognition, limit it to the respectable forums and/or Youtube. You CAN report troll comments, ya'know.

I don't care about recognition, but that moderator went too low. Considering that everyone can vote as many times as they want and comment anonymously, mods should not expect civilized discussion and then delete author's responses to shitposting. If someone wants to be assholes on the Internet, other people should be able to retaliate. It was quite satisfying to call those people autistic and counter their 0/5 with a 5/5. Now my 5/5 are gone, and their 0/5 still there.

And that's of course, shows how flawed is rating system. But comment about that was also deleted.

If "autistic" is really the worst insult you can come up with then I probably would have deleted your shitty comments too

Harmata said:

So some guy talks shit about you and your map, 0/5 it, and you can't even respond to him?

No, it's a database - not a web forum.

I'll never put my map on that site again until they will actually put some effort and create functioning ranking and commenting systems.

Doomworld's review database and /idgames are not one and the same.

Considering that everyone can vote as many times as they want and comment anonymously, mods should not expect civilized discussion and then delete author's responses to shitposting.

Rating spam usually gets deleted (not always immediately), as do abusive responses to unfavorable ratings.

If someone wants to be assholes on the Internet, other people should be able to retaliate. It was quite satisfying to call those people autistic and counter their 0/5 with a 5/5.

Welcome to the Internet, we hope you enjoy your stay. There's no need to respond to an asshole by behaving like one yourself.

Now my 5/5 are gone, and their 0/5 still there.

Rating your own work is never a good idea.

And that's of course, shows how flawed is rating system. But comment about that was also deleted.

I'd say the system's administered in a fairly even-handed manner. You are after all supposed to rating stuff in the archive (preferably someone else's), not passing judgement on other reviewers or the system itself.

All I can say is that you need to keep a level head when it comes to the internet. I looked at the comments and while they aren't overly subtle, you can still learn from them. I remember when Memfis responded to one of my maps with "0 stars for instant death teleporter" - I can understand why, it's a bit of an unfair move. X-D All you need to do is learn from the feedback you get, no matter how negative.

No, it's a database - not a web forum.

Then why there is a commenting feature? Either remove the feature, or make it better. Like on lvlworld, for example. Believe it or not, people can actually discuss their opinions there.

Doomworld's review database and /idgames are not one and the same.

Yeah, i know. I never implied that. ???

Rating spam usually gets deleted (not always immediately), as do abusive responses to unfavorable ratings.

What if ratings are abusive and response is justified?

Welcome to the Internet

Oh please. And if so, why are you even responding? Some dude is just butthurt, "it's the Internet!".

Rating your own work is never a good idea.

Dork 1: "i didn't spotted the crusher, what a shitty thing to put on a map! 0/5" Dork 2: "I agree, 0/5!". Look at that "feedback" i "should learn from"! So i retaliated, i gave two 5/5 votes and i told about it in the comment. To piss them off. Besides, the map's score already turned to farce, so why not?

You are after all supposed to rating stuff in the archive (preferably someone else's), not passing judgement on other reviewers or the system itself.

Again, why are you even responding if everyone should be silent? Except for the shitposters, of course.

People, this is not my first encounter with idiots on /idgames, i still can't forget how i finished Knee Deep in ZDoom, went to /idgames to give feedback and saw comments where people were saying things like this:

Relive the fear. Relive the nightmare. Relive Phobos as imagined by some german dude popular on a mediocre forum.

Shit.

"Blood on Marble" is the map you're referring to I take it.

I'm not going to go into a full review of it, as I really only played until I was (as the offending user pointed out) crushed instantly and killed.. but to be brutally honest, it's an unremarkable map with some serious flaws.

Anyone on the internet knows, anonymity amplifies any negative opinions on any given subject by a pretty substantial amount. If you had seen KDiZD receiving caustic criticism beforehand, what on Earth made you think that your map wouldn't be subject to the same level of criticism when you uploaded it?

If you're mapping to seek praise from anonymous people on the internet, you're just setting yourself up for this sort of thing. Thicken up your skin, son.

2Ed
What does the map has to do with this thread? I'm talking about a moderator that removed a response to dumb shit while keeping the dumb shit perfectly okay.

I really only played until I was (as the offending user pointed out) crushed instantly and killed..

Should i teach you how to use the quick save button? This is the first rime you died in a game and don't know what to do with it? I even advised to save often in the txt, i warned about difficulty, i warned about falling from heights. Why the crushers are so special? I gave a hint at the start of that corridor, and there are bloodspots on the floor under the each crusher. Crushers is a mistake here, but simply because they don't fit on this particular map, and not because it's a "shitty thing to put in a map", "as the offending user pointed out".

it's an unremarkable map with some serious flaws

Again, what does it have to do with shitposting in comments and non-functioning rating system? And I wouldn't mind to hear about those "serious flaws" you've mentioned, i don't think that Chronicles review mentioned them.

If you're mapping to seek praise from anonymous people on the internet

People, that's you who mention praise all the time in this thread, i was talking about post deletion.

Thicken up your skin, son

Thanks daddy, but i don't consider "this shit sucks" as an argument. Here's the Wikipedia article on logic, you should really read it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic

Obviously the solution here is to allow us to rate ratings, and rate those ratings of ratings.

Urgh, I hate this. Harmata, there are always going to be people that don't like your work, no matter how hard you try: the comment from KDiZD is a good example of this. You don't need to take every single comment you get to heart: some people have specific preferences when they're playing games, and some people are just idiots who don't like hard games. I'm going to leave my own personal comment on your game as a matter of fact.

You don't need to take every single comment you get to heart

Well thanks, but... this is not the reason why i've made this thread. I just will not stand when some mod or admin simply removes my opinion from the discussion. Whoever done this, i have no respect for you, and i will not use /idgames until changes will come.

