• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darsycho

Unhinged [Finished]

Oh my god.

I have barely played long at all and

Spoiler

have yet to encounter any monsters... except I saw a terrifying face silently jumping just beyond a vertical crack. I was so terrified I punched it to death rather than let it escape from some trap later... and was that shotgun guy's body there when I first walked in?? I HAVE NO IDEA OH GOD. And doomguyspider standing silently staring out the window of a room I DONT WANT TO GO IN THAT ROOM I HAVE SO LITTLE AMMO.

Edit: I died because I ran out of ammo from FIRING BLINDLY JUST TO BE ABLE TO SEE BRIEFLY IN THE MUZZLE FLASH. Also firing wildly every time I-AHUEHUEHUEHUE AHUEHUEHUEHUE AHUEHUEHUEHUE AHUEHUEHUEHUE

at first i thought you forgot to put monsters in till i entered that one room and heard a laugh then i myself laughed because i saw a doomguys head on a spider LoL. After that laugh the map wasnt scary anymore.

Other than that you should of kept the map style to how the map was at the beginning with no monsters. The hellish part was just silly, though the rising souls was a cool effect.

Those small monsters including the arachdoomguy monster were just annoying and you waste so many shots just trying to actually hit them.

Once i got to the part with a "certain" someones head jumping across the floor i gave up because i wasted like 12 doubleshotgun shells just for it to die from 2 pellets.....

Overall good halloween wad, i suggest everyone should atleast give it a try.

Played up until I opened the yellow key door. The spiders scared me enough as it was, but whatever the hell that thing was in the yellow key door? Fuck that. I'm trying again when it's not late at night.

How is this spooky?
It's more disorienting than anything else.

Also, all these faces are just silly. Face monsters? Face walls? It wouldn't be so bad but they all have this shit-eating grin.

The mancubus spiders and pinky torsos were cool, as were the hanging dead guys, but the face monsters totally just ruin the whole setting.

Is this supposed to be scary, or funny? I can't tell.

The physical shape of the architecture was pretty interesting throughout (however in my opinion the faces everywhere is just silly to me).
My favorite part was the part up until the first enemy appeared.

I have to agree with the previous guy, however impressive most of the spritework or however interesting the premise, the silly photographed faces kind of ruin it. I couldn't stop thinking the story behind this was that this guy had a single very obnoxious friend who was constantly making stupid faces at him, so he snapped and went on a murderous rampage. I'm guessing it's meant to be something like that, but with everybody/all the people instead of one annoying friend, and laughing/mocking instead of face-making? :)

Also, somebody else should make another creepy zdoom wad using the "Un --- ed" naming scheme, after this and unloved. Maybe "unsettled", where a guy is seeing creepy stuff just out of the corner of his eye because he's paranoid or schizo (but nothing really happens), or "unappreciated" where all the monsters just stand there and never attack the hero, who feels ignored and is pissed about it, taking the most drastic measures to get people to notice him: shoot them with guns. Or "undernourished"... or, or, or "unparalleled"... Um..

It's, um, different.

Got up to the YK door after some 10 - 15 minutes or so, then got eaten or something by whatever that fucking Tremors-inspired head in the floor is. Could do with some work to be honest; the map looks fine with a very nice attention to detail (without going overboard), but the gameplay suffers with all those shitty spiders and eyeballs around nearly every corner. Dealing with them becomes incredibly repetitive and frustrating when ammo for doing so is relatively uncommon.

And then there's all that other stuff.

*sigh*

Gimmicky 'Facemonster' WADs are okay in short bursts, but this one just goes on for way too long to stay enjoyable. I don't think I'd even made it 1/4 of the way through the map judging by the remaining monster count, and to be honest I don't think I can be bothered to try it again. It'd probably make a great stand-alone map with a more 'conventional' approach to gameplay, but with this current approach it's really not my sort of thing.

I just noclipped with light amplification goggles on to see what was beyond where I stopped and I couldn't stop laughing, hahaha. Perfect.

Finished.

New Difficulty - insane mode alters the level by different monster and item placements, new monsters, new areas, and some areas sealed off.

Other stuff:
Lunatics are now much easier to kill, blue key doors now stay open, some mistakes fixed, and some areas are longer.

http://www.mediafire.com/?rn8vb360q09bjpa

Wait a minute...are you jackthemaster101 on Youtube? :D

Anyway, the map looks fantastic, and the gameplay is surprisingly balanced =)

Katamori said:

Wait a minute...are you jackthemaster101 on Youtube? :D

Anyway, the map looks fantastic, and the gameplay is surprisingly balanced =)

Why yes indeed I am jackthemaster101 my good sir! :P

I played easy mode on the WAD and I might try out insane mode someday. It's a silly yet playable WAD and I had fun playing it. Gotta love Jack101's craziness!