Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
darknation

software choices.

so, getting the internet in my new-old place sometime this month. Unfortunately my computer got kung-fu'd during a night of drunken debauchery and is now terminally fucked. The emergency backup computer lacks... power.

What I need is a suite of programs that won't rape the computer's limited memory. The girlfriend is an iTard and wants to install itunes, something that will be happening over my dead body. Or, more likely, hers. So a program that converts MP3's into whatever shitty format iPods use would be nice. Need a decent antivirus as well, something light and fluffy that goes easy on the system resources.

Recommendations would be appreciated.

As I recall, an iPod will play an mp3 without any trouble, although it won't play flac, ape, or ogg (perhaps with RockBox though).

But if you want music library/player software that isn't iTunes, check out J.River Media Jukebox - this is the free version of their Media Center, which is excellent. It isn't bloated like iTunes, and will take care of any converting that you need doing, and you can use it to sort your tags out, and manage your music files and directories.

How to save money on software:

1) Don't buy antivirus. Use the microsoft one or, better yet, don't click on shitty links you fucking retard. Oh, and use Chrome. Chrome works smoothly with even the junkiest of computers.

2) Microsoft Office is like a hundred bucks minimum. Don't buy it. Get Open Office if you need to have an office suite on your computer, or better yet, use Google docs and never lose a document again.

3) Media playing. If you want all the features, all the bells and whistles, and none of the shitty bloated memory hogging interface, go for Foobar 2000 for audio and VLC Player for video.

Other than that, everything else is just vidja games and specialty productivity software.

Shaikoten said:

or, better yet, don't click on shitty links you fucking retard.

What about drive-by infections? They don't depend on you being gullible to click shady links. Don't reply with AdBlock or similar, please.

printz said:

What about drive-by infections? They don't depend on you being gullible to click shady links.

But they do depend on you visiting websites that might contain code that activates said downloads, something unlikely to find in e.g. a bank's website.

Unfortunately, such code might even be included in iframe ads found on legitimate -but less "serious" stuff, e.g. gaming websites or forums-, and ISPs and hosters are too happy to publish any ad for a buck. They can afterwards wash their hands if merely hovering on an ad spawns 1000 popups which malicious XSS.

darknation said:

my computer got kung-fu'd during a night of drunken debauchery

Photos or it never happened.

Wait, no.