Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chubzdoomer

If Doom was done today (Part 2)

(Read about Part 1 here!)

As military shooter franchises like Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, and Battlefield have taken the gaming industry and first-person shooter genre by storm, we've seen the emergence of such features as linear levels, cutscenes and constant interruptions, regenerating health, and even QTEs (quick time events) in our games. These mechanics and the games that "pioneered" them are exactly what Call of Dooty II: Green Ops is meant to parody. In the original game, Call of Dooty, I took the legendary E1M1, Hangar, and butchered it with a modern twist. This time, I've given E1M2, Nuclear Plant, the same treatment and even taken it a step further with brand new features like achievements and a bloody screen effect when hurt.

Standard Edition

• Digital copy of Call of Dooty II: Green Ops (Requires Doom II to play)
Limited Edition
  • Standard Edition content plus...
  • Digital copy of the original Call of Dooty (Requires (Ultimate) Doom to play)
  • E1M1/E1M2 before/after gallery
Special Edition
  • Limited Edition content plus...
  • Official Soundtrack
  • Ringtones
  • Achievement icons
Collector's Edition
  • Special Edition content plus...
  • Green Ops Marine papercraft
  • "The Making of Call of Dooty II: Green Ops" document
  • "Green Ops Armor" DLC
If you would like to see the WAD in action before downloading, please check out this walkthrough video.

Some of you might also ask, "Will there be a Call of Dooty III?" Yes, but only if Activision announces another Call of Duty title. (Come on, you know it's inevitable!) If I do create another one, it will be based on E1M3, Toxin Refinery. I'm trying to follow the levels in order and if I have to, I'll complete the entire first episode of Doom in this style over the next several years. I hope that some of you get a kick out of this and if you have any suggestions for the next one, please do let me know! Thank you for your time and interest.

Alwaysdoomed said:

Pretty funny wad you got here.

Only problem i see with this wad is its too short!!

I apologize about the length of it. Unfortunately, there's only so much you can do with some of the first few levels! Once I make my way to the more complex levels and start cutting them apart, I'm sure I'll be able to create longer experiences. Thankfully, though, I did include some extra content both in and outside of the WAD. There's even a secret in the main menu room! *Hint hint*

I think there's some sort of glitch. After the second scene with the keycards in MAP03 the game seems to auto-exit. Thought you might want to address that.

E1M1 was tough to top, but you did it. That was ridiculously fun to watch. Great job. :)

Obsidian said:

I think there's some sort of glitch. After the second scene with the keycards in MAP03 the game seems to auto-exit. Thought you might want to address that.

What source port are you using? I've never had that happen before.

chubz said:

What source port are you using? I've never had that happen before.

ZDoom with the standard edition.

Sorry guys, I meant to say in my original post that GZDoom is recommended for this WAD. Due to the way that ZDoom handles fog and distorts the view when you look up/down, it makes the entire project look rather terrible. There might be other issues, too, like the one Obsidian mentioned. You'll definitely want to play this with GZDoom if you can because I didn't test it extensively with ZDoom.

Wish I can use Brutal Doom with this but don't want to edit a GZDoom copy of the mod to run with it.

Awesome stuff! Wasn't expecting to see another of these :)

Mr. Chris said:

Wish I can use Brutal Doom with this but don't want to edit a GZDoom copy of the mod to run with it.

I can't help but feel you may have missed the point.

heh, neat. I always felt the first one was something of a cash in on the Quake done today thing, but this was better. :)

Mr. Chris said:

heh, wow. The irony.

Pretty hilarious, but i think you missed an excellent opportunity with the zigzag above the acid near the end. I think you should have added those red arrow objective markers to every corner (not at the same time of course), so that they guide the players who might not understand the concept of walking in different directions being required.

Or just make an invisible wall so it's impossible to fall into the sludge.

Even better, combine those two ideas :D

No, the next version shall not contain the previous entirely: the fanboy MUST buy all the boxes if he wants all the stuff.

There is a major flaw with this WAD: there is a good reason for it existing.

EDIT: And there's not nearly enough different special editions...

