Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reinchard666

Reinchards high resolution textures and sprites - demo available

My vote goes to #4 for the light flat.

Also brown144 looks great, but I agree maybe a little too much green to look like the original.

Much better.

BROWN144 has always been a bit of an odd texture IMO because of its poor vertical tiling but I'd say that you've got it about right.

True but...

It's not much better in the original.

Perhaps the long dark vertical mark could be made less obvious though.

Version I'm post above is not tiled yet, but as Enjay say - this is really odd texture. I'm not satisfied with the color - my texture have too much different feeling when I look at it in game. Original one is simply copy-paste work and this is main problem with high resolution version.

I decide to upload first demo of my textures. This file contain all textures and flats for E1M1 Hangar and few textures from other E1 levels. There are some textures that I don't show on this forum and there is some placeholders and unfinished ones (I don't have much time for now, so I decide to share this in that form). Play with it and give me some constructive criticism.

E1M1 textures pack demo:
http://www.filedropper.com/rtextures

Just unzip the textures and flats folders to your JDoom or GZDoom directory.

Note that it is unnecessary to actually unzip them to the Doomsday folder (which is bad practice). Doomsday can load them just fine from within the .zip

Reinchard666 said:

Just unzip the textures and flats folders to your JDoom or GZDoom directory.

Is that GZDoom specifically or does normal ZDoom work?

Here’s my extremely critical opinion on each of the wall textures in the Demo release, looking at both the PNG's and also viewing them in game in Doomsday.

They are all very good, but I'm going to be extremely critical rather than simply saying 'this is cool' or 'this sucks', as I believe that is what you want from this Demo release.

Textures I've just put an 'X' next to, I think look ‘perfect’.

BIGDOOR2: Lot's more 'depth' and very strong shadows on this, relative to other textures.
BIGDOOR3: Lot's more 'depth' and very strong shadows on this, relative to other textures.
BRNBIGC-CK: Can a bit more 'depth' be added to the holes?
BRNBIGL-CK: Can a bit more 'depth' be added to the holes?
BRNBIGR: Can a bit more 'depth' be added to the holes?
BRNPOIS2: X
BROWN1: Looks washed out and a bit too bright.
BROWN96 : X
BROWN144: A bit bright?
BROWNGRN: X
COMPBLUE: The background and blue wires each look fine by themselves, but don't really blend together.
COMPSPAN: The gaps between each panel are too big.
COMPTALL: The gaps between each panel are too big.
COMPTILE: The grey bits don't blend with the blue bits and are a different shade of grey to the other 'COMPXX' textures.
COMPUTE2: The gaps between each panel are too big.
COMPUTE3: The gaps between each panel are too big.
DOOR3: X
DOORSTOP: Gaps between each 'pole' are larger than the original texture? There were next to no gaps between each 'pole' in the original texture? No top border. Many mappers use that border when they use this texture.
DOORTRAK: Too Bright?
EXITDOOR: Looks 'washed out'.
EXITSIGN: The grey is a bit too bright relative to the original texture. Right side unfinished. Not sold on the curved corners due to the square-ness of the Doom world.
LITE3: X
LITE4:Those shapes behind the large bottom light look very crude; I think they need to be completely redone or removed.
LITE5: X
LITEBLUE4: X
NUKE24: This texture always was a brighter green than the NUKAGE1-3 flats but given that your hi-res NUKAGE1-3 flats are darker than the originals, this stands out even more with your hi-res version.
PLANET1: X
SHAWN2: X
SKSNAKE2: Clearly unfinished. Though as a suggestion the scale is considerably bigger than the original texture.
SKY1: Taken from DHTP.
SLADPOIS: X
SLADRIP1-3: X
SLADWALL: X
STARG1: X
STARG3: X
STARGR1: X
STARGR2: X
STARTAN1: X
STARTAN2: Looks fine, but not sold on bullet holes (they don't seem 'generic' enough when the texture is used all over the place).
STARTAN3: X
STEP1: Light edges don't blend into rest of step well.
STEP6: The cracks don't look natural and are a bit too 'fine' in game.
STONE2: A bit too 'chalky' in appearance. Gaps between each stone need to be allot darker as currently
they make the bricks look like bathroom tiles.
STONE3: A bit too 'chalky' in appearance. Gaps between each stone need to be allot darker as currently
they make the bricks look like bathroom tiles. Moss looks a bit like spilled paint.
SUPPORT2: Too rusted/dirty.
TEKWALL1: Too dark to make out all the detail?
TEKWALL3: Too dark to make out all the detail?
TEKWALL4: Looks 'washed out'. The 'texture' looks a bit chalky, rather than metal.

