Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

Aubrey Hodges info

Dragonsbrethren said:

Thanks for the answer. Based on this, I have another question: Did you ever make sounds for the Arch-Vile, or was it already decided that early that the monster wouldn't be making the cut? (It's a long shot, but if you did, do you still have them?)

I'm curious what your Arch-Vile would sound like. I find it the most "alien" sounding monster of the PC version. According to Bobby Prince, its wake up is supposed to be an evil laugh, but it's never sounded anything like a laugh to me, or particularly evil for that matter. It just sounds like an alien form of speech, not at all demonic.

You beat me to the punch, DB!

Hey Aubrey. Are you still in touch w/ the Doom 64 artists Sukru Gilman, Francisco Gracia, Andrew E. Wilson? I really liked the scary Lovecraftian Hell levels like this pic w/ that demonic face and the gargoyle on top: http://images.wikia.com/doom/images/c/c6/Doom64ChaingunPickupD64ex.jpg
I want to know which one of those artists created that squinting face in The Bleeding that when pressed, it lowers the platform w/ a BFG 9000 on top. Ring any bells? That face freaked me out when I was a kid. During Doom 64's development. Where there any models created of the Chaingunner, Revenant, Arch-Vile, and the Spider Mastermind and if so what did they looked like?

Anyways welcome aboard to Doomworld Mr. Hodges. Thank you for your ambient music that you've given us. Planning on downloading your Journey into Dark Places album later on. In retrospect I'd really like to see a Doom 64 part 2 back then but unfortunately got canned in favor of Quake 64.

UPDATE: Tried to order Journey Into The Dark Places w/ my debit. Probably left you a few messages. But PayPal won't accept it for some reason. Had to get my dad to order it for me and I got it. Haven't listened to the whole thing yet. But I think it's a worthy successor to the PSX Dooms & N64 Doom & Quake.

Hello Mr. Hodges, I have a question regarding the music in DooM 64.

The creator of DooM 64 EX discovered that the original music files on the console were severely butchered do too a poorly designed sound system. When the game was finished, did you ever notice your music sounding any different than what was composed? One track that is very butchered is Breakdown. Their is one full section of that soundtrack that doesn't even play on the console and I just wanted too know, did you ever realize that it didn't sound right?

jdagenet said:

The creator of DooM 64 EX discovered that the original music files on the console were severely butchered do too a poorly designed sound system. When the game was finished, did you ever notice your music sounding any different than what was composed? One track that is very butchered is Breakdown. Their is one full section of that soundtrack that doesn't even play on the console and I just wanted too know, did you ever realize that it didn't sound right?

is there a way to hear this missing piece? i didnt know this, does it play in Doom 64 ex?

ShaneAmp said:

is there a way to hear this missing piece?

Use SLADE 3 to listen to the MIDI from the IWAD created by WadGen, after having set the FluidSynth soundfont to the Doom 64 one.

ShaneAmp said:

is there a way to hear this missing piece? i didnt know this, does it play in Doom 64 ex?

AFAIK, Kaiser said his sound engine plays all the missing notes and sequences that the N64 sound engine seems to skip. Whether that's appropriate or not, only Aubrey could say.

ShaneAmp said:

Yes, and not only that soundtrack, but pretty much every soundtrack on the console seems to skip notes. In DooM 64 EX, they play correctly.

jdagenet said:

Yeah...working on the N64 was tricky at best. I thought that was fixed by the time it shipped but I suppose it was still buggy after all. Not familiar with the section that's missing...it's been too long.

-Aubrey

DustFalcon85 said:

Hey Aubrey. Are you still in touch w/ the Doom 64 artists Sukru Gilman, Francisco Gracia, Andrew E. Wilson? I really liked the scary Lovecraftian Hell levels like this pic w/ that demonic face and the gargoyle on top: http://images.wikia.com/doom/images/c/c6/Doom64ChaingunPickupD64ex.jpg
I want to know which one of those artists created that squinting face in The Bleeding that when pressed, it lowers the platform w/ a BFG 9000 on top. Ring any bells? That face freaked me out when I was a kid. During Doom 64's development. Where there any models created of the Chaingunner, Revenant, Arch-Vile, and the Spider Mastermind and if so what did they looked like?

Anyways welcome aboard to Doomworld Mr. Hodges. Thank you for your ambient music that you've given us. Planning on downloading your Journey into Dark Places album later on. In retrospect I'd really like to see a Doom 64 part 2 back then but unfortunately got canned in favor of Quake 64.

UPDATE: Tried to order Journey Into The Dark Places w/ my debit. Probably left you a few messages. But PayPal won't accept it for some reason. Had to get my dad to order it for me and I got it. Haven't listened to the whole thing yet. But I think it's a worthy successor to the PSX Dooms & N64 Doom & Quake.

I have no idea where those guys are now. We lost touch years ago. They are good people though and excellent at their craft.

Sorry you had some payment