Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiser

Doom64EX 2.3 Feedback Thread

This is more of an oddity than a real bug I guess, but today when playing Map20 I encountered this "former working" character.
Can't hit it nor kill it and run right through it - first time I "ran" across such an occurrence.

Do you have a savegame file of this? Also you think this can be re-produced? Not sure whats causing that to happen.

Kaiser said:

Do you have a savegame file of this? Also you think this can be re-produced? Not sure whats causing that to happen.

Think I've overwritten it at this very moment - I'll just replay the map and see if the fella's still there or pops up.
Btw on the next map there's another lone warrior... maybe a mis-spawned item?
I'll keep you updated.

Added bonus - a crash log. Not related to the voodoo soldier...
http://speedy.sh/Mn2VK/CRASHLOG.TXT

Kaiser, playing on MAP05, I couldn't seen to find all monsters, so I was just "screw this" and did the EXKILL cheat. The result? Two monsters were still missing. For some reason, there are two unkillable/unfindable monsters on MAP05.

Not only that, on MAP29, sometimes the map will for some reason just say that there are more secrets than there actually are in the map, resulting in not possible to get 100% secrets :(

Really great port nevertheless!

Kaiser said:

Real problem is knowing WHAT they are.

Well the fact that they're always changing. It looks like 21:9 might become a new standard: http://www.dell.com/ed/business/p/dell-u2913wm/pd Personally I hope they get a little wider to 24:9. That way we can treat it as two 4:3 monitors without the bezel and start the process over again. :P

I've been playing around with this lately after almost giving up on it because the framerates seemed so uniformly poor in comparison with GZDoom, then discovered that disabling v-synch caused them to soar to where they oughta be. Excellent work, guys. Feels like a very authentic Nintendo 64 experience minus the horrendously clunky interface. Are there any good pwads for Doom64 Ex?

_bruce_ said:

Btw on the next map there's another lone warrior... maybe a mis-spawned item?
I'll keep you updated.

Rizera said:

Kaiser, playing on MAP05, I couldn't seen to find all monsters, so I was just "screw this" and did the EXKILL cheat. The result? Two monsters were still missing. For some reason, there are two unkillable/unfindable monsters on MAP05.

I'd appreciate it if you guys can find an easy-to-produce test case so I can pinpoint the problem quicker. Keep me up to date with this. This is something I've never seen before during 2.3 developement and I really have no clue what's causing this to happen.

Anyone else that experiences this please let me know.

Where is this Xbox 360 controller support? I was playing TNT2 on ZDoom with it fine, but Doom 64 EX doesnt seem to have support for controllers in the options. Couldnt map any buttons either.

Ragnor said:

Where is this Xbox 360 controller support? I was playing TNT2 on ZDoom with it fine, but Doom 64 EX doesnt seem to have support for controllers in the options. Couldnt map any buttons either.

Do you still see the Controls menu? Does it still display the key bindings instead of the stick sensitivity?

Nope, its like the controller isnt there. I use the official Wireless Receiver btw, fished it out of a drawer mostly to play Doom 64

^
Are you on Windows 7 by any chance? I used XP up until last week with no problems. This week I 'upgraded' to Windows 7 and I now have the same issue as yourself. I've also tried a X-Input Logitech F710. That's not recognised either.

BTW, both controllers work fine with ZDoom and all the emulators I've thrown at it.

Kaiser,

I hereby kindly ask you to make a proper demo recording feature, just like in PrBoom. I know Doom64EX already records demos, but they simply doesn't play back the way we, demo recorders, intend to. We need Doom 64 Speed Demos!

Thanks!

Kaiser, just wanted to pop in and drop some positive feedback on your desk.

Been following the Doom64ex project from day one, and I absolutely love it. I regularly play it with friends at local lanparties, and they find it awesome too.

Keep it up man -- nice to see that you haven't forgotten about us after working on Colonial Marines for so long.

Kaiser, I got my controller working, it was a problem on my end, that also caused the controller to be unable to use both triggers at the same time on anything else.

Now that its working, can I ask for a button remapping feature? I expected Modern to be identical to the XBLA/PSN control schemes, like how Classic is older console controls, but its rather off. I also seem to be stuck in run mode.

Something unrelated to controllers, how does Hectic work in EX? Had my first experience with the map (I feel like I was being trolled endlessly..) and eventually cheated my way through it, as I wasnt playing seriously, and I then rad about the levle and found it enabled a Features menu in the original. Is this still the case here? Was surprised to find out three levels were only reachable (ingame) through that menu..yes I know about the launcher, but you know.

