Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Doom 3 BFG Edition IWAD patches

Sodaholic said:

NERVE.WAD is NOT included, this only applies to the originals.

Without including it, could you post a listing of its content? If you don't want to bother typing it, you can open it in SLADE 3, select everything, right-click, and click on "compute CRC-32 checksum". Then open the console (Ctrl-2), select all the stuff that was outputted, and place it on pastebin or something.

This information would be useful to me.

Gez said:

Thanks.

Any changes compared to the XBLA version? I'm curious if some of the map issues that were pointed out here when it was first released got fixed.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Any changes compared to the XBLA version? I'm curious if some of the map issues that were pointed out here when it was first released got fixed.

Bit-for-bit identical.

umm it links to that already. did you maybe check the site when the old 1.1 was still up earlier?

esselfortium said:

Read the OP and you might find out?

Reread it and I'd rather not censor my copies of the games. (I'd rather not patch it to BFG Edition level)

Mr. Chris said:

Reread it and I'd rather not censor my copies of the games. (I'd rather not patch it to BFG Edition level)

Maybe read more than the first sentence?

Sodaholic said:

It's actually intended for players who want to play the BFG edition itself without the censorship.

What you're supposed to do is create a new game folder inside the Doom 3 BFG edition folder, and put it in a subdirectory called "wads". Then you should use the launch option to use this new game folder instead of "base".

Thanks for creating the patch. I patched the BFG version and noticed some textures are incorrect. I haven't seen it mentioned before, so maybe I am doing something incorrectly, but I have tried running the patch program on an XP machine and two Win7 machines and it doesn't display any errors.

If I run the same wad in zdoom, the textures look fine, so maybe it is something specific to the BFG edition?

I've got some screenshots from level two:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/248/level21.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/21/level22o.jpg/

Level three exhibits the same thing, but only with certain textures:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/337/level31.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/585/level32.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/821/level33.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/202/level34z.jpg/

The "slime" texture in level 3 looks to be animated, while the one in level 2 is static, which is puzzling.

Any ideas? This has only appeared with Doom2. I haven't gotten that far into Doom 1, so I don't know if the same thing applies.

EDIT: I've manually edited doom2.wad from the BFG edition with both Slade and XWE, but I get the same graphical anomoly, even thought nothing was changed except the ss sprites and the medpack/berserk kit.

I have to retract my previous comment here as I've learned the error I was complaining about is id Software's fault after all... 9_9

Could somebody please post the FILE DATEs of the BFG-Edition's IWADs?
I want to add them to my IWAD-Overview:

http://doomgate.de/content/versions/index.html

Are there differences between BFG-DVD-Rom and BFG-Steam versions??
I don't use steam, so I am not sure, if using steam the file date is automatically the download-date...

Thank you very much!

DoomGater said:

Could somebody please post the FILE DATEs of the BFG-Edition's IWADs?

Steam doesn't retain this information for files in its installs. DVD or Internet. The creation/modified dates/times are all based off the time of install.

DoomGater said:

Are there differences between BFG-DVD-Rom and BFG-Steam versions??

They are the exact same thing. The DVD ROM is the Steam version.

Thanks so far, but the DVD-version must have FIXED file dates for the IWADs, can anybody post them here, please? (Or are the IWADs hidden in some cryptic unextractable container/archiv file on the DVD??

DoomGater said:

But the DVD-version must have FIXED file dates for the IWADs, can anybody post them here, please? (Or are the IWADs hidden in some cryptic container file on the DVD??

