Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang

Disney sucks now

I love to watch Disney films since a child, Disney Princess series probably my favourite. Walt Disney is a great man, he "invented" a lot of wonderful characters like Mickey Mouse(Inspired from a dancing mouse), Peter Pan etc. Note that Mary Poppins isn't "invented" by Walt Disney, though it's a Disney film with most awards, it's P. L. Travers who "invented" it.

However after Walt Disney died, I noticed that Disney starts to go downhill. Disney channel starts to show crap films like "High School Musical" and stupid "Hannah Montana" show! What the fucking hell is this????? This is not Disney!!! It's Teeny-Bopper crap!!!!!

I know that Disney have a cooperation with Pixar, "Toy Story" and "Finding Nemo" are examples of films by both Pixar and Disney. However I only like these 2 films of new Disney, other new Disney films like "Wall E" and "Up" are fucking craps, shitty as hell!

WTF really happened? For commercial? For money? I missed the old Disney films like Cinderella and Snow White! :(

Let's have a discussion about this phenomenon.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

What the fucking hell is this????? This is not Disney!!! It's Teeny-Bopper crap!!!!!

Maybe if you were of the age that this stuff is marketed towards, you would love it.

Having said that, I do agree that old school Disney films were works of art, and generally speaking the quality of their films have declined over the decades (Toy Story being an exception). But I'm positive that people's ages influence their opinions.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:
[...]other new Disney films like "Wall E" and "Up" are fucking craps, shitty as hell![...]]

What's it like to not have a SOUL?!

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

other new Disney films like "Wall E" and "Up" are fucking craps, shitty as hell!

Your opinion seems to differ from the VAST majority of critics. Care to elaborate on this?

Because new Disney films are somehow too "Anime-Like". What can I say? Maybe just my opinion or something, as I always have an independent view, but indeed quite a lot of people think Disney now sucks.

I am not sure about the VAST majority of critics, and I don't care about it. All I think is that new Disney films are a lot different from the classic one. Scientific? Action-like? Or............... I accept Toy Story, however it seems too much new Disney films are "Anime-Like" and "Action-Like".

I also curious about the reason of High School Musical and Pirates of the Carribean to become a part of Disney films. I can only say that Disney have lose their touch, no more fairy tales with beautiful music, magic, fairies, princess etc. But only left with actions and scientific.

New cartoons of Disney isn't as entertaining as before, I really like the classic films of Disney, it's not the traditional way it does.

Sorry I am very poor at ability of expression.

DoomUK said:

Maybe if you were of the age that this stuff is marketed towards, you would love it.

I am 22 now, but I show no interest in High School Musical. Till now, I still like to watch Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Princess Aurora(Sleepy Beauty) etc, even in Eslite(A very famous bookstore in Taiwan).

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

I can only say that Disney have lose their touch, no more fairy tales with beautiful music, magic, fairies, princess etc.

I guess Disney ran out of popular European fairy tales and folklore to make animated films out of. Either they moved on or ended up making remakes of all these classic films, which people would only complain about.

This is one of my personal favourites btw.

DoomUK said:

Either they moved on or ended up making remakes of all these classic films, which people would only complain about.

Leds me think of Cinderella 2(Dreams come true) and 3(A twist in Time) etc.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:
However after Walt Disney died, I noticed that Disney starts to go downhill. Disney channel starts to show crap films like "High School Musical" and stupid "Hannah Montana" show!

Walt left in 1966. High School Musical and Hannah Montana appeared in 2006, so there's about 40 years of both uphill and downhill (although I always liked their 1970s animation, probably because I grew up with it) in there...

I'd say all of Disney's movies are still pretty top notch, not counting the direct-to-video shit they squeeze out (sequels to films that never ever needed or even should have sequels), and the garbage they make for TV. I'm willing to let that slide because they're just doing what for the money that will make them money for the real projects.

Though it's true while once their animation studios were master artists, now they rely a little too heavily on computer animation. Which is understandable from a financial and time standpoint (they can get more done in less time with less expenditures), but as a result their films have lost a magic they once had.

Hey Daiyu, what did you think of The Princess and the Frog?

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

WTF really happened? For commercial? For money? I missed the old Disney films like Cinderella and Snow White! :(

Nothing is static, and if they were still cranking out films like these, it'd have to be acknowledged at some point that Disney is a one-trick pony that should stick to things like theme parks and releasing old films from their vault. Technology, morals, etc. have all moved forward and Disney is merely adapting to the times. Even The Princess and the Frog, which is closer to their old films than any other recent release, presented a more complete, mautre story than their '50s works.

That being said, I still love all of the "big" releases from the '90s. That could be due, in-part, to the fact that I saw them when I was really young child.

So, you're merely a fan of Disney's animated features produces during their Golden Period. OK, fair enough, it was, after all, their Golden Period for a reason. But it has not been all rosy for Disney either.