I have nothing more to add, so i'm leaving this thread.

It's a review system, you are not supposed to talk with other reviewers there. It doesn't matter if some reviews are bad or good, doomworld/idgames just isn't the place to discuss them. Understand?

Harmata said:

i will not use /idgames until changes will come.

??? /idgames in no way is responsible for what's happening on doomworld/idgames so what changes do you expect?

I'm the second reviewer btw. :-)

Harmata said:

...i will not use /idgames until changes will come.

Then you'll never be using it again then in that case.

Man up and follow this simple formula in future:

- Make a better map, one that's preferably fair
- Submit it to /idgames
- Receive fair ratings
- Avoid being all butthurt when you can't attack people in the reviews

Harmata said:

Then why there is a commenting feature? Either remove the feature, or make it better. Like on lvlworld, for example. Believe it or not, people can actually discuss their opinions there.

Comments are optional, some people feel the need to justify their rating or post a mini-review. Allowing discussion in the database might be acceptable if there's nowhere else to do so, though when a review site has its own dedicated forum that looks more like sloppy moderating.

Yeah, i know. I never implied that. ???

In that case, why did you say "I'll never put my map on that site again until they will actually put some effort and create functioning ranking and commenting systems."? Your map was uploaded to gamers.org, who have absolutely nothing to do with the ratings system.

What if ratings are abusive and response is justified?

Use the "Report review abuse" option. While retaliation might be justified it's also futile, as you've already discovered.

Oh please. And if so, why are you even responding? Some dude is just butthurt, "it's the Internet!".

Why not? You raised the topic in a forum (a place where issues are often discussed), would you rather I gave your post a star rating and left it at that?

Dork 1: "i didn't spotted the crusher, what a shitty thing to put on a map! 0/5" Dork 2: "I agree, 0/5!". Look at that "feedback" i "should learn from"! So i retaliated, i gave two 5/5 votes and i told about it in the comment. To piss them off. Besides, the map's score already turned to farce, so why not?

I somehow managed to step around the crushers (6th sense maybe?) but have to agree with the dorks, it's a cheap way to kill the player. Somehow I doubt your retaliation pissed them off, they're more likely pleased to know you were pissed off enough to respond.

Again, why are you even responding if everyone should be silent? Except for the shitposters, of course.

I'm scoring you 1.5/5 stars for that remark.

And I wouldn't mind to hear about those "serious flaws" you've mentioned, i don't think that Chronicles review mentioned them.

Didn't spot any I'd consider particularly serious, though I stumbled across two pointless secrets and noticed plenty of places that would have benefited from unpegging and/or alignment.

Pottus said:

Someone needs to give this dude a prozac, morphine vallum or something.

I have some valium but no way to administer it. :(

I haven't played the map, but I checked out the comments on the idgames page and the reviews seem blunt but not unreasonable (there's certainly nothing abusive about them). I don't know what you wrote in your comments but if they were deleted then you were probably out of line.

Seems to me like you're caring way too much about some comments on a website. Best to just ignore them and move on, or if you're really smart, pay attention to their criticisms and use that knowledge when making future maps.

Harmata said:

It was quite satisfying to call those people autistic

wut.

You may want to respond (or troll) the people that give your maps low ratings, but obviously /idgames is not the place to do it. And no matter what you do, there are always going to be people giving hyper-low scoring reviews to things. It's part of putting a creative work out there. There is always going to be someone, somewhere that thinks your work is the "next biggest piece of shit" and rates it 0/100. But that's just the part of opinions (however poorly constructed they may be).

Wanting to retaliate back is natural, but calling people that put down your map "autistic" and counter-rating their scores isn't the right way to do it; it comes across as very juvenile. And face it, you did put an instant-death crusher in your level, which people are very resistant to (as it is a very cheap death trap). Is 0/5 a little too much? Sure. But you can't put something like that in a level and expect people to respond rationally.

The reviews you got were entirely justified, even if the ratings were a bit harsh. Rather than calling people names, acknowledge that and use it to make your maps better. Or don't. But don't come here and bitch about not being able to put anonymous reviewers (who were entirely correct) in their place and counter their scores.

When you see somebody unfairly bashing a wad/your wad in the archives, just flame the troll, and pretend that you are a random popular Doomworld member (put the name of said member in the end of the message). It's funny! Fuck the Police.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

When you see somebody unfairly bashing a wad/your wad in the archives, just flame the troll, and pretend that you are a random popular Doomworld member (put the name of said member in the end of the message). It's funny! Fuck the Police.

This is a terrible idea and anyone who does this is a moron.

-esselfortium

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

that's stupid and you're stupid.

- Grazza

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Something something OBLIGE.

- Lakisoft

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

This is a great idea

*the next day*

I admit that it was a stupid idea

- idsoftware981

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Post anonymously, otherwise it won't work.

- Sodaholic

Interesting, /idgames now seems to recognize the login cookie, as it displays your username next to comment submit button. But the last couple comments don't have a username attached to them, which is a pity, because it'd be nice to know who's posting what (good, bad or indifferent). I suspect that would raise the quality of the comments.

And uh, this thread is hard to read due to insane post dissection. It's giving me Usenet flashbacks. :-/

Also... That lamer dew can't even finish E1M1 on HMP.
- dew

hex11 said:

Interesting, /idgames now seems to recognize the login cookie, as it displays your username next to comment submit button. But the last couple comments don't have a username attached to them, which is a pity, because it'd be nice to know who's posting what (good, bad or indifferent).

Mousing over a review should identify the poster, unless it's one of the pink anonymous reviews. If that doesn't work - clear your browser cache.