Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Format: Doom 2, Limit Removing, MAP01
download

This is a map I made with all vertices lying on the 64 grid. The difficulty is very low, I don't think anyone will die on UV. Maybe I'll make it a bit more challenging before uploading to /idgames.
STORY: Doomguy was angry because Horalky were renamed to Góralki (wtf the old name was better) so he went to their office to complain. However, 20 hours into his journey he realized that he forgot to look in Google Maps where to go. And he couldn't load them in his iPad because the damn thing wouldn't connect to the internet. Then he decided to call it day and just go home. Maybe all that stuff about names isn't that important anyway.

------------

OLD version, dl only if you want to watch demos by j4rio and Ribbiks

You know, you'll eventually have released 32 of these MAP01s and will have to compile them into a megawad. I eagerly await that day.

Very nice, ammo was pretty tight, made it to the end and then got killed by a wayward missile that decided to hit me after doing a complete orbit of the earth. Maybe could do with being a little busy, this base was a wee bit quiet.

Nice tunes, man!

Well I got killed after finding yellow key. Was low on health and got careless going back to a cleared area. Opened a door and got shotguned in the face on some stairs. Sad thing is I'm pretty sure I saw that dude on the other side of a window, far away. Didn't want to risk wasting ammo at the time though.

Nice non-linear map! Ammo is very tight. Nice use of secrets. I thought perhaps you could chuck more at the player on opening the final door.

Spoiler

Two revenants seemed a bit of anti climax.

Aarghh, looks like I did a terrible job on balancing all possible routes. Tomorrow I will work more on ammo/health placement (I didn't intend it to be tightly balanced!) and maybe I will add some monsters to make the map less empty. Thanks for the comments.

And no, I'm not Polish, I just heard about Horalky somewhere on the internet and thought that it's a cute word.

jute said:

You know, you'll eventually have released 32 of these MAP01s and will have to compile them into a megawad. I eagerly await that day.

Me too. I guess I'll (eagerly) wait for the updated version to give this one a run.

(This Horalky stuff sounds delicious.)

what the hell am i looking at?! i have to download this...

...also Horalky biscuits are a knockoff copy of the original, Tatranky. :)
edit: i expect from you to come up with a sequel with that name.

interesting map, here's a demo, 1 death, eventually completes. The first route I took was so dreadfully tight on ammo I was non-berserk punching a rev -.-

Gotta love the final fantasy tactics track during the intermission :)

update, please redownload from the first post
- added moar ammo/health
- made the final battle a bit more exciting
- replaced useless invis sphere with a rocket box
- you can now see the plasmagun from the other side of the street (so the players are less likely to miss it)
- fixed some minor stuff like non-damaging nukage

I think I'll wait a few days before uploading this to /idgames. Also, cool demos guys, thanks! :)

FDA on the updated version:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/horavdgg-fda-143x.lmp

Oh yes, I don't upload my FDAs often as they are not good.
Anyway, you can see me clueless a bit after getting 2 keys.
Played on PrBoom+, no special HUD showing kills or secrets, standard Doom2-like.

Too squarish perhaps? Why this stick-to-the-grid limitation?

Well, I was originally making this map for the Russian "Grid 64 Contest" but I couldn't finish it in time. I think it's an interesting challenge and, in a way, an artistic statement about what is more important in Doom maps (not small details). btw Eternal's entry to that contest is really great - http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16968
And nice demo.:)

I've played Eternal's Eternal Doom themed entry to this contest, which I really enjoyed it, despite its puzzling and direction-less nature. Your map looks very good, given the limitation (I quite fancy having a go at a grid-64 map myself now) - I'm having a hard time finding how to actually get the blue key and one of the secrets (I know where it is, I've just not worked out how to get there without jumping). Ammo for the weapons I'm using is relatively low, but as I've only fired about 7 rockets throughout my 16 minute play time and used no plasma yet, I'd certainly not say I'm actually low on it.

The big secret areas are a welcome change to the norm of little closets. I'll have a go at finishing it later. I too would quite like to see an episode from you (as I said in a recent map thread of yours, I believe) although this one feels big enough to stand alone.

Everytime I play a memfis map, I secretly hope he has put, say, 2 or 3 or possibly 31 other bonus maps in behind it.

But to date this hasn't happened.

Really really good map. One of the best memfis maps so far, I'd say. Great stuff.

What a wonderful map! A real joy to play. Still hunting down that elusive red key and enjoying every minute.

Ha! Just finished it, with a little ammo to spare. Found 4 of the 5 secrets, I'll definitely be making a return visit in a few days to see if I can get a clean sweep. Excellent map and great fun to play. More please!

Much as I thought, I worked out the blue key and the remaining secret very quickly when I came back to it. Just me being dumb because I was pressed for time earlier. Cool map - the ending scene looks pretty promising for whatever will be following this.

The ending scene is just you coming back home. :) I didn't want to end the level with a simple teleporter so I made this nature scene with a house and some tall tower. I also thought about adding a girl that welcomes you back or something but I was too lazy to find a good sprite.

Sectors 523 and 530 need to have their sector effect set to 0. At the moment they have damaging floors, which I am assuming they are not meant to.

And sector 233 could have its floor changed to FLOOR7_2

Thanks for the report.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Sectors 523 and 530 need to have their sector effect set to 0. At the moment they have damaging floors, which I am assuming they are not meant to.

I tried to fix this and luckily both existing UV-Max demos survived (no desyncs). I'll make an update soon.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

And sector 233 could have its floor changed to FLOOR7_2

No no, I intentionally left FLOOR7_1 here so that it would match the flat of sector 524 when lowered.

Memfis said:

No no, I intentionally left FLOOR7_1 here so that it would match the flat of sector 524 when lowered.

Aaaah. Probably should have thought to check that. I just saw a brown flat surrounded by a marble flat and made the obvious assumption. You are right of course. You don't even see that brown square when it is raised, so it was just me being pedantic in pointing it out. :)

On another note, I gotta admit, I am kinda sad that there are no memfis maps in TNT2. This map in particular would have fitted right in to that wad.

Was playing this map again today, and found a couple of secrets I hadn't found on earlier playthroughs.

Great stuff. One day I look forward to a memfis megawad of some description.