Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joe-ilya

3d floor and deep water in one sector

You can do it with ZDoom too - if you are lucky. The combination may work, it may not. Even if it works, it could also break at some point in the future, I guess, because it is not an officially supported construct. But, yeah, I did have an old map where I added 3D floors over some transfer heights pools a few years back. It worked just as I wanted it to and the map still looks correct.

However, using 3D floors for both the transfer heights and the 3D floor structure (as Gez said) is a far more reliable way to go and will probably be easier to set up too. I certainly wouldn't do it another way in ZDoom nowadays.

I mean that Skulltag is just a (an old) modified version of ZDoom using (an old version) of the GZDoom renderer so everything that was said about 3D floors and transfer heights in ZDoom should also be correct for Skulltag. ie You shouldn't try and use them together. Use a 3D floor instead of the transfer heights.

3D floors should work (On doom builder it's a special called Set 3D floor). Transfer heights will not work. I've worked with multiple 3D floors within Deep water before.

GZDooM will not properly render 3D sectors underwater. In other words, if you have horizontal bars underwater, the bars will be drawn weirdly. See this post for details.

3d floors underwater? So that means you can ONLY have 3d floors ABOVE deep water (it will work fine), not under water. I see. So if the WATER is a 3d floor, then having a 3d floor inside a 3d floor probably doesn't look to good.

gruntkiller4000 said:

3d floors underwater? So that means you can ONLY have 3d floors ABOVE deep water (it will work fine), not under water. I see. So if the WATER is a 3d floor, then having a 3d floor inside a 3d floor probably doesn't look to good.

i meant above right above the water

joe-ilya said:

i meant above right above the water

PRIMEVAL said:

Like a bridge above swimmable water? I've seen it done in PsychoPhobia, but I wouldn't know how to do it.

If you're asking for something like this, then it's simple. Assuming you're using GZDooM, you create your swimmable water in the normal way. Then you create a sector within your water, and set up your control sector in GZDooM in much the same way. But instead of making the 3D bridge sector swimmable and translucent, you make it solid & opaque. Then you give it the proper height attributes. This is a tutorial that outlines how to do swimmable water and how to do a bridge.