Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chungy

Hell on Steam returns

Final Doom and the original release of Doom 3 were previously removed for purchase on the Steam store following the release of Doom 3: BFG Edition, but have returned at half the price they were previously. No word yet on Master Levels, which were previously bundled with Doom II; in addition, the id Software Super Pack remains absent, which contained every id Software game (and Quake 4).

Mystery Man in 3D said:

What if they've been modified while they were down?

Well first off, even though you couldn't buy them, people who already owned them could still download them, as is always the case when a game gets removed from Steam. Second, they haven't been changed at all.

To add to the news bit, Ultimate Doom and Doom II also got the price cut, which is definitely good news. I see the new pricing a much better fit for these games, considering their age and distributed format. However, I do hope the Master Levels situation isn't permanent. Steam was the last retail outlet selling them (excluding the second-hand market), after all.

Perhaps also worth a mention is the removal of three Doom 3 engine games: Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Prey and the 2009 Wolfenstein remake. They were removed earlier though, and their removal most probably isn't related to the BFG Edition.

I deleted Doom 2 from my Steam directory and redownloaded it, the content is the same as the original version and not the butchered BFG Edition's version.

Edit: Ultimate Doom is untouched as well.

Janizdreg said:
Perhaps also worth a mention is the removal of three Doom 3 engine games: Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Prey and the 2009 Wolfenstein remake. They were removed earlier though, and their removal most probably isn't related to the BFG Edition.

WTF? Why? :-(
I mean, I already own the game but... it's a good game, why they did that?
I bet they'll "fix" it like they did with the missing Doom titles. There's somehing weird going on with iD titles on Steam.

Mr. Chris said:

the butchered BFG Edition's version.

I am getting tired of all of the drama about the BFG edition being a "butchered version".

So the medkits no longer have a health icon and the nazi levels are a bit different. So what? Its such a minor change that it barely even makes any difference whatsoever.

hardcore_gamer said:

Its such a minor change that it barely even makes any difference whatsoever.

I'd have to disagree on the secret map changes: the maps are ridiculously boring without the Wolfenstein theme. I've only watched a video myself, but I can tell that all the pizazz is gone completely.

Obsidian said:

I'd have to disagree on the secret map changes: the maps are ridiculously boring without the Wolfenstein theme. I've only watched a video myself, but I can tell that all the pizazz is gone completely.

They were ALWAYS boring. Simply having SS men instead of zombies does not magically fix the boring and simplistic map design.

I never liked Wolf3D (even back in the day) and I'm also not a fan of MAP31-32. But there are some pretty cool Wolf3D-themed PWADs that actually take advantage of the improvements that DOOM brought to the table. However, those depend on the IWAD nazi textures and sprites, and they'd probably look lame if you were to play them in this BFG edition.

If they'd censored the original game, it would be different. Those PWADs would have needed to have their own custom textures, etc. It's no different than if they took out all the pentagrams and other "evil" themed resources, because it offends some religious folks.

hardcore_gamer said:

They were ALWAYS boring. Simply having SS men instead of zombies does not magically fix the boring and simplistic map design.

The novelty of the Wolfenstein paraphernalia is supposed to offset the simplicity of the map: personally I found it a pretty interesting experience when I originally played Doom II. If the first time I'd played Doom II was via the BFG edition, I'd be extremely disappointed.

One thing that always bothered me with the Wolf levels in Doom is that they are based on 128x128 rather than 64x64. I think it would have been more fun for them to be more like the originals in that respect. Mind you, they couldn't have used a cyberdemon in a 64 tall room.

WolfenDoom does that, and the levels are just too cramped. It makes co-op a pain in the ass, to boot.

The "correct" size might be 96x96. 128x128 dwarfs the player, but 64x64 is really too small.

Hmmm, true. In Wolf, the player does seem a little smaller compared to the 64x64 grid than the Doom player does in a similar map.

The only reason you should even be playing the BFG versions of Doom 1 & 2 is for the achievements.

If one even cares about those.

And for No Rest for the Living.

It's $15 for Doom 1,2, and Final all together. What were they before, $10-$20 apiece? (I don't remember.) Cough up the 5 bucks and use a real port instead.

As for you console plebs and doomer-come-latelys, what, you don't have a computer in the house somewhere?

Oh and by the way, seriously, the Master levels, you are not missing anything.