Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

The new Hell levels are awesome

I'm in the middle of playing the Lost Mission, the new hell levels are much better than the original Doom 3's Hell levels.

Sodaholic said:

I'm in the middle of playing the Lost Mission, the new hell levels are much better than the original Doom 3's Hell levels.

I don't know about MUCH better, but they are lots of fun. I personally felt that some of the areas were too copy/pasted however.

I played the Lost Mission last night in one playthrough, it took me just over 2 hours.

I was impressed with the Hell section, some great ideas there such as the dark cathedral with blood-drenched windows and the martian outpost. The opening section reminds me of Oblivion.

If you look carefully though you can see some lazy areas such as large blank walls, badly cut-off or tiling textures and the obvious copy-paste. It's less dark (both literally and metaphorically) than the original Doom 3 Hell, but much more fun. Noticed a bug where if the zombies are caught under a crusher, they simply freeze for a second before disapearing. Missing death animation for being crushed?

Also noticed that the Imp and Hellknight no longer retain their pentagram-etched stone forms for some reason, oversight or deliberate choice I dunno.

The final boss was a let-down, just being a scaled down Guardian. Missed opportunity there, Spider Mastermind would have been cool but maybe they are saving that for Doom 4!

I liked the original D3 Hell, but The Lost Mission one was better, imo. Has more architectural themes such as cathedral arches and windows, massive staircases and bridges, etc. Really goes back more to the classic Doom version of Hell.

I think the original Doom 3 Hell level is a classic, and personally I don't think it has been topped.

Also, hi.

Captain Toenail said:

Spider Mastermind would have been cool but maybe they are saving that for Doom 4!

Me too but.. one can dream..

I think the new Hell levels are the very best levels in Doom 3, right alongside the remake of the Central Processing level.

It fixes many problems the original Doom 3 had, the worst one being the LACK OF VARIETY (I even rode a boat!On LAVA!), absurd darkness and little action. It even manages to revitalize and modernize the classic Doom feeling we are all accustomed to. If the Doom 4 maps look as good as these, I will be very pleased.

I really like how the new Hell levels manage to make each section of the maps unique and interesting. My favorite parts are the burnt wooden structure, the floating castle made of flesh, bones and bricks and the Gothic cathedral with bloody windows. They should have used these design principles when designing the tech bases as well. I was hoping I would see other colors than gray(blue would have been very nice) or sudden changes in architecture like... a base corrupted into a hellish outpost with bricks, rivers of blood and remnants of the UAC here and there(kind of like E2).

All in all, I think the Hell maps demonstrate that you CAN have maps that have a strong classic Doom vibe in Doom 3, while keeping the technical and aesthetic advances of game intact.

I would LOVE to see more Doom 3 maps made by people from Doomworld in this style but that probably won't happen either because the map editor is too hard to use or because people are too jaded about Doom 3.

Hell is the only good section of Lost Mission.

Visually it's really good. In terms of gameplay there's too much of "kill monsters to unlock the exit" in each and every room.

Touchdown said:

In terms of gameplay there's too much of "kill monsters to unlock the exit" in each and every room.

Does that mean Serious Sam style arena battles? These can be very fun if done right.

Tetzlaff said:

Does that mean Serious Sam style arena battles? These can be very fun if done right.

Sorta, except the arenas are smaller. Still, I think they pulled it off well, it was really fun fighting the monsters in the new open feeling Hell levels as opposed to the original game's techbase levels with its bland, narrow corridors.

Sodaholic said:

Sorta, except the arenas are smaller. Still, I think they pulled it off well, it was really fun fighting the monsters in the new open feeling Hell levels as opposed to the original game's techbase levels with its bland, narrow corridors.

Too bad they teleported in waves. The levels also could have been less linear.

I agree, this hell levels are really awesome. I feel like in good old days when I first play hell levels in Doom\Doom2. Most of the time I spent on admiring this strange areas. Fantastic atmosphere.