Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Keeper of Jericho

Five Rooms of Doom: (32/32) - now on idgames

Agentbromsnor said:

I was really hoping we could get maps with more engaging gameplay than slaughtermaps. I mean don't get me wrong, I still play a couple of slaughtermaps every now and then. I just think it gets really tedious to play a whole set of them if you know what I mean.

We only have 5 slaughtermaps so far, of a set that's going to be 32. I don't think that'll make this project count as a slaughter set. ;)

ForeverViLe said:

The Mutiny and Hit N Run aren't slaughter maps :D

True, but if this WAD is going to contain something like three slaughtermaps after one another, don't you think its going to break the flow?

I agree that I have no objections to hard maps, but I do not like slaughermaps. Having one or two is oke but then they should certainly be possible to complete on the first run, should not contain lame monster tricks and should be able to do under 1 hour.

Edit: hopeless grammer

Eonfge said:

I agree that I have no objections to hard maps, but I do not like slaughermaps, and having one or two is oke, they should certainly be possible to complete on the first run, should not contain lame monster tricks and should be able to do under 1 hour.

Yeah. I'd say that if the player NEEDS to keep all the monsters infighting, the map is pretty lame (at least gameplay wise).

I think I agree with agentbromsnor. I personally think a few slaughtermaps in a set of normal difficulty maps would be slightly random. Maybe not so much if its say, the last few maps, but if someone who hates slaughtermaps gets to those maps, he might just stop there. But This is just my opinion; Keeper of Jericho will decide what happens.

Olympus said:

I think I agree with agentbromsnor. I personally think a few slaughtermaps in a set of normal difficulty maps would be slightly random. Maybe not so much if its say, the last few maps, but if someone who hates slaughtermaps gets to those maps, he might just stop there. But This is just my opinion; Keeper of Jericho will decide what happens.

since all the maps can be done from pistol start, someone who don't like slaughtermaps can just skip it. also the slaughtermaps (how long word argh) that i have seen so far here aren't nearly as difficoult as some that i have found in the slaughterfest thread, even i was able to complete them (or ,at least, see the exit [not the slaughterfests one, eh,]).

i just realized that my submissions may seems like cheap slaughtermaps...

also still working occasionally on map 30; to reduce the framerate drop i have to change a lot of it, like closing some visuals, doing so will reduce the amount of actors displayed and so the memory usage. need some thinking...

Slaughter maps should belong to e3 (since e3 is used to be the hardest and kinda different than e1&e2) of course that there are exceptions like Sunder and New Gothic but I'm talking in general.

ForeverViLe said:

Slaughter maps should belong to e3 (since e3 is used to be the hardest and kinda different than e1&e2) of course that there are exceptions like Sunder and New Gothic but I'm talking in general.

But, it's not like slaughtermaps equal difficulty as slaughtermaps can be very simple to play actually. A slaughtermap is just a map with buttloads of monsters, where the only tactic is sidestrafing and gun spamming. Like Chillax. They also often use a lot of lame or unavoidable tricks, where the only way to survive is knowing every stap along the way.

I rather don't see to many maps focussing on increasingly stupid monster spam. I rather see large interesting maps with a lot of different uses of a wide monster palette and the power of all triggers we have ad our bidding.

Eonfge said:

But, it's not like slaughtermaps equal difficulty as slaughtermaps can be very simple to play actually. A slaughtermap is just a map with buttloads of monsters, where the only tactic is sidestrafing and gun spamming. Like Chillax. They also often use a lot of lame or unavoidable tricks, where the only way to survive is knowing every stap along the way.

I rather don't see to many maps focussing on increasingly stupid monster spam. I rather see large interesting maps with a lot of different uses of a wide monster palette and the power of all triggers we have ad our bidding.

Marry me!

ForeverViLe said:

im agree with that,in my opinion maps of e3 have to be more difficult and with a touch of slaughter, for that thought i made this map hard and slaughter, and because i like it.
But for other way, an excessive slaughter map can be boring and tiresome as a very large map can do, is understandably that u guys can be uncomfortable with a lot of slaughtermaps or slaughtermaps in the begginnig.
Anyway i did some changes in the map,the slaughter touch still, is to late to change it but i will keep in mind ur opinions about slaughter maps. In my personal opinion my map is not to slaughter, i´ve played worse.
Well, Here is the link of final version (if dont have any errors) enjoy it :)
http://www.speedyshare.com/NX633/map27.wad

Joseph Lord said:

Anyway i did some changes in the map,the slaughter touch still, is to late to change it but i will keep in mind ur opinions about slaughter maps. In my personal opinion my map is not to slaughter, i´ve played worse.
Well, Here is the link of final version (if dont have any errors) enjoy it :)
http://www.speedyshare.com/ZjF98/map27.wad

In the main room, there are two player one spawns. When I tested it with Zdoom and Zandronum, the players spawned in front of the invisibility sphere while the voodoo doll was standing in the starting-pit.

In an other engine, the opposite might happen, in which case you and your voodoo doll will die quickly since the doll is in plain sight.

