Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mystery Man in 3D

Does DOOM take skill?

This question is somehow stupid. :(

It depends how well you know about doom, and your experiences.

And of course everything takes skills, including your schoolwork!

hex11 said:

I play DOOM for the story.

This is actually not that ridiculous of a concept. The fast-paced gameplay is an intense draw to me but the biggest draw is the sense of immersion and loneliness. Some people don't qualify that under story but I feel the isolation of Doomguy IS the story. It is the subject of my one and only Doom fanfic.

Imo anyone can play Doom; kill the enemies and find the exit. It's just that you need to master the game to not lose too much health or waste ammo or to play on more difficult levels. So I'd say 50/50 :)

Astoundingly stupid question. The answer to which cannot be quantized. Best attempt: It takes a moderate amount of skill, especially on harder difficulties, and especially in regards to the "hold your hand" style of modern games.

No regular player can beat the hardest wads. Not only that, no good player can beat any map on their first try.
This answers the question.

can beat any map on their first try.

You're telling me you couldn't beat Entryway on your first try?

Rizera said:

No regular player can beat the hardest wads. Not only that, no good player can beat any map on their first try.
This answers the question.

A bit of an exaggeration, but generally true, especially in regards to the first half of that statement. In a lot of modern shooters, there's a good chance you'll do okay for multiple levels on the first time. "Doom" was released back when gaming, especially first person shooter, was still an elitist hardcore kind of affair.

GoatLord said:

A bit of an exaggeration, but generally true, especially in regards to the first half of that statement. In a lot of modern shooters, there's a good chance you'll do okay for multiple levels on the first time. "Doom" was released back when gaming, especially first person shooter, was still an elitist hardcore kind of affair.

Play Doom on skill 2 (or skill 1) and tell me it's for a hardcore player. I think everyone's forgotten how easy it is.

BloodyAcid said:

You're telling me you couldn't beat Entryway on your first try?

No, I'm talking that I couldn't beat some of the latter Hell Revealed 2, Speed Of Doom and Sunder maps on my first try. Ultra-Violence, of course.

GoatLord said:

I don't think it's an exaggeration. Of course, I was talking about Ultra-Violence. The aforementioned Speed Of Doom maps (example: MAP27, MAP28 and MAP29) and Sunder maps (MAP03 and above) are good examples of maps that good players most likely won't beat them in their first try.

It does take skill, and that skill takes quite a while to get. Practice your ass off! Thats why some of those 14 year old kids are insanely good, cus all they do is play all day.
Heck, when I started playing I used to play on "I'm too young to die" all day lol. But within time I finally was able to play UV without dying :)
Doom does take skill I reckon, but I don't think it takes much brains ;)

Rizera said:

No, I'm talking that I couldn't beat some of the latter Hell Revealed 2, Speed Of Doom and Sunder maps on my first try. Ultra-Violence, of course.

I think not, at least if we're talking about 0 deaths FDA. Many of those maps contain traps that will feel cheap on first try playthrough, more luckbased than skillbased if you manage to handle them without dying. Besides, I suck at FDA business overall.

Why are we even entertaining this question? This has to be the most awful question about doom ever. That this thread has not been hurled into the fiery pits of Post Hell is beyond my comprehension. It's like asking "is it required to fire weapons to beat the game?" Well, nevermind, that's a much better question to ask. See? It's such a terrible question I can't even find an equally bad one to compare it to.