Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EvilNed01

Any Newb's / Inexperienced Mappers?

Hey there,

I've played Doom since the start, essentially. I've beaten Doom 1 and Doom 2 more times than I can count, and both TNT and Plutonia have been beaten at least twice. Heretic at least five times, and Hexen one (and Strife two).

Only recently have I started to map, and I enjoy it immensly. I also enjoy browsing other projects and maps. Mostly Megawads that stick to the original theme of the game.

Now, as a way for me to develop as an author I've begun to churn out a few maps I haven't really released. Originally, I made them in the order I thought they should appear in a hypothetical megawad, but lately when I've gotten more of them (I'm up to seven now, I think) I've started thinking about moving the order around and maybe putting something in between certain maps to create a bridge in difficulty and weaponry.

But creating a megawad on my own is still something that would take too long and while such a project might be finished in 2014 or so, it's not really what I'm after. But it would be fun to publish the maps I do get to get feedback...

So I'm wondering, is there anyone (or several) out there who's essentially in the same spot as I? Maybe we could swap maps, give critique to each other and slowly build up something that could one day be released as an episode or megawad or whatever.

To be precise, I'm not that interested in hyper-detailing or creating realistic enviroments. One of the reasons I always come back to the Doom games is because of it's abstract worlds filled with imagination and gameplay - not necessarily realism.

I'm an inexperienced mapper and I admit it, I've released an episode of 5 maps back then on May with a few decent maps- small and a bit challenging.
I've tried to make my own wad several times but after making the 5th or 6th map I always gave up because I wasn't pleased from the final product so instead of trying to build my own megawad I'm mapping single maps or a few maps wherever I can.
I'm currently mapping my second map for "Five Rooms of Doom" project
and when you know that you are mapping one or two maps for a certain project instead of thinking about 32 maps for your own megawad you don't have to worry about the maps order and if your e1 map is harder than your e3 map etc.

ForeverViLe;

What's the name of your mappack?

Thanks for the heads up on the NOVA project! Kinda what I was looking for, seems great. Hope it can get "revived"?

Best thing to do would be to start a a community project thread, just because your a new mapper doesn't mean that people won't want to contribute. I'll give you a fairly good example of a recent project on here and that would be Interception, quite a few experienced mappers contributed to this project including myself. The person who started the project is a fairly new mapper and it ended up being a pretty damn good classic megawad with a relatively fast development were actually just waiting for the music to be completed before the final release and in the mean time Interception part II has already been started.

So take a chance and toss up a community project thread I think in your case catering to newer mappers would be ideal while getting more experienced mappers to play test.

Anyways that's my 2 cents.

I guess i'm like you TC, except most of my mapping knowledge is self-taught and more advanced stuff learned with the help from a friend but my only issue is that i always, always block when trying to come up with a map.

I'm highly interested in mapping but i can't get off the ground and come up with any ideas. :/

I looked up multiple topics on the matter to see if i could get inspiration from how other mappers come up with idea but alas.

Your fifth paragraph interest me, if there's a way to exchange words outside of the forum (like instant messaging and such) PM me.

That must be crappy Archvile, I've managed to get to the point myself where I don't need any motivation or inspiration to map my hands just move on their own.

Pottus said:

That must be crappy Archvile, I've managed to get to the point myself where I don't need any motivation or inspiration to map my hands just move on their own.

It kinda is yeah, i mean i've made like 2 or 3 maps that ended up public but it takes me forever to come up with anything.

Like TC, i'm not much interested in massive detailing at least not until i'd get further experience with mapping of course.

Sometime i think i'm not cut for it but heck, i'll still try anyway.

I am a newbie mapper and I do not have any problem with ideas.
I already imagined layout of nine maps, but I managed to finish only one for now. (that is e3m8 in Bedlam) I just work slow in DB2, because I nitpick every detail of my work and I often get distracted by other games.

I still enjoy creating new places for others to play in and I will continue to build new maps for doom engine games as my payback to community for all these entertaining mapsets I had fun with over last 19 years.

Here's my old episode release thread
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/60046-uac-on-neptune-my-episodes-release/
I was planning to start working on another episode but I abandoned my project and I didn't work on any maps for 2 or 3 months.
Now I'm working on my second map for Five Rooms of Doom project and then I'll probably attempt to remake the episode I've released with a new set of maps.