Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
princetontiger

The Best Mac OS X Port?

Hi Everyone,

I want to get this on the record for people playing doom on a Mac...

The three ports I've used are Chocolate Doom, PrBoom, and ZDoom.

I feel Chocolate Doom is the best, as it allows command line features. But, I guess it depends what people want to play.

PrBoom is handy, but you can't choose the level you want.

Why can't you load certain levels?

If the levels you can't load fail because they consist of multiple files, you have some features at your disposal that may let you workaround the Mac UI's serious limitations.

Option #1: bundle everything in a zip. If a certain loading order is needed, you can prefix each file with a number to give them an alphabetical sorting. E.g., if you have loadfirst.wad and loadafter.wad, you can name them 1_loadfirst.wad and 2_loadafter.wad in the zip. Then load the zip in ZDoom.

Option #2: create a small wad files which contains only a GAMEINFO lump. Use the LOAD instruction to tell ZDoom to load the given files in the given order.

Gez, it should be easy

I don't want to go through all that every time I want to play a wad.

PrBoom is super easy, but I'm not sure how to select levels.

It seems that it's getting tough to play doom now that I'm on a mac...
It's not like normal games where I can just pop and play..

GAMECEPTION on iPHONE is very easy... that's where I play most of my doom. It just "works"

Did you try something like this (at shell prompt):

prboom -file icarus.wad -warp 11

And inside the game, you can also use the "cheat code" IDCLEVxy, where xy = map number (in DOOM II) or ExMy (in DOOM).

princetontiger said:

PrBoom has no shell prompt/console on Mac

Nobody is preventing you from opening a terminal window and launching it with a prboom + options command.

Also, if you want to try something different that works on a Mac (also to do me some playtesting) you could try Mocha Doom (yup, shameless self-plug, I know... but it IS yet another way to play on a Mac ;-)

Odamex allows you to change wads on the fly through the console. Just tell odamex where your wads are located via the "waddirs" command and you can switch between whatever you want without restarting.

Examples:
wad doom2.wad
wad doom2.wad av.wad av.deh
wad doom.wad
wad doom.wad dtwid.wad
wad tnt.wad
wad plutonia.wad pl2.wad

Doomsday is also available for the Mac (and actively developed on one too) and also features dynamic map loading from the in-game console.

I have tried to run Skulltag on my Mac OS X, but it won't run any wads. Instead, it automatically closes upon start up. I've tried a lot to get it to work but it just won't. So don't use Skulltag on the OS X because it does not work.

Netherstorm said:

I have tried to run Skulltag on my Mac OS X, but it won't run any wads. Instead, it automatically closes upon start up. I've tried a lot to get it to work but it just won't. So don't use Skulltag on the OS X because it does not work.

Haha man... the same thing happens.

PrBoom is my favorite... now that I know the IDCLEVXX cheat, that's all I really need.