Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Can't Touch This - 1 map, multi mapper project

It came up in my mind and considered a single map, multi mapper project to see if anyone wants to participate. The map is a techbase/urban style map and I have worked on creating the base for those interested in helping.

Rules:

-Must remain limit removing with no port specific stuff (ZDoom, Eternity, JDoom, etc) but Boom specific lines are OK.

-No extra textures, use vanilla Doom 2 texture set.

-No sounds or custom music (already chose for latter)

-Try not to overdo detail or thing placement.

-Some non-linearity is a plus.

-When a section of the map is done, please upload it in a zip to a site such as Mediafire and PM the link to me.

-Edited maps should have a _update## suffix (IE ctouch_update01.wad)

The goal is to produce a reasonably challenging map with co-op support with multiple authors so if you have any questions or show interest, just ask below. I will also provide the base file once I see a number of users interested in this.

**ADDED DEC 13th, 2012**
Also as an update, mappers have a time period of 7-10 days for editing before sending it off to the next person in the list.

Edit 3/2/2013: Added one playtester
Edit 3/3/2013: Removed Hellbent from list due to holding up the project for almost a month.

Edit 3/28/2013: Added dachauncinator as mapper/playtester.

Users interested:
Obsidian
BloodyAcid
Pottus
Rambosee
dachauncinator
NoneeLlama/LoveMechs

Interested playtesters:
Rizera
Megamur
dachauncinator

Sounds interesting. Actually, it surprises me that this has not been done before (or has it?).

Just wondering, how big do you expect this map to be? I'd like to playtest it.

Obsidian said:

Heh, I was thinking of doing something like this. Anyways, count me in.

All right, in!

Rizera said:

Sounds interesting. Actually, it surprises me that this has not been done before (or has it?).

Just wondering, how big do you expect this map to be? I'd like to playtest it.

Medium to Medium-large. Not huge but perhaps slightly larger than your average sized map.

BloodyAcid said:

It's like that but I don't want to have 100 people involved in the project. Maybe 10 folks max?

I'll toss up the download link up when a 5th user shows some interest for mapping contributions, then the file will be tossed up but what we're doing is going to give everyone a week-10 days to do some editing then the file will be given to the next person on line to do the same.

After a full round of edits, feel free to do (and sendint to playtesters) testing and post stuff here, even screenshots if you desire then the train continues until the map is completed.

How does this sound everyone? Does it sound fair?

--Edited to reflect larger amount of time.

We need to have a "WADs not in progress" page where people can pick up projects where others have left off.

Bucket said:

We need to have a "WADs not in progress" page where people can pick up projects where others have left off.

That is honestly one of the best ideas I have heard of in a while.

There was such a site in development but ironically it was never finished! I think it was called Limbo.

Okay, we got enough people so the edit train will start with Obsidian. After he has done his edits, he will pass the modified map to the next person (BloodyAcid) and so forth he passes it to the next afterwards. At the end of the train I will throw in some stuff onto the map and finally pass it to him again, rinse repeat.

Obsidian -> BloodyAcid -> Pottus -> Rambosee -> Hellbent -> NoneeLlama/LoveMechs -> Me(Maybe?) -> Back to Obsidian -> Rinse/repeat train here

And of course betas will be posted after each round for group analysis and critique/testing.

Another couple of development shots:

The reason the TNT sky is used in these shots is because I forgot to remove TNT.WAD from the game config in Doom Builder (was doing Brutalized Final Doom).

Despite the additions, it's far from finished.

I was uploading "The Damned" and I accidentally uploaded the file instead of the text file.

Also sent the update to Rambosee but have not heard back in almost a week.

Can we get a status update on this Mr.Chris? I think it's important everyone in the loop is kept informed =)

Well shit.
I was installing a new computer during the week I got the map and my old one was formatted, and I could see that you sent me the map Chris from my phone, but I couldn't respond or download it. It's done now, so choose if you want to give me a second chance or continue on the loop.

I'll gladly playtest whenever there's enough to test. I'd love to add to the map as well, but I work way too slow to get anything done in 3-4 days.

I should jack the amount of time to a week, which sounds better and not deadlineish.

It's at Rambosee right now. He had to do a system format or something, hence the delay.