All vertices on the 64x64 grid.
Two monsters.
Ten sectors.
Ten textures.
Five rooms.
Based on an OBLIGE layout.

Have fun! :p

dobugabumaru said:

I think the two monster x 1024 idea is a neat one, although space would be limited for some people. I would like to contribute to a 1024 project though, especially since I make maps too big anyway and it'll be a nice bit of practice to focus on smaller design.

I suffer from the same demise often enough!

dew said:

2monsters! 2 monster types per map!

This needs to happen.
If I didn't suck at heading projects I would so start this.

TheMionicDonut said:

This needs to happen.
If I didn't suck at heading projects I would so start this.

No pun intended :D

If 1024 layouts are getting worn out why not try the sequel to 1024 . . . 2048! I have been mapping 'medium small' levels in the shape of 2048x2048 and they turn out great. It would be a new spin on an old theme and its honestly still not much room to work with. Is there any support here for taking this potential project in the 2048 direction?

Egregor said:

If 1024 layouts are getting worn out why not try the sequel to 1024 . . . 2048! I have been mapping 'medium small' levels in the shape of 2048x2048 and they turn out great. It would be a new spin on an old theme and its honestly still not much room to work with. Is there any support here for taking this potential project in the 2048 direction?

Give it about 35 years.
Trust me, the novelty will be well worth the wait.

Pottus said:

No pun intended :D

Pun?

I think a 1024 project with the added twist of also being 2 monster maps would be a fresh enough idea to get some extra interest. I've taken part in a 2048 project before and can safely say that the space feels pretty unrestricted compared to 1024 (4x the area, afterall) so it'd be pretty easy to work in.

An EE 1024 project would also be a fantastic excuse to try out the Eternity Engine, so I'm certainly not averse to that idea either.

I'd love to work on another 1024 project, no matter what the other constraints are.

Gez said:

1024x1024 grid.
Two monsters.
Ten sectors.
Ten textures.
Five rooms.

independently of a 1024 project i am going to try that :p

Shadow Hog said:

And inevitably, somebody makes a map filled with nothing but Cyberdemons and Spider Masterminds, to the chagrin of pretty much everybody.

You sir, have stolen my idea. This was the first thing I actually thought when someone said 2 monsters.

Shadow Hog said:

(Unless it's basically Gotcha! on a larger scale, with the focus on starting infighting. Then it might be interesting.)

Dammit. This was the second thing I thought.

dobugabumaru said:

I think the two monster x 1024 idea is a neat one, although space would be limited for some people. I would like to contribute to a 1024 project though, especially since I make maps too big anyway and it'll be a nice bit of practice to focus on smaller design.

If Mechadon can successfully make 1024 maps, then it really can't be that hard. I mean, have you seen the size of that guy's maps when you don't put limits on him?

Gez said:

1024x1024 grid.
Two monsters.
Ten sectors.
Ten textures.
Five rooms.

Aaaaaaaand a partridge in a pear tree...

Egregor said:

Only problem with this idea is, in effect, it would just be a megawad full of medium-small maps. 2048 is perhaps not enough of a constraint to be really effective. Though I might just be lacking vision here. It might be a great idea.

2048 isn't that large. Even E4M1 wouldn't fit, although admittedly not by much.

I think the real problem of people was that too many monsters teleported from outer places into the cramped 1024 zones. It may work with smaller amount of monsters. (I didn't care, I still loved the maps)

The question is that what would be the best definiton of "too many"?

Katamori said:

The question is that what would be the best definiton of "too many"?

1025, obviously.

I see crushers with no warning will always have its followers :-/ At least the 2 monsters part was well executed.

Okay, I got some parameters ideas:

-1024x1024 (same as usual)
-24 flats and 24 textures max (so its not ridiculous, but it is consistent, and it plays on the 1024 theme)
-no more than 100 monster max-count (so teleport ambushes don't get overused)

Also, if the 2048 size is too large a leap, what about a 1536 project? Its in-between those two sizes, about twice the total area of 1024 maps and would allow for a lot more level depth, while still being a small map. No, no takers?

I'd rather prefer 2048 than some number in-between, although 1590 isn't a bad idea. That way we could work out the two monsters thing a little more, and maybe add in something goofy like 24 flats/texs.

I thought 2 monsters would work well enough if it was the only restriction.

2048 kinda sounds like regular short map rather than serious restriction.

OMG, 1337x1337!

On a side note, I never liked the cramped 1024 maps that teleport enemies behind you. It catches you by surprise way too quickly, especially if you're facing monsters in front of you.