The DVD is just an on-disk install for the exact same thing. Here is its contents:

D:\>dir
 Volume in drive D is CD_ROM
 Volume Serial Number is 07EE-438E

Directory of D:\

19/09/2012  10:12 a.m.       105,919,600 208201_depotcache_1.csd
19/09/2012  10:12 a.m.             7,616 208201_depotcache_1.csm
19/09/2012  10:18 a.m.     1,057,352,720 208202_depotcache_1.csd
19/09/2012  10:18 a.m.            90,812 208202_depotcache_1.csm
19/09/2012  10:24 a.m.     1,057,035,360 208202_depotcache_2.csd
19/09/2012  10:24 a.m.            82,604 208202_depotcache_2.csm
19/09/2012  10:27 a.m.     1,057,249,568 208202_depotcache_3.csd
19/09/2012  10:27 a.m.            70,472 208202_depotcache_3.csm
19/09/2012  10:28 a.m.       263,710,624 208202_depotcache_4.csd
19/09/2012  10:28 a.m.            12,512 208202_depotcache_4.csm
19/09/2012  10:28 a.m.       106,479,328 208203_depotcache_1.csd
19/09/2012  10:28 a.m.             4,664 208203_depotcache_1.csm
19/09/2012  10:28 a.m.           355,920 Setup.exe
19/09/2012  10:28 a.m.           411,016 SteamService.exe
19/09/2012  10:28 a.m.                40 autorun.inf
19/09/2012  10:28 a.m.            22,486 icon.ico
19/09/2012  10:35 a.m.    <DIR>          resources
19/09/2012  10:28 a.m.               704 setup.ini
19/09/2012  10:28 a.m.               517 sku.sis
19/09/2012  10:28 a.m.           194,084 splash.tga
              19 File(s)  3,649,000,647 bytes
               1 Dir(s)               0 bytes free
There is no valid creation dates. It's not like you need that anyway, as you have its filesize and SHA-1 you can compare. http://doomwiki.org/wiki/NERVE.WAD

Sidenote: It's not cryptic, the but container formats used do not keep the information you ask for. Not that it matters, as the information is inconclusive.

Oh, I see. I know about file integrity verification by checksums, but I'd like to have the original file creation date, just for fun and to complete my table. So -anyway- one more reason for me to avoid this steamy thing ;-)
BTW its not about nerve.wad, but about the doom and doom2 IWADs..
But anyway- thanks you for detailled information!!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I've recently expressed curiosity in the Doom and Doom 2 BFG Editions, so I decided to give this a shot. Odamex announced full BFG Edition support, so I tried running the patch with my IWADs and successfully created the udoombfg.wad and doom2bfg.wad IWAD files with all the changes made. (I haven't found the secret exit in MAP02 I keep hearing about though...)

Anyway, I ran the IWAD with my NERVE.wad so that I could select the No Rest For The Living episode when prompted "Which Expansion" and it works except for that the levels aren't named correctly in the automap and the correct music tracks aren't playing for the levels.

I've tried running my doom2bfg.wad with NERVEINFO.wad from this steam thread, and I've also tried running it with NERVENFO.wad from theultimatedoom.com wad archive (which is the patch that is used on the Odamex NRFTL servers), which works except for the fact that it patches the music tracks and level names over the original Hell On Earth maps too. Is there a way I can have the patches work with one mapset and not the other?

I don't own the actual BFG Edition IWADs. Can anyone give me confirmation that the correct music for NRFTL plays correctly when selecting it on Odamex, and whether or not it works when using patched IWADs on Odamex as well? I just want to determine if I'm fucking this up or if odamex is fucking this up, or if the patch is fucking it up.

40oz said:

(I haven't found the secret exit in MAP02 I keep hearing about though...)

When you get the red key in the little building, two monster closets open. The secret exit is one of the linedefs in the one on the right, when looking from the red key window. There is nothing special about how it looks -- no switch texture or anything.

The BFG Edition patch must not have modified my maps then. I've tried both closets and resorted to typing iddt to find it and there doesn't appear to be anything. Shame on you though, as the novelty of haplessly searching for a nonexistent secret area is dead for me.

EDIT: wait i found it. I was expecting a secret room with a teleporter inside. That secret was kinda phoned in there. :/

betray and sewers were OK maps IMO (doom 3 collectors of the xbox :P) as well as the XBLA NRFTL but it was overkill in UV, but still 100% achievements!