Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insomniak

Weapon and Method

Minigun like weapons - depending on how the weapon is designed in a game, I typically spin it up behind cover and then jump out of hiding spraying death at the enemy. I use this strategy with the Venom gun in RtCW - I typically fire in bursts because it's the most accurate.
Quake 2's chaingun is more simple: just point and shoot until the enemy is gibbed - I'm so used to the gun that I can often predict when I've held down the fire key long enough, so I release the key and let the "downspin fire" finish off the monster.

The good ol' single-barreled shotgun for the weaklings: get in their face and blow 'em to hell.

I've taken a liking tot he spray weapons in C&C:Renegade. The Chem Gun, in particular, is useful against all the normal NODs and works quite well against ceiling guns and the like. The only problem is it's uselesss against Chem Troopers and actually heals Tiberium mutants, and there's a chance it'll turn an enemy into a Visceroid.

I think dsm would love Renegade's Laser Chaingun. It'll blow the shit out of everything, even some weaker buildings.

rocket launcher, shooting multiple rockets while running towards the target so that all the rockets impact at almost the same time.

Hm Doom, that'll be the single barreled shotgun for taking down imps.
*Blam**uurrrghh**chuck-chack*
Taking imps down with the chaingun is fun too - now, if only that chaingun fired at a faster rate.
...and had a cool "drum-spinning" sound.
/Me gets a drool fit at the thought of a potential Doom 3 chaingun :-P~|

I like to use the plasma rifle. When i'm up against several weak monsters, i go for a wall of plasma approach. When faced with medium strength foes, I prefer short bursts. anything strong, I go all out.

Erik said:

rocket launcher, shooting multiple rockets while running towards the target so that all the rockets impact at almost the same time.

Same thing but with BFG :)

Zombies and Imps - Take out whole groups of em with the d/b shotgun.
Demons and Spectres - see above, but get em right in the face :)
Knights, Barons, Revs and Mancs - Circling the gits from a safe distance while hammering em with rockets.
Viles - That's what the BFG was made for.
Cacos, Pains, Lost Souls and Arachnotrons - chaingun (circling method works well here too, but the fire rate stops them from firing back)

Spike said:

Zombies and Imps - Take out whole groups of em with the d/b shotgun.
Demons and Spectres - see above, but get em right in the face :)
Knights, Barons, Revs and Mancs - Circling the gits from a safe distance while hammering em with rockets.
Viles - That's what the BFG was made for.
Cacos, Pains, Lost Souls and Arachnotrons - chaingun (circling method works well here too, but the fire rate stops them from firing back)

cybie = fist
spidy = chainsaw

hardcore!

My standard tactics:
fist: never use it unless berserk powered - use it when I see an imp standing just around a corner (AND if I'm not all overloaded with ammo).
chainsaw: use it against bull demons, rarely against anything else.
pistol: only used in the beginning - never used anytime else unless I warp (idclev) to a specific map just to play it. In the latter case, I use it to finish off imps if I failed to kill them in my first shotgun blast.
shotgun: against individual imps or two-three imp groups, in Ultimate Doom I use it against almost everything depending on situation.
Double barreled shotgun: Against everything depending on situation - I try to avoid using it against individual former humans or individual imps.
chaingun: against large groups of imps/former humans and against everything which easily make the pain animation (mostly cacos and PEs)
Rocket launcher: against large groups of bull demons (only on rare occasions) and against everything tougher than bull demons.
Plasma rifle: typically against large groups of medium tough enemies and against anything tougher than imps.
BFG 9k: against groups of tough monsters, against hordes of non-former human monsters and against really tough monsters (Archvile, BoH).

As a rule, I use BFG in situations where I see that it would be more useful than spending 40 plasma cells. Which is rather often.

BFG is your friend! :)

Super Shotgun, because it even makes BoHs think twice before advancing upon you.

the_Danarchist said:

Super Shotgun, because it even makes BoHs think twice before advancing upon you.

Except that they don't think twice - they just attack you mindless of their own safety.
I haven't seen them try to keep their distance from me while toting the db shotty.

Imps and former humans: Bererk or Single barrel SG, point blank range

Demons/spectres: SSG, point blank range

Mancubus: Chaingun or Plasma rifle from about 10 feet away

Revenent: a couple of blasts from the SSG, stay at least 10 feet away, circle strafe.

BoH: 20-30 feet away with rockets

Hell Knight and Arch-vile: point blank blast with BFG

Caco, Pain Elemental, and LS: chaingun at point blank

Cybie: Circle strafe with rockets

Spidermind: put something in between me and it's chaingun, hit with BFG or rockets.

The good old super shotgun. Sometimes i run out of shells when level has lot of Barons and Knights, while i have 100 rockets.

(BTW, i just love Immoral Conduct :))

dsm said:

Except that they don't think twice - they just attack you mindless of their own safety.
I haven't seen them try to keep their distance from me while toting the db shotty.

Be quiet! You're making too much sense!

Shotgun - weaklings

SSG - Larger enemies

Plasma Rifle - To satisfy my power hunger

RL - If I'm in the mood to blow things up...

BFG - If I need that tumultuous burst of energy and want everything dead simultaneously

Zaldron said:

RUSH RUSH RUSH, POINT BLANK SS SHOT, RETREAT, REPEAT.

Would you do the same if you were in a large, open area with at least 400-500 feet between you and the enemies and the enemy consisted of a large group of chaingunners lined up?

dsm, you'd love the abbs weapon pack for JDoom. It is has the kind of chaingun you're looking for (as long as you keep all it's files together).

I use the shotgun for everything, even Barons of Hell.

dsm said:

Would you do the same if you were in a large, open area with at least 400-500 feet between you and the enemies and the enemy consisted of a large group of chaingunners lined up?

Yes.

Ah yes, and let me add you're at 50% health and have no armour >:-)

Yes! SSG berzerker!

Note that that is exactly how I play Counter-Strike.

my main weapon is the super shotgun. 2 pointblank shots to take out a revenant. I also like to sniper the weaker enemies with either sg. if I can sneak up on a cacodemon its chainsaw time. if not chaingun'em. I do the hit and run with rockets for the big guys ie: BoH, CyberD, if I have the room.

Chainsaw - demons, imps, zombies
Fists - almost everything (only with berserk pack)
Pistol - zombies
Shotgun - imps, demons, zombies, cacodemons
Super Shotgun - almost everything
Chaingun - lost souls
Rocket Launcher - big enemies or groups of small enemies
Plasma Rifle - almost everything
BFG 9000 - I hardly use it, but when I do, I use it on big enemies only

VileSlay said:

I also like to sniper the weaker enemies with either sg.

How the fuck do you snipe with the db shotgun? In my version of Doom 2 it's useless on anything above "fairly close range". The only weapons you can do anything remotely related to sniping with in Doom is the chaingun and the sb shotgun.
Are you sure you don't mean "ambush"?

dsm said:

Ah yes, and let me add you're at 50% health and have no armour >:-)

And a completely plain area? I always take advantage of the terrain. A column is all I need to take them down.

Note that that is exactly how I play Counter-Strike.

Heh, same here.