Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mystery Man in 3D

How to cope with people who hate DOOM

In light of the horrible review Official PlayStation Magazine UK wrote for DOOM 3 BFG Edition, and the backlash I received for trying to defend DOOM on that shitty site, I've decided that I need to learn new and better ways to cope with people who hate my favorite game, especially the really mean and evil dicks who stop at nothing to make their opinion the word of God.

Since you people love DOOM more than anyone else I know, I figured you'd be able to help me out with this. Keep in mind though that I'm cursed with OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), and that makes coping with shit like this 50X harder for me.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

Ignore them.

That.

Different people like and dislike different things. It's normal. There's no need to go on a crusade to convert the heathens to the one true way.

Another vote for "Ignore them".

People like and dislike different things. That's how it should be.

What do you hope to achieve by "defending" Doom? Nothing will change.

Gez said:

There's no need to go on a crusade to convert the heathens to the one true way.

That's what the enemies are pretty much doing.

Well one of my biggest goals is to never become like my enemies. So if trying to convert non-believers is the enemies' way, then I won't do it. I'll do my absolute best to try and ignore them like you say.

Actually, I always try telling myself that ignoring is the answer to all my problems, but "myself" never wants to listen, so if I could just do something to make it listen...

Mystery Man in 3D said:

but "myself" never wants to listen, so if I could just do something to make it listen...

It's all about self control. Find something better to occupy your time.

Play Doom, appreciate it the same way we all do. Eventually the negativity fades.

Ignore them. Don't waste your time thinking of them as "enemies" either, it's simply a matter of having different tastes in games.

Arguments like this are pointless. No one ever changes their mind. Do you expect to have your mind changed by the "enemies" so that at the end of the debate you will think Doom is crap? Almost certainly not. Even despite the fact that Doom is a good game, you are as unlikely to change the "enemies" to your way of thinking as they are to change you to theirs.

And when it comes down to it, does it matter? Is it important that some guy on a forum doesn't like a game that you do? Of course it isn't. Play the games you like and let the other guy(s) play the games they like. No one loses. Everyone wins.

If you're going to spend your time and effort making "enemies" or trying to win hearts and minds, can I suggest you do it with something a little more important than a decades old video game? ;)

Enjay said:

If you're going to spend your time and effort making "enemies" or trying to win hearts and minds, can I suggest you do it with something a little more important than a decades old video game? ;)

Tell that to the guy who wrote that review in the first place...

Again, you guys are all right. I will start working on ignoring people who disagree with me. After all, I do prefer peace over hostility.

I'd like this thread closed though, now that my dilemma is solved.

It's OPM. You really expected an objective review? Their job is to help hock the next Medal of Duty Black Contemporary Warfield 27, NOT promote a compilation rerelease of an 8-year-old game.

I normally read PLAY magazine, haven't red their review of D3BFG yet, but I remember they actually had the balls to give RAGE 6/10, so ...

Mystery Man in 3D said:

Again, you guys are all right. I will start working on ignoring people who disagree with me.

Not that at all - it's often very useful to listen to people who disagree with you. You can learn a lot from other points of view.

Rather, the point is simply to accept that other people have differing opinions. There's no sense in getting angry over those opinions or trying to "force" them to change.

The Doom games are commonly cited as some of the greatest of all time, but in the end the fact is, that's just subjective opinion. There's no objective way you can "measure" how good a game is and "prove" that Doom is better than (for example) Super Mario Galaxy. It's like trying to argue that one type of food is better than another.

So basically, listen to what other people say, but learn to distinguish between what's factually, demonstrably true (which you can argue against) and what's subjective opinion (which you cannot).

Even despite the fact that Doom is a good game, you are as unlikely to change the "enemies" to your way of thinking as they are to change you to theirs.

Can't say I agree.

Once you like something, generally the only reason you'll stop liking it is if you progress further into the game and find something you dislike, or if you grow bored of it. Extremely unlikely you're going to stop liking something just because others tell you it sucks... Well, unless you're Brandon D. Lade I guess, but let's assume, like most people, you aren't.

On the other hand, there are many reasons to dislike games, and sometimes it's because they never had the right exposure - i.e. gave it a quick go, gave up, or didn't even try the game at all and dislike it based on preconceived ideas about the premise, the trailers, the art style or what have you. Sometimes, a little push from someone else is all it takes to start having fun. I've made other people enjoy games they'd have never touched, and I've also been on the receiving end countless times.

Granted, someone looking at people who disagree with them as enemies may not necessarily be in the right mindset to handle different viewpoints; even then, sometimes ideas we initially disagree with still make their way unconsciously, given enough time.

You can't please everybody. If they don't like Doom, then that's fine. It's understandable. Not everybody loves Doom, but when people start talking shit about Doom, I say fuck'em and forget'em.