They went through a 70s-80s decline and only picked up pace after 1988, with "The Little Mermaid" and their 90s big hits (Aladdin, The Lion King etc.), the so-called "Disney Renaissance".

Also, Disney always has also produced live-action movies ever since they were in business, but not all of them were really that good.

And don't forget that already during the 90s they started pumping out Direct-to-video sequels and made-for-TV shows, also due to the competition from Warner. Adding teen-bop live action stuff to their portfolio was just par for the course, but it has little to do with how they produce their feature-length animations.

Nomad said:

Hey Daiyu, what did you think of The Princess and the Frog?

Havn't watch that yet though I know the story. I think Princess Tiana is ugly, the ugliest princess in Disney ever. Second and third ugliest are Jasmine and Mulan(She don't look like Chinese) respectively. Actually my favourite Disney character is Cinderella, she's kind, gorgeous, strong-willed etc. Well, I am not a sissy, Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique isn't suitable for me.

Most films rely on computer animation now, even Mummy 3 and Lord of the Rings.

What a shame that Disney Princess is a history now. Disney will not produce any Disney Princess films because boys think it sucks(I don't think so, I love Disney Princess a lot although I am a boy), and young girls nowadays consider themselves too cool to be princesses. I hope Disney Princess "returns" one day.

I am happy about the discussion of Disney. In Taiwan, most of my classmates knows nothing about Disney. Most Taiwanese teenagers only cares about Manga and anime, also very poor English! Indeed I born in Taiwan too, but I watch Disney films since a kid..........in English..........and without subtitles! And I hate Manga and anime, except Doraemon.

Whilst I admit that we are at a loss these days from that magic which came from the original films. The Jungle book was my favourite Disney film. And whilst the history has already been said and I agree wholeheartedly. Disney does still put out good stuff, most of the stuff with pixar is pretty decent, toy story above all else here. High school musical is rather meh and not my kind of thing but that's more to do with culture rather than specific to Disney.
Disney is like any other company really, does good stuff and crap stuff.
BTW I actually quite like Walle, never seen up though so can't comment.

"A few media giants, such as AOL Time Warner, General Electric, Viacom, Disney, and Rupert Murdoch’s NewsGroup, control nearly everything we read, see, and hear."
— Chris Hedges

As far as modern cartoons go, Gravity Falls is awesome. One of the few shows on TV I actually keep updated with.

Oh, and I saw Wreck it Ralph last week, and that shit was the bomb diggity.

I've never been much of a fan of Disney. I just don't like the characters, story, art style, or anything about it.

All I ever liked about Disney was the 80s and 90s tv cartoons they produced and maybe a few of the cartoon movies.

I LIKED DISNEY WHEN I WAS A KID BUT I DON'T LIKE IT NOW CAUSE IT'S FOR KIDS

This is what you sound like.

Technician said:

Fuck that was stupid.

Pretty sure that was the intention for the character.

Anyway. I was always partial to stuff like Bernard and Bianca myself.
As far as your opinion on Disney goes. It's obvious you're cherishing the movies you grew up watching and is not as enamored by the new material that you don't have that kind of history with.

cannonball said:

The Jungle book was my favourite Disney film.

Disney is like any other company really, does good stuff and crap stuff.

Jungle Book, ah very useful in Scout(Not TF2).

lol. I agree not all Disney films are good. e.g Cinderella 2(Dreams come true), kind of boring story. Fa Mulan also sucks because the protagonist looks like someone from India or Middle-East country, very ugly too. And one thing is, according to references in both China and Taiwan, there's no information that Fa Mulan actually a princess.

I like some of the older movies like Daiyu has mentioned, those from the 50s up to the 90s but nothing really beyond because of the overuse of CG animation by Pixar and Dreamworks(?).

I may hate everything else Disney but old movies I can still enjoy if they come up.

Don Bluth is the man.
Secret of NIMH, Titan AE, Iron Giant, An American Tail... all classics.

Mr. Chris said:

...but nothing really beyond because of the overuse of CG animation by Pixar and Dreamworks(?).

Dreamworks has nothing to do with Disney as far as I'm aware. I'm also kind of surprised that the people that bought as Toy Story and Shrek (respectively) are seen as some sort of evil by you just because of the method of animation they use.

As for this thread... It's for kids. Of course you liked the ones that were relevant when you were a kid - we all did. These days the only Disney (or Pixar or Dreamworks or...) animated films worth watching will be the ones that are inclusive enough to appeal to the whole family. I've been skipping out on most of them as of late, but I'm pretty tempted by Wreck-It Ralph because even though I'm fully anticipating it being a kids film, the nostalgia factor and games-centric theme might endear me to it. As it's coming out here in February, I don't anticipate me actually paying to see it though :P

Phobus said:

As for this thread... It's for kids. Of course you liked the ones that were relevant when you were a kid - we all did.

Indeed, Disney Princess is my favourite. Maybe I am too childish.........