"Somewhere in Time": vanilla megaWAD [REVISED, SEE FIRST POST!]

Would you try it?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Would you try it?

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No

NEW THREAD: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1424802

This below is kept for historical reasons.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Download latest demo (13 levels)
Download beta (14 maps + several halfmade)

Inspired by Scythe, Reverie, Revolution!, and similar simplistic one-man projects, I make an attempt to create my own vanilla-compatible megaWAD. my primary aim is to create extraordinary maps, reaching the boundaries of gameplay, design - and Chocolate Doom! (SPOILER: the latter is not hard)

I call it "Somewhere in Time", which describes the theme very well - since there's no actual theme in common. Also, it's a reference to an album from heavy metal band Iron Maiden, which also inspire me - partially.

That's all. =)

Maplist (almost finished, finished)

MAP01: Into The Unknown
MAP02: Hidden Storage
MAP03: The Parking House
MAP04: System Shop
MAP05: Dusk
MAP06: Nukage Collector
MAP07: The Black Void
MAP08: Ghost Ship
MAP09: Sky Raid
MAP10: Wasteland Factory
MAP11: Nukepolis

MAP12: -
MAP13: Mining Tower
MAP14: Into the Beast
MAP15: Mastermind Monument
MAP16: Twilight in The Industry
MAP17: The Sleeping Factory
MAP18: Ode to November
MAP19: The Wasted Legion
MAP20: The Great Escape

MAP21: Hellbrary
MAP22: Arch of the Valkyrie
MAP23: Facility Estate
MAP24: The Fallen Stand
MAP25: The Ghost Key
MAP26: The Stephouse
MAP27: Immortalis
MAP28: The Spirit Repository
MAP29: Rise
MAP30: Persepolis
MAP31: Lords of Summer
MAP32: Pastblast

List of music:
MAP01: (not custom yet)
MAP02: (not custom yet)
MAP03: Doom OST - E2M1 ("I Sawed the Demons")
MAP04: Cyberlords Arcology OST - Track 6
MAP05: Metallica - Of Wolf And Man
MAP06: Iron Maiden - Wasted Years
MAP07: (not custom yet)
MAP08: Doom 2 OST - MAP18,27 ("Waiting for Romero to play")
MAP09: Lotus The Ultimate Challange OST - Theme Song
MAP10: (not custom yet)
MAP11: Guns'n'Roses - You Could Be Mine

MAP12: Iron Maiden - Sea of Madness
MAP13: Rise of The Triad OST - Spray (I guess)
MAP14: Metallica - The Call of Ktulu
MAP15: ?????? - ???????
MAP16: Final Doom: TNT Evilution OST - MAP20 ("Horizon")
MAP17: Iron Maiden - Heaven Can Wait
MAP18: 2002: A Doom Odyessy OST - E2M1
MAP19: (not custom yet)
MAP20: Iron Maiden - The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner

MAP21: (not custom yet)
MAP22: (not custom yet)
MAP23: Jimmy Paddock - ???
MAP24: Metallica - The God That Failed
MAP25: Iron Maiden - Stranger in a Strange Land
MAP26: Final Doom: TNT Evilution OST - MAP07 ("Agony RhapsodyS" - I guess)
MAP27: (not custom yet)
MAP28: (not custom yet)
-> maybe I don't want to change
MAP29: (not custom yet)
MAP30: Iron Maiden - Alexander the Great
MAP31: Metallica - Lords of Summer
MAP32: Iron Maiden - Deja Vu

Title: Iron Maiden - Caught Somewhere In Time
Intermission track: UNDECIDED
Text music: Doom - Ending

Playtesters:
- NoneeLlama
- Pottus
- Memfis
- grouchbag
- Plut
- dachauncinator
- joe-ilya

I'll relase it when I can finish...until then, some screenshots:

Looking good. Please stick to this idea and finish it. You've started thousands of project and just left them after some half-assed attempts. Just saying for your own best. Mapping will become much more enjoyable after you've released something, even if it kinda sucks.

dannebubinga said:

Looking good. Please stick to this idea and finish it. You've started thousands of project and just left them after some half-assed attempts. Just saying for your own best. Mapping will become much more enjoyable after you've released something, even if it kinda sucks.

Thanks! Yes, you are right, it's a typical mistake of mine...

Whats up with all those pixels? I can even tell whats going on! I'm just kidding lol it looks interesting so far and I know out of anyone either big K can pull this off without too much difficulty or gives up (My money is on he pulls it off ;) ). I don't know how you feel about new textures as mentioned by another Doomer about vanilla wads with stock textures is maps tend to be very brown. At any rate it doesn't really bother me however I think his observation has merit so if you want to avoid this I suggest adding some more themes.

