Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ArmouredBlood

Zero Punctuation: "Review" comparing Medal of Honor Warfighter and Doom 3 BFG Edition

Nice to see Yahtzee actually mentioned the censoring of the Nazi levels in Doom 2 and how it's less scary being brighter in Doom 3.

Mr. Chris said:

Nice to see Yahtzee actually mentioned the censoring of the Nazi levels in Doom 2 and how it's less scary being brighter in Doom 3.

Doesn't an alarm go off in your head when not even Yahtzee gives a flying shit about either of these things? A man whose actual job it is to highlight the smallest, pettiest details of games for comedic effect?

Seriously, it's time you let this go.

It's kind of funny to see how Doom 3 is now "alright" through dint of not being as bad as SGWW games (or "Modern Shooters"). It's been obvious for a while that he holds the original Doom games in relatively high regard, so I'm not too surprised that he's no fan of SGWW/gun wanks/"Modern Shooters".

Phobus said:

It's kind of funny to see how Doom 3 is now "alright" through dint of not being as bad as SGWW games (or "Modern Shooters").

Just curious, what has he previously said about Doom 3? I vaguely remember him mentioning it in his previous videos (like how it isn't as good of a horror game as Silent Hill 2 is), but I don't think I've ever watched or read a more thorough review of his.

DoomUK said:

Just curious, what has he previously said about Doom 3? I vaguely remember him mentioning it in his previous videos (like how it isn't as good of a horror game as Silent Hill 2 is), but I don't think I've ever watched or read a more thorough review of his.

He frequently brings up Doom 3 as the original source of darkness in FPS games and a bad example of horror. The actual original Doom and Doom 2 pop up surprisingly often in his Extra Punctuation article (as well as getting visual mentions in some ZP videos) for a range of reasons. Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure he says that them being so absurd is what makes them so good, as well as the player speed and very high carrying capacity being much more fun than the modern trend of slow, bullet-sponging players limited to a couple of weapons at a time from a large pool that are largely cosmetic differences anyway.

Doom 3 was a good game but good is not good enough when it comes to Id Software. I think all it needed was better gameplay and more variety in emmm, everything. Take for instance the monster closets: People dislike them in Doom 3 yet never complain about them in the originals. Why? Because they don't appear 100 times in a level. Same goes for everything else, from the overuse of gray to the overuse of imps(which are also gray).

Warfighter really is a joke though, one of the most boring shooters EVER.

Mr. Freeze said:

I'm not giving the Escapist more hits. Can anyone do a tl;dr version for me?

OMGURSORAD

If you want to be mean to them, the better way to do that is watching it with an adblocker on. That way you'll spend their bandwidth without them getting any ad revenue from you.

DoomUK said:

Why not?

General idiocy of that site aside (which I won't delve into), I find Yahtzee to be incredibly tedious to listen to.

Mr. Freeze said:

You are not losing anything. I should have done the same, just ignoring the link.

Mr. Freeze said:

Doom 3 is how first person shooters should be, and modern FPSes like Warfighter suck. Warfighter is a silly name.

Mr. Chris said:

He didn't mention those things because they're irrelevant minor details that nobody cares about apart from you.

fraggle said:

Doom 3 is how first person shooters should be, and modern FPSes like Warfighter suck. Warfighter is a silly name.

A fairer take on the first part would be that Doom 3 is more like how FPS games should be, as he was quick to point out that being brighter only removed one of the many game play flaws Doom 3 has, but the game itself is still much better (from a playability stand-point) than games like CoD: MW3, Battlefield 3 and MoH: Warfighter.

Avoozl said:

The later of the ghost reacon series first used warfighter in the titles before MOHWF.

That only makes it an even lazier thing to call it.

Avoozl said:

The later of the ghost reacon series first used warfighter in the titles before MOHWF.

Yahtzee does mention this and state that it was stupid back then too.