I have gotten to a point that is next to impossible requiring me to strafe run to a ledge after a lift raises in the middle of the room, I literally can not get past it!

Ragnor said:

Now that its working, can I ask for a button remapping feature? I expected Modern to be identical to the XBLA/PSN control schemes, like how Classic is older console controls, but its rather off. I also seem to be stuck in run mode.

It's been a little while since I fired it up, but I'm pretty sure that you can remap the gamepad controls. I believe through the options menu.

***EDiT***

You are right. I just double checked and you can't configure the controls. I agree that it would be nice to be able to customize them. Might be able to configure them in the cfg file, but looking over it, there doesn't seem to be any indication that the gamepad setup is kept in there.

And auto run does seem to be stuck on.

Hi Kaiser, really great work with this port. You probably also catched that Aubrey Hodges released the doom soundtracks of the PSX and N64 games.
Could you maybe implement an option to use external music tracks so we could use these new high quality music tracks? That'd be awesome.

The audio system is another thing I want to look at eventually. Though I am not sure how having a MP3/OGG player would conflict with my synth system.

I get demos to record, but the demo recording crashes when I get to the exit and when it should show the intermission screen. Playback of the demo works ok, doesn't crash at the end, but it doesn't display the hud.

Would also be nice to have demo recording/playback commands in the console.

I just tried this last night, I have a few gripes:

The one that annoys me the most is that there seems to be no way to have back and forward movement through the y-axis of the mouse. I use this a lot in addition to the arrow keys, and I really felt handicapped not having it. This is really a showstopper for me, because fumbling around in frustration takes out most of the enjoyment :(

Another frustrating issue with the controls is that there is no way to have "conditional" mlook. Ever since Quake 1, I have configured all my first person shooters to have mlook only while I'm holding down a certain key (I use the enter key) and to center the view again when I release it. Having mlook on all the time, I feel like a bobblehead doll, and turning off mlook entirely is a bit dull.

Finally, while the binaries worked fine on my Windows 7 laptop, I couldn't get v2.3 to compile on my main PC which runs Ubuntu 12.10, I got some kind of undefined reference error. V2.2 did compile and run correctly. I'm not at my Linux PC now, so I'll look up the exact error when I get home tonight.

Did you read the readme notes in regards to compiling on *Unix?

As for the Quake-style mouselook, I never really bothered with it since most people never tend to use that method. I'll put this on the features todo-list though.

When using a 360 controller, could you allow changing button functions? The classic and modern presets are nice, but I'd like to move previous weapon to B (makes more sense where you have it, but it's what I'm used to) or both weapon switches to the bumpers.

Also, if you could implement rumble, that'd be awesome. I know Doom64 was a launch title and didn't support the rumble pack, but rumble's one of those little things I like when I'm playing with a controller.

Kaiser said:

Did you read the readme notes in regards to compiling on *Unix?

As for the Quake-style mouselook, I never really bothered with it since most people never tend to use that method. I'll put this on the features todo-list though.

Yeah I think I got all the prerequisites, and 2.2 compiled so. I'll be able to give you the exact error message later tonight when I get home.

As for mlook, that would be great, but the y-axis mouse movement thing is much more a showstopper for me, so if it's one or the other ... I'd much rather have proper mouse movement.

So this is what's reported by the build script:

[  3%] Building C object CMakeFiles/doom64ex.dir/am_map.c.o
/home/janvkn/doom64ex/branches/2.3/src/kex/am_map.c: In function ‘CMD_AutomapSetFlag’:
/home/janvkn/doom64ex/branches/2.3/src/kex/am_map.c:150:15: error: ‘PCKF_UP’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/janvkn/doom64ex/branches/2.3/src/kex/am_map.c:150:15: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
/home/janvkn/doom64ex/branches/2.3/src/kex/am_map.c: In function ‘AM_RegisterCvars’:
/home/janvkn/doom64ex/branches/2.3/src/kex/am_map.c:1115:63: error: ‘PCKF_UP’ undeclared (first use in this function)
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/doom64ex.dir/am_map.c.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/doom64ex.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Ok, it compiles a lot longer now, but crashes on this:

Linking C executable doom64ex
CMakeFiles/doom64ex.dir/gl_draw.c.o: In function `Draw_Text':
gl_draw.c:(.text+0x3e8): undefined reference to `va_start'
gl_draw.c:(.text+0x41c): undefined reference to `va_end'
CMakeFiles/doom64ex.dir/gl_draw.c.o: In function `Draw_ConsoleText':
gl_draw.c:(.text+0x157e): undefined reference to `va_start'
gl_draw.c:(.text+0x15b2): undefined reference to `va_end'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status