There's another major flaw: I was waiting for "Press 'E' to chug beer" in the walkthrough video after the shooting range. Please tell me you included this in the game. I want my deeply interesting socialization simulator that comes standard with all modern FPSes.

E1M3 will need a car chase or some vehicle-based pursuit of sorts. Dunno how you can execute that though.

Here are some ideas for another one:
- you approach a barricade with a stationary weapon with unlimited ammo behind it. After you spot it, you must approach it asap or an unknown sniper will kill you for some weird reason. When you're using the stationary gun, you cannot move and you must shoot enemies continously for some amount of time.
- one of hellspawn betrays his team, joins you and wants to lead you to hellspawn's Very Importrant Whatever. On the next level you must protect him because he's a retard and can't fight and when he dies, mission is failed. At the end, there's no sight of V.I.W., but you have no time to be puzzled as your now ex-teammate prods you in the back, sending you unconscious.

Spoiler

because he's a double agent.

- after that, you're waking up in enemy's prison on Deimos. Then prison guard (zombieman?) will enter your cell and you'll have to kill him with your bare fists (unless they'll be replaced with something more sensible like an Elite Army Knife held in weird position) to acquire the pistol and the prison key.
-develop something fresh and interesting. Like planting bombs or rescuing hostages... or disarming bombs...
As somebody once said: be as creative as only mapper from 2012 could be!

Eris Falling said:

Hey, chubz, did you ever make the Explosives DLC for E1M1?

I sure didn't. Dang, that would've been awesome though.

chubz said:

I sure didn't. Dang, that would've been awesome though.

It's not too late, just include it with the Fanboy Edition of Modern Doomfare.

You know there is a problem with games today when all you play is classic Doom and GTA San Andreas. The real spirit of gaming does not lie with commercialized non-sense that gamers get shoved down their throat these days by gaming companies but with the user and how they wish to modify the environment in which they and other gamers can play. Modern games could careless about this concept since it doesn't make them money directly now I know why I have not bought any new games since GTA4 (which was a disappointment) there is still a lifetime of opportunity between Doom and San Andreas Multiplayer.

Here is a list of achievements:

— Gee, you’ve found a secret!
— Omagad, you killed an imp with the pistol!
— Ouch, you finished a level with 1 HP.

ducon said:

— Ouch, you finished a level with 1 HP.

This is actually impossible in this sort of setting since your health regenerates so quickly that you blink and your health is back to max.

@Pottus: I feel the same way, man. Look on the /v/ recommended games wiki for inspiration. I'm about to hold a LAN party and I downloaded like three games off of it that look extremely promising.

I don't even play games that cost money anymore for the most part. Indie freeware developers are making the best games right now.

I love how you get achievements for doing basically nothing, Soo funny.
I really like this wad eventhough its short. The humor actually makes playing this fun and makes you hunger for a sequel.
I hope you decide to continue the story and make another sequel to this wad.

@pottus Ya now gaming company's play the numbers game, which basically means even if they make a fucking shitty ass dreadful game but hype it up on commercials so people think its good, they will make enough money with the one time sales alone that they can afford to make another shitty game. Basically what makes money is making a game that has like 2 days through a few weeks of gameplay then the players will never touch it again. Basically since the players wont be hooked to the game they will be looking for a new game to play.

The only way to fix this is if everyone that buys these crappy games will stop buying them which will teach gaming companies that they actually have to make a good game that will last for years to come, if they want people to buy their products.

Pottus said:

You know there is a problem with games today when all you play is classic Doom and GTA San Andreas. The real spirit of gaming does not lie with commercialized non-sense that gamers get shoved down their throat these days by gaming companies but with the user and how they wish to modify the environment in which they and other gamers can play. Modern games could careless about this concept since it doesn't make them money directly now I know why I have not bought any new games since GTA4 (which was a disappointment) there is still a lifetime of opportunity between Doom and San Andreas Multiplayer.

I wouldn't say ALL modern games are incompetent though. The first BioShock is still arguably the best game of the 2000's if you ask me.

I'm all for singleplayer games. Multiplayer games bore me, and I usually don't feel like measuring my skills with random people on the internet.

But I digress. :)