Eonfge said:

In the main room, there are two player one spawns. When I tested it with Zdoom and Zandronum, the players spawned in front of the invisibility sphere while the voodoo doll was standing in the starting-pit.

In an other engine, the opposite might happen, in which case you and your voodoo doll will die quickly since the doll is in plain sight.

im srry, i forgot remove that, now is the correct file in the post
thanks

So can I do MAP05? I'm a bit new to mapping, but this would give me a reason to finally finish a proper map instead of just messing with DB2.

If anyone has some free time to playtest my maps I'll appreciate it.
Map 13- The Mutiny- a small map with many ambushes, requires some infighting.
P.S: Use the bfg shots wisely, you'll need them all.
http://www.2shared.com/file/wccb0hQ8/TheMutiny.html

Map 15- Hit N Run- your only weapons are berserk fist, pistol and two bfg shots (secret).
I didn't use many strong enemies, imps, revenants and hell knights shouldn't be that hard with fists.
For those who aren't punch experts the map can be a bit hard since there's only one secret green armor in the whole map (so the revenants&hell knights can deal serious damage).
http://www.mediafire.com/?sl25clpr3bjbg24

Map 24- Bloody Hell- an ordinary slaughter map with the cave-ish theme of "Diehard", "The Final Frontier", "The Living End", "Dark Dome" etc etc.
There's plenty of health&ammo and the floor doesn't deal damage, shouldn't be too hard.
http://www.mediafire.com/?7wm5cxtfsrb0s9q

Alright, everyone, only 6 slots left open! If everyone who's signed up will finish the map they're working on, we'll have a full set of 32 before you know it! Then the real horror can begin: beta testing!

Keeper of Jericho said:

Alright, everyone, only 6 slots left open! If everyone who's signed up will finish the map they're working on, we'll have a full set of 32 before you know it! Then the real horror can begin: beta testing!

Awesome! Looks like everything is coming along nicely!

I have to admit that I've been kinda lazy lately with my second level, so I'm now working on the third room, and I thought I would share a few screenshots to give everyone a preview:

No worries, I'm working on Room 5 right now. Not sure where I'm going with it, though... gonna need to break a sheet of paper out at some point for it.

On the plus side, made my first self-referencing sector ever. Works pretty well, too.

Oh boy, if luck and volition decides to kick my arse, I might get an alpha of the map to roll either today or tomorrow (I need to pass first for Jericho to see if there's conflicts between the map and rules. -.-)

Anyway, more pics, less talk.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/spatalk3t69od1o/map25-shot1-1.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ezzchang9v5bbsa/map25-shot1-2.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6uycr3ea4069xqe/map25-shot1-3.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mio0db5gzdn4675/map25-shot1-4.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bil0tvi5ehtshkm/map25-shot1-5.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/52pvofo4xercxkr/map25-shot1-6.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pq3j41yrj2qt2ru/map25-shot1-7.png

Some pics might not appease the eyes due to lackluster detailing. But my primary is to see if the enemy/item placement works well. Ammo seems to be plenty enough to get through, when I did some initial tests of the areas.

I knew that I should playtest my maps once again, found a bug in Bloody Hell (the cyberdemon behind the yellow door stood on a sector with a wrong height so it was impossible to kill it.
I'm also adding some monsters and maybe some extra ammo.
I hope that I won't have to do any fixes in my other maps.

EDIT: @Keeper Of Jericho I've sent you an email with the fixed version of Bloody Hell, the sector's height is fixed and it is possible to UV max the map now.

Write my name to slot 6 then, 9 is too late in the megawad for my map.
The map's name is 820000P.

I suggest to write in rules that maps should be beatable without jumping/crouching as it is boom compatibile mapset and that mappers should implement difficulty settings (easy, normal, hard)

Also it would not hurt if everyone would add DM starts and Coop starts so it won't crash for people who try to play it in multiplayer, but note in txt file that it is designed for singleplayer and Coop with DM are not tested.

My map's status: Slowly working on outdoor part of the map. I would be already done with it, but I spend too much time with other games.

im starting now with map19, for now i call it "warming up", this time i will focus in more details, and try to get a good architecture

Joseph Lord said:

im starting now with map19, for now i call it "warming up", this time i will focus in more details, and try to get a good architecture

Joseph Lord
Warming Up

How apt :P

I've come up with an idea of what to fill the fifth room with. Only issue is that I wanted it to end with a Spider Mastermind that you had to kill before you could access the exit, which he would be standing atop, and, well... the geometry's small enough that he can't move around and shoot you (which is a problem, obviously), and yet you can just run into him and reach the exit (which is a smaller part within that sector). I think I'm gonna have to completely axe that and come up with a different approach...

@Keeper of Jericho:
In case you haven't already checked your mail... I got map done to point it can be used. :)
Still working on it, especially on the detailing side.

Status Update:
All things considering, I made quite a few improvement to the map. A lot more streamlining, detail and ballance to the map. I also now have a satisfaction end.

next time, I'll upload the first version for you to playtest and provide feedback on.

Another update from me.

I have a pretty busy week coming up, so excuse my slacking. I also worked on a couple of things for my GZDoom mod, but I promise I'll get back to work on Boiling with Hatred next week. :)