Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snakes

Doomworld "Secret Santa" Project - SECOND MAP POSTED

I'm a little preoccupied over here - probably won't be getting much mapping done at all. :(

Bear with me for a month or so and I'll have something started fairly soon after that. I have a layout and a theme planned already, so it shouldn't take me too long.

Well, based on the responses thus far, I'm considering dropping the notion of a 'solid' deadline. Sort of a "Would you kindly send me your map as soon as possible?" attitude is adaptable here. That way I can just post them as they come (but stick to one map at a time for the sake of analysis), starting with Dutch's.

I'll try and re-play DD's map this evening and make any comments in regards to the style/gameplay that are necessary, though he did a pretty darn good job with his :)

So those who aren't going to make the September 30 deadline (possibly myself included), there's still going to be time for you yet. Everyone else: sally forth!

I haven't touched my map in quite some time. I just feel burnt out on Doom modding lately. If it does come down to it, I have one room basically finished.

Finished! Well, with the exception of some external testing, and difficulty settings (I usually wait for the testing before I go any further), but nevertheless the hard bit's over..

Now I am free(ish)!

Why not set the deadline to November 30-ish, and then we "exchange gifts" on December 10th? Or Christmas?

Mista_T said:

Why not set the deadline to November 30-ish, and then we "exchange gifts" on December 10th? Or Christmas?

Or perhaps, we could make it a gradual thing. Say, keep the initial deadline of September 30th, then release whichever's been done one by one after that 'deadline'. This might whet the appetite of others and motivate them to map? Sorta like the rabbit and the greyhounds (yes, I'm saying you're all filthy canines). And make November 30th the absolute deadline?

I mean the thought of my map kept in the dark until the 30th of November seems kinda too long, heh. Nevertheless, either way's fine.

I've been leaning towards the gradual release approach over the past couple of weeks and feel like that's the best way to go about it. We're still only at 2 maps submitted, and that's not even with testing (AFAIK - I tested Dutch Devil's map but totally flubbed on sending the report for various reasons, but mostly stupidity. Haven't heard from others).

So yeah, send them as they come, but sooner than later :)

Welp, here we are and the progress hasn't changed at all. I'm going to send notes for the completed maps this week, though I think they both did a solid job and won't require many changes. I've only heard back from one tester for either mapper so far, so I'm going to go ahead and state this:

-Please send me your playtesting notes, I will forward them to the mapper from there.
-You have two weeks after a map's completed to test. Fail to follow through on this three times, I'll find a new tester.

The first map will be posted in this thread in October. Then the fun begins.

NEW DEADLINE FOR MAP COMPLETION: NOVEMBER 30. Smack-dab near the start of holiday season, so it makes sense to me to shift this until then. I underestimated the challenges this project presented, and the initial deadline was unrealistic. I'd like to have at least ten of the maps done by this date so we can get the ball rolling, so to speak.

If it's okay by you guys, I'd like to hear how things are coming along, so I think a status check should be implemented on October 31.

If anyone has objections, please let me know.

I won't be getting anything done for this now. I've been incapable of bringing myself to map for quite a while and even fresh or interesting challenges haven't helped. Sorry everybody!

D: No problems. I haven't heard from a good deal of participants in nearly 2 or more months. So, seeing as it's the end of the month, it's high time I ask how everyone's map is coming along...

So yeah. How're your maps coming along?

I think we're all at that point. For the record, I've heard, or seen work, from the following people:

Grain of Salt
gemini09
sgt dopey
fiend-o-hell
Joshy
Dutch Devil

So if everyone else could drop a line, that would really help me get a better grip on how this is doing. There's enough current updates that make it seem like we'll at least have a few maps by Nov 30th, so we're okay on that front.

Everyone else, please let me know how you're doing no later than Monday. I'll send a PM otherwise, and we all know how scary and intimidating those can be! :P

I haven't done much work since last post, but it will only take a day or two to get the rest of my map done (it will only be a few mins long). Just got so many other things going on right now so finding that time will be a little bit tricky.

no progress at all, sorry, I'll never sign up to community projects again (unless I already have the map done) since I'm so unreliable

I'm kind of delayed as I've been without power since Hurricane Sandy hit.

Really, I was going to work on it! I know what I'm going to do, though.

so, i've almost finished my map, there's just a thing that i don't understand how it could be done, and fixing few other stuff, and one map is finished, wow!

I PM'd Snakes a couple of screenshots of my map, as well as the left ear of my imatatee.

I've been under loads of work lately, but I have a small break this week for thanksgiving, and I plan on taking advantage of some of the free time to make progress by leaps and bounds on the map for this project as well as my map for TNT 2.

I've finally made a start on my map. I'm hoping to get it finished within the next few coming days.

I've started on my map and should be finished-ish next week. It's not going to be easy - my subject takes me significantly out of my comfort zone.

That's both good and bad, though. We'll see how it turns out.