Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom 4 should have...

Touchdown said:

I've heard the patch for BFG Edtition will include a FoV slider amongst other things. Maybe id will recognize that fact and include it in DOOM 4 right away.

This is the problem with people these days. They believe everything they hear.

There has been no announcement of a patch for D3: BFG.

Jet1337 said:

Except that there HAS been. Brian Harris announced id was making a patch on Twitter.

Jet1337 said:

This is the problem with people these days. They believe everything they hear.

You're right. No patch at all. Not even a word from John Carmack about a patch. And certainly no pictures to back it up.

Agentbromsnor said:

Doom 4 should have some kind of editor I think. Don't know why Carmack hasn't released any type of editor for RAGE either...

Because there is. It, however, needs a 64bit environment. The 64bit build is still in QA, which was also held back by the development of Doom3 BFG.

OK, In all serious DOOM 4 should have an enviroment like DOOM 64's or DOOM for the Playstation 1. Ambient music, colored lighting, advanced technology, innovative gameplay, and fast-paced action. Also, give it a survival-horror feel but also an old-school shooter feel. Like a mixture of the two... :D

idSoftware981 said:

OK, In all serious DOOM 4 should have an enviroment like DOOM 64's or DOOM for the Playstation 1. Ambient music, colored lighting, advanced technology, innovative gameplay, and fast-paced action. Also, give it a survival-horror feel but also an old-school shooter feel. Like a mixture of the two... :D

Yes, definitely. IMO, Doom 4 should have scarier moments than Doom 3.

idSoftware981 said:

OK, In all serious

In all serious, we've already established that you want Doom 4 to be a bunch of random things, several of which contradict themselves. Can't you bring anything new to the discussion?

idSoftware981 said:

Yes, I can bring something new to the discussion. Atmosphere. Atmosphere should be essential to DOOM 4.

THAT'S NOT NEW!!

While I'm sure it's been discussed before, here's the DOOM 4 logo in the highest res I've been able to find (it's long gone from the source). Most likely a placeholder/not the final version. I've heard a lot of criticism but I really like it, it's not your typical all-tech DOOM logo and for what it's worth, it says "Hell on Earth" very clearly.

I agree, I absolutely love that logo. Too bad it's likely not going to be associated with the final product, much like the fate of the placeholder Doom 3 logo.

Ah yes, too bad they ditched it. Hope they keep the D4 logo as it is, cause it looks badass. Makes me want to play the game before even seeing it.

I think it looks incredible. Seriously, what's wrong with it?

Btw, do you think Id are finally going to reveal Doom 4 this year?

I'm sceptical, complete blackout means nothing is certain (we've entered the sixth year of waiting for a Half-Life follow-up, you get the picture).

Everything seems to go in the right direction. RAGE is out the door, BFG Edtion aka 'pre-DOOM 4 reminder of the DOOM franchise' is out the door, all other developments at id are on hold because of DOOM 4 (RAGE 2, mobile, maybe even RAGE DLC) and everyone at the company is working on it. Seems like they want to get it out sooner than later (otherwise they would not have ceased all other projects to get people to work on DOOM) and finally, we're well past the 4 year mark of the development. 2013 might be the year, at least of the unveiling.

Than again, waiting for games like the aforementioned HL that shouldn't take that long yet they do... I ain't gonna hold my breath.

DooM_RO said:

I think it looks incredible. Seriously, what's wrong with it?

Nothing. I meant we all 'went crazy' because we were so excited.

Btw, I think id is making the right call by NOT showing Doom 4. They made the mistake of continuously previewing Rage for over four years before it was released, and people got so used to seeing it that the novelty wore off. It's a good idea to keep a game as fresh as possible before release.

Caffeine Freak said:

Btw, I think id is making the right call by NOT showing Doom 4. They made the mistake of continuously previewing Rage for over four years before it was released, and people got so used to seeing it that the novelty wore off. It's a good idea to keep a game as fresh as possible before release.

Not only that, but people also thought it would be like Fallout 3 or Borderlands when in fact it is more like Bioshock.

Caffeine Freak said:

I agree, but four years and not even sketchy concept art is a bit frustrating at times.

GoatLord said:

I agree, but four years and not even sketchy concept art is a bit frustrating at times.

I think it's entirely possible nothing was done until 2010, they seemed to be very focused on RAGE. For some reason, I also get the feeling that they scrapped a lot of the game during development. Either way, I hope news will soon follow.

They've had two separate teams. RAGE was the focus but the DOOM guys were working on their own. Some people were moving back and forth between the two but that's it.

They were building team during 2008~2009 and they had 1.5 times bigger team (than Rage team) by mid 2010. So I think it's safe to say Doom 4 has been in full production for last 3 years.

If I don't see any concept art by first quarter of next year, I'm going to strangle a puppy. No, not really, but it will be annoying.

Touchdown said:

While I'm sure it's been discussed before, here's the DOOM 4 logo in the highest res I've been able to find (it's long gone from the source). Most likely a placeholder/not the final version. I've heard a lot of criticism but I really like it, it's not your typical all-tech DOOM logo and for what it's worth, it says "Hell on Earth" very clearly.

I hated this logo for the longest time, but this is the first time I've seen it as this resolution. I have to say, I really, really like it.