Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Optimus

Things that you thought about Doom that weren't.

sector666 said:

Makes me wonder why they changed that on SNES.

Realistically, it's quite unlikely they would miss. You can usually see spectres quite clearly, and that's the same level of invisibility. If you can hit PI'd targets, why can't the demons?

sector666 said:

On the SNES version, it did do that. At least, you could sneak around anything that wasn't already on alert before you picked up the PI.

As soon as you fired a shot though monsters could see you and would shoot with perfect aim, despite your weapon showing that you still had the powerup.

When I found out years later how PI behaved on PC I always figured the random aiming must have been too complicated for the SNES to handle. Although knowing now how simple the random aiming actually is that doesn't make much sense.

Makes me wonder why they changed that on SNES.

Sorta reminds me of Unreal. When you use invisibility (or the cloak device in RtNP), monsters will most likely not notice you if you're being careful. However, once fired, they know where you are and have perfect (or as perfect as they naturally have) aim.

From when I first played Doom II: I remember being on MAP03 and I was terrified that if one of the Former Sargeants got to the Chaingun before me they'd turn into Chaingunners. Now that I think about it, that'd give an interesting twist to Dooming. Imagine a Hell Knight walking into a pool of blood and walking out as a Baron! That'd be cool.

TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

- Berserk pack only lasts for a limited time like the Radiation-shielding suit (the berserk pack lasts until leaving the level).

In addition to the above, I thought that I would have to wait for the red haze to dissipate before I could switch back to my ranged weapons.

the sky has no limit and you can see the outside of the level
then i couldn't get higher when i thought i will see the top texture of the wall i planned to see
then i thought it's blocked
and then found out its just a texture of some ugly stones
and theres no texture top cause this game is 2d heighted game

and also that the berserks point was just to heal you up to 100%
then i saw doom wiki and saw that it also gives you the ability to punch
thougher for the whole map

Ow man i love this thread! :)

-I was thought that Baron and Knight are same monster
-I was thought that Soul Sphere in Trick and Traps has same effect as a green invicible spheres that turns screen to white

Gez said:

All powerups that expire blink when they do so. The berserk fades out because it'd be damn annoying if the screen remained tinted until the end of the level.

I never thought about why the berserk didn't 'blink' when it ran out! It all makes sense now lol. I've known it lasted the entire map a while now. :)
As a kid, I used to think Hell Knight projectiles did more damage than Barons did. I only found out in my late teens that they actually do the same damage.
One that didn't take long to figure out was I thought the cyberdemon shot his rockets until he couldn't see you, but then I realised he always shoots them 3 in a row

I seem to remember thinking Doom's engine was a lot more advanced than it really was. Took awhile to figure out there weren't slopes or true 3-D geometry, but I figured that room-over-room effects were a regular part of the engine, not a workaround.

Hi people, I'm brand new here. Absolutely LOVE the Doom series. Own Doom games for PC, PSX, Xbox 360.

Anyway, I thought you could survive that black room where you get raped from all angles by demons at the end of E1M8. I was like 5 years old and I had Shareware Doom and I thought it was the real deal...

I thought if I renamed odamex.exe to doom.exe I could get it to work on DOS-based frontends. It doesn't.

I used to think if you pick up so many partial invisibilities they would multiply the amount of invisibleness.

Deathmatcher said:

I have some weird ones :)

-I thought the grunting of roaming Imps was the bubbling of acid pits for a looong time.

This, so much.

I've been playing Doom for more than 10 years but it's only one year ago that I noticed that the imps were the ones doing the noise