SWITCHES; Focus is on the switches themselves, as I gave my opinion of the background textures above.

SW1-2BRCOM + SW1-2STON + SW1-2STRTN + SW1-2COMM + SW1-2DIRT:: Not sure about adding scratches and dirt to
this one, when the original was shiny. It particularly stands out against the shiny background texture of SW1-2COMM.
SW1-2BRN1 + SW1-2BROWN + SW1-2STARG: The shine on the switch is too strong.
SW1-2BRNGN: The border at the top of the switch is too thin compared to the other sides.
SW1-2COMP: The button looks a tiny little bit pasted over the top rather than part of the switch.
SW1-2SLAD + SW1-2STON2: Not sure the red light is bright enough.

Thanks for review, I will take this into account in next release.
What do you think of this version of stone texture? Here next to the original based one, so you have good comparison:

Too rough?

Of course this is not final version.

And here is new exit sign:

The intriguing thing about STONE, is working out what that middle brighter section is; worn metal bracing, a narrow block of concrete seperating two larger blocks etc etc.

Certinally, one can see that some of the marks in the larger blocks, go over the middle bit and vice versa, in the original.

Nice.

I think the thin horizontal strips in STONE could possibly have their contrast toned down a bit, leaning slightly closer to their gray parts than their whiter parts.

It also might be worth trying a very small bevel on the two thick stone bars, to give some subtle depth around the horizontal strips separating them. In the original texture they look kind of unrealistically pasted-on, and you might be able to improve upon that with something small enough that it's effectively unnoticeable when viewed at the original resolution.

Nice to see STONE actually looking like real stone. I like the new version but a very slight pinkish hint seems to have appeared in the last edit in some places. Intentional? I think it detracts from the looks-like-the-originalness of it.

Enjay said:

Nice to see STONE actually looking like real stone. I like the new version but a very slight pinkish hint seems to have appeared in the last edit in some places. Intentional? I think it detracts from the looks-like-the-originalness of it.

I haven't noticed it. Nothin a little monochrome filter probably couldn't fix, though.

What do you think about hiring a mapper to make a map pack specially made with your textures in mind when you finish this? Your textures are very good and I love them but I think they really accentuate the squareness of the original maps so I think a WAD made specifically with your textures in mind would do this project a lot of justice. I am still a novice mapper so I don't think I'm up for it but I thought I should share this idea with you.

Flynn Taggart said:

I haven't noticed it. Nothin a little monochrome filter probably couldn't fix, though.

Yes, I'm sure that it would be easy enough to fix.

Even though saving it as a gif will have lost something, I think this should show where the pinkish areas are:

I really don't like how blurry this texture is. So I decide to add some texture on it. Here's another two propositions:

1:

2:

I'll try to work on those brown places between the hexagons, because in that form they look unnatural.

Reinchard666 said:

I really don't like how blurry this texture is. So I decide to add some texture on it. Here's another two propositions:

(one)
(two)

I'll try to work on those brown places between the hexagons, because in that form they look unnatural.

I think in this case, the second one is better. The scraping on it looks more realistic.

Eris Falling said:

I think in this case, the second one is better. The scraping on it looks more realistic.

Especially when you consider looking at it from all angles.

I checked out the "demo" yesterday and forgot to post my thoughts. Overall it's definitely the best high res texture pack for Doom so far. Only a few things I didn't like:

The texture of the nukeage just looks like thick moss in-game, and the animation isn't very smooth. It'd probably be best to do this one closer to the original, but maybe keep the nicest of those three for people who might want to use one of them and put a warp effect on it.
STEP1 (linedef version): Needs a complete overhaul, don't like this one at all. The fake light does not look natural at all.

There is quite a lot of pink/purple around the green bits on the texture. Intended or a result of colour blindness?