Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Baker

What keeps you coming back to Doom?

Mods and source ports. If doom was the same game now as it was in 1993 I wouldn't still be playing it.

EvilNed01 said:

Because I know exactly how many SSG blasts it takes to take down any one enemy.

Oh, and this to. :)

The information that the set of levels doesn't end with Final Doom. I WANTED MOAR!!4!

Then, I got Eternal Doom and the story has begun. :D

Phobus said:

I've never not had it on my home PC or laptop, so it's always there if I want it. Throw in the seemingly limitless number of levels online, easy-to-run ports (with lots of new features, in some cases) and it's a game for life. The fact that it's easy to make custom content for is also a giant help in keeping it fresh and interesting.

Testify, brother!

Overall piece of art... creativity, gfx, gameplay, atmosphere, technical aspects, hardware boom...

to put it in a Carmackian way - The right thing.

Because it's fun - the single most critical aspect of a computer game, yet a deceptively difficult accolade to earn.

doomfan69 said:

The shotgun.
OOOHHHH YEAAAHHHH. If only everything weapon was as satisfying in todays games.

yeah , i like the doom shotgun too

in the nowadays games the shotgun is not that good (exept for tf2 , hl,)

schwerpunk said:

Soldier of Fortune had a pretty sweet boomstick-style shotty, too, as I recall.

Totally strange but awesome game - played through it 3 times and will do so again.

-Infighting in Community
-Exploring new places in pwads
-Being able to run with speed at 41km/h while raining monsters with rockets, plasma and lead.

joe-ilya said:

yeah , i like the doom shotgun too

in the nowadays games the shotgun is not that good (exept for tf2 , hl,)

With most games today you can rarely kill more than one person at a time with their shitguns.

There's nothing quite like Doom except maybe Quake 1.

* Fun to explore maps that are less setpiece driven than modern games.
* Varied enemy selection that meshes well together and can create some interesting situations.
* It's easy as heck to make maps for, yet the skill ceiling is pretty high.
* Multiplayer is less governed by control over power items (obvious things like blue armor and megaspheres excepted, but they're usually not in popular maps).

Doom is a good mix between midevil and modern themes and doesnt require gimmicks to make it even semi entertaining. The modding community is healthy and theres always new maps to play. I cant think of another fps game that has entertained me longer than a month, but doom has kept me entertained since i was a child.

Modern fps games just arnt that interesting and i absolutely hate using modern guns except in doom. Nothing more boring than 12 weapons that do the same thing except shoot slower, faster or less accurate.