Phml said:

Can't say I agree...

You make several good points. I'm not trying to say that it is never worth trying to change someone's mind or that it can't be done where games are concerned.

However, I still suspect that, in this situation, on the site in question, changing opinions is extremely unlikely. Indeed, I suspect that most of the "opinions" are not really opinions as such but easily spouted lowest common denominator rhetoric repeated without any real consideration, willingness to listen or research. I suspect.

In light of the horrible review Official PlayStation Magazine UK wrote for DOOM 3 BFG Edition

Dude, you can't create a thread with the name like that if the subject is not Doom but Doom 3. Classic Doom is perfect, Doom 3 and pointless BFG edition are not. If someone bashes Classic Doom, he's either trolling or understands nothing in video games, and you can safely brag about it. BFG can suck it, it's not worth the money. Couple of angry reviews will not hurt to bring some sense into Beth and id. Just chill from the OPM forum shitstorm, if you are still shackin'.

Again, you guys are all right. I will start working on ignoring people who disagree with me.

Yeah, just ignore people who does not agree with you, just like they ignore you.

Well one of my biggest goals is to never become like my enemies.

You stated and failed your biggest goal in one thread.

If you are ignoring something, you are not dealing with it, because, duh, you can't deal or not deal with something that's absent.

I wouldn't really ignore them, just point out that they are a bunch of sissies who's asses are filled with cinema cocks.

DooM DooM DooM DooM DooM DooM DooM DooM DooM DooM DooM DooM!

If you do nothing but insult them over their preferences or even just suggest that doom is the only "right game", then wouldn't you be no better than any of them?

Not really difficult to cope with, to each their own as long as they don't blatantly bash it without having tried for more than 5 minutes.

Or i just say "Your loss"

InsanityBringer said:

If you do nothing but insult them over their preferences or even just suggest that doom is the only "right game", then wouldn't you be no better than any of them?

.....n ..no! How can you even defend some cretin who doesn't like Doom?

Inconceivable!

I actually had an ex who started to hate Doom because I talked about it sooooo much. Maybe I'm at blame here for being so obsessed rofl :) Anywho, I said they should give it a shot and not to judge a game by its graphics..... (as this person had never played a game before the year 2000 it seemed)
The response I got was "Enough about Doom! I don't like it and don't want to play it. Its old, crap, etc etc"
Some people are pretty closed minded. I understand if you may not like it if you've PLAYED it, but hating a game without trying... those people aren't really worth talking to.

They can say whatever they want about DOOM, that's their right. You don't have to listen, post replies, or even visit that site. Doing that is just a waste of your limited time and energy which could be spent in other, more fulfilling ways.

I mean, it's one thing if you enjoy the discussions, but it doesn't sound like that's the case. So just avoid those kinds of sites entirely, and save yourself the grief.

I get funny hateful Xbox Live messages from random people telling me I suck cause I have a DOOM gamer pic.

Hitting the "block communications" on their profile is a satisfying solution :)

I'm not really bothered at all by people not liking Doom, though it does confuse me that they usually tend to cite its low resolution graphics as the reason. If that were the case there wouldn't be so many faux-retro styled games doing so well. I think it's more a kneejerk reaction than an actual opinion formed from having an experience with the game.

Nomad said:

it does confuse me that they usually tend to cite its low resolution graphics as the reason

Not liking something because it's old is one of those arguments I really can't stand. Similarly, people who automatically think old things are better than new things make no sense. Either way, something's age alone is a ridiculous reason to like or not like it, unless there's a specific aspect to it that causes offence or deserves praise that was a unique product of it's time.

Everyone is allowed their opinion, but I think you should come up with a better reason to like or not like something than "Because it's old/new". It's not just a flippant way of dismissing something that's the preserve of children and teenagers, either; people who are old enough to be able to explain themselves more thoroughly are just as guilty of it.

If you know them personally, make 'em play it. Works for me every time.

If it's some mong on the internet who types in ALL CAPS though, just ignore them.

If someone doesn't like Doom, you must destroy them.

Make a list of all these people, acquiring dox if you can. This will enable you to find them easier. Make sure your list is written on paper and titled "people who hate the videogame called DOOM and must die" so the press are 100% sure what the scapegoat is. Make sure you shoot every single one in the back of the head, so they don't see you coming, and yell "FOR DOOOOOOM!" when the police close in on you to take you down, and you shoot yourself in the head. Keep it real, bro.

If you feel you need to rehearse this, make likenesses of these people as enemies in a Doom WAD and play it religiously to the detriment of all your social relationships and/or personal hygiene.

*removes tongue from cheek*

Really, who cares? Live and let live.