Pottus said:

Whats up with all those pixels? I can even tell whats going on! I'm just kidding lol it looks interesting so far and I know out of anyone either big K can pull this off without too much difficulty or gives up (My money is on he pulls it off ;) ). I don't know how you feel about new textures as mentioned by another Doomer about vanilla wads with stock textures is maps tend to be very brown. At any rate it doesn't really bother me however I think his observation has merit so if you want to avoid this I suggest adding some more themes.

Thanks! Honestly, I don't want to add new textures. I'm quite sure that original Doom2 textures are enough to make good WADs, even though sometimes they become too brown.

I know, my shots are also very brown but it's because the style I tried to create. ("wasteland")

I was just pointing it out, it doesn't bother me at all but other people it might so as long as you keep that in mind was the basis of my suggestion.

The pictures could use some scaling down. :D Good luck man, I'm looking forward to it.

Speaking of Scythe, maybe you could get a guest mapper in for one of the secret levels. Just an idea.

Big K just wanted to ask, why vanilla? I really like mapping in vanilla mainly because maps tend to be a lot more interesting game play wise just wondering your reasons for this undertaking =)

Z86 said:

Nice looking screens.

I really like the name btw :)

Thanks! As it's written, the name is a music reference. =)

Pottus said:

Big K just wanted to ask, why vanilla? I really like mapping in vanilla mainly because maps tend to be a lot more interesting game play wise just wondering your reasons for this undertaking =)

Well, since I'm on Doomworld Forums, I played a lot of simplier WADs and I start to prefer them instead of ZDoom masterpieces. (however, I think, Stronghold: On The Edge of Chaos is still the best WAD ever ;D)

Boom- and vanilla-compatible WADs are becoming more interesting for me, because they are try to be unique with way less tools than ZDoom WADs and it looks like a kind of "challange" you know...I always wanted to make something unique and now I try it with the possibly simpliest tools.

Also, vanilla Doom WADs work on all the source ports so everyone may try them. I think it may be another reason, why Scythe became so popular. =)

But do you really want to bother with all that visplane and segs stuff? Don't you think that it just limits your possibilities? You can make simplistic maps in "limit removing" format too, and this way you wouldn't need to cope with all annoying vanilla stuff.

Memfis: you may be right... I've never dealt with visplane, segs and things like that, until yesterday, when I realised that I can't do as much detail as I want because original engine has limits.

Actually, "vanilla" means that I use stock Doom2 effects only, but it seems my maps will be bigger... =)

I approve of the mapset name Katamori, the album's great by the way. =P

Looking forward to your progress.

There is is some limitations but you end up getting a good feel for what will work and what won't typically your visplane count is going to be your limitation hitting 256 segs now and again in in certain areas with small peaks isn't too much to worry about just watch for areas where the seg count gets locked with 256+ segs opposed to sporadic peaks.

From my point of view visplane overflows are an opportunity for more interesting areas. There was a tower placed in MAP20 of Reverie because I had trouble with visplane overflows in the open area of that map. Now I feel like the tower added much more character to the level itself instead of taking views away from the scenery. That's why I think vanilla WADs are fun to make because they sometimes force me to be experimental and step outside my normal train of thought.

dannebubinga said:

You've started thousands of project...

Heh.

This is pretty good looking stuff, Katamori. It looks as though you're taking a stock-resources approach to this, which as someone who has strayed away from those in recent years, I wish you luck. And yes, please finish.

Thank you guys, these are the moments which makes mapping worth to do!

Snakes: I'm closer to make something new and unique then I've ever been...this project gonna be successfull! I have 4 finished and several almost finished maps, it already might be enough to release in case of stop.

Do you remember Shadow of the Damned? That project had only one finished maps: the first one. I retextured the whole map and I made it from Boom-compatible to Vanilla-compatible!

I think it still looks quite good. Also, I hope it will match to the WAD very well because this is way more detailed than the other finished map.

The matter is that another map is added to the set. MAP04: Dusk

PS.: I think I'm becoming hyperactive...

Hellbrary monster placement is done! I sent the WAD to NoneeLlama for playtesting. Anyone else would like to be a playtester? =)

I would play test but I don't like wasting my time reporting stuff that could be fixed in the same amount of time =)

I'll send the WAD tomorrow or maybe later. I think I'm gonna finish another one before. =)

Pottus, just play and tell me if you can see something wrong. (unbalanced gameplay etc.)