Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BuffGUh

Who has completed Doom on Nightmare?

So this thread inspired me to go back and have a play on nightmare.

My last serious attempt on Nightmare was waaaaay back in the mid 90's, when I was a keyboard only player, and it at least a decade before I would hear of anyone actually finishing either Doom1 or 2 on nightmare. I was so blown away when I watched a youtube video of someone finishing Doom2. On. Nightmare. I had never ever got past level 3, and usually not level 2. And I was far and away the best doomer among all my friends.

So I guess I have always had this mental block that nightmare mode was impossible.

But over the last week I have been playing on nightmare, and have actually made it through the first 8 levels of Doom2. Level 9 is presenting... some challenges, shall we say.

The only rule I have set for myself is that I want to do the levels in a single run - no saves mid-level.

It is actually a lot of fun. And having got past the mental block that Nightmare is impossible, I am kinda pleased with how far I have progressed too.

In my experience playing Doom 2 Nightmare on coop, even with multiple players, The Pit is usually the ragequit map.

Maps 12 through 19 are awesome though.

It's 2019 now to see if anyone completed the classic DOOM 1 and 2. :P

I've only beat E1 of the original Doom on Nightmare.  It's not hard in my eyes, it's just not fun because you basically have to speedrun all the maps. 

I think I got thru a couple E1 levels (via XBL) never with PC/Delta Touch but sounds interesting, I wouldn't mind having my ass handed to me, screaming while rage quitting "yeah, I got an idea from the Deep for you" lol 

6 hours ago, LadyVader1138 said:

I got through E1M1...with little health left so I went "screw it"

Pretty much this. Respawning killed it.

Just the first episode of Doom I think, which I did only using keyboard.  Not that much fun to be honest.

Never liked Nightmare in classic Doom. I did finish Doom 2016 six or more times on Nightmare and twice on Ultra Nightmare. That was more fun.

I don't always play Doom on Nightmare difficulty, but when I do, I always end up throwing my laptop across the goddamn room.

I've completed Classic Doom 1 on Nightmare, not that hard. NExt one would be Thy flehsh but I have now better things to do than collecting achievements to boast for people. Usually boasters are anyway the weakest player of the bunch, like my so called friend in ninetees "I've completed quake shareware on hard!" And I managed to invent for him that you need to push those buttons and electrify that monster, but never received the credit for it haha. There are friends, ant there are "friends"

I know that on Nightmare the enemies and projectiles move faster, but when it comes to the hitscanners, I'm convinced that the RNG for the hitscan attack is messed with because they never seem to miss. 

I tried nightmare decades ago, but it ended so unfun with the respawning that i never played it again.

And so many years later i learned that by modding you could customise the difficulty levels, so you could actually benefit from a nightmare increased monster projectiles + nightmare specific spawning but without that annoying respawn.

just create a text file, copy paste what is in quotes

save, the rename the "whatevername.txt" file into "mapinfo" (without a .txt in the end) , zip it and renamed whatevername.zip into whatevername.pk3

load that pk3 with zandronum or gzdoom and enjoy the additional difficulty level  "ULTRA-VIOLENCE FAST" and "NIGHTMARE NO RESPAWN", it's harder than regular Ultra Violence and a lot more fun than the default nightmare.

clearskills

skill 1
    {
        AutoUseHealth
        AmmoFactor = 2
        DamageFactor = 0.5
        EasyBossBrain
        SpawnFilter = Baby
        PicName = "M_JKILL"
        Name = "$SKILL_BABY"
    }

skill 2
    {
        EasyBossBrain
        SpawnFilter = Easy
        PicName = "M_ROUGH"
        Name = "$SKILL_EASY"
    }

skill 3
    {
        SpawnFilter = Normal
        PicName = "M_HURT"
        Name = "$SKILL_NORMAL"
        DefaultSkill
    }

skill 4
    {
        SpawnFilter = Hard
        PicName = "M_ULTRA"
        Name = "$SKILL_HARD"
    }

skill 5
    {
        SpawnFilter = Hard
        FastMonsters
        Name = "ULTRA-VIOLENCE FAST"
    }

skill 6
    {
        AmmoFactor = 2
        FastMonsters
        DisableCheats
        SpawnFilter = Nightmare
        Name = "NIGHTMARE NO RESPAWN"
    }

skill 7
    {
        AmmoFactor = 2
        FastMonsters
        DisableCheats
        RespawnTime = 12
        SpawnFilter = Nightmare
        PicName = "M_NMARE"
        Name = "$SKILL_NIGHTMARE"
        MustConfirm
    }

Edited by Fizanko : damn forum auto formatting

i finished episode 1 and 2... but its more a speedrun picking guns and kill monsters only when are in your way...

On 6/20/2019 at 12:59 PM, Fizanko said:

I tried nightmare decades ago, but it ended so unfun with the respawning that i never played it again.

And so many years later i learned that by modding you could customise the difficulty levels, so you could actually benefit from a nightmare increased monster projectiles + nightmare specific spawning but without that annoying respawn.

Reveal hidden contents

just create a text file, copy paste what is in quotes

save, the rename the "whatevername.txt" file into "mapinfo" (without a .txt in the end) , zip it and renamed whatevername.zip into whatevername.pk3

load that pk3 with zandronum or gzdoom and enjoy the additional difficulty level  "ULTRA-VIOLENCE FAST" and "NIGHTMARE NO RESPAWN", it's harder than regular Ultra Violence and a lot more fun than the default nightmare.

You can just use the -fast or -respawn launch parameters on any sourceport to get the respective component on any difficulty. Respawning monsters on ITYTD in Crispy Doom? No problem!

I dont like how -fast works in doom actually. It makes the projectiles faster, which is cool, but enemies turn into turrets that barely move if they have line of sight with you, which is just annoying. Enemy reaction time is increased too, which makes shotgunners and chaingunners incredibly obnoxious. I like -fast a lot better in heretic.

Just got done with E2 on Nightmare for first time.  Beat it with no deaths shockingly in one go.  Maser is right in that you have to speedrun it and it's not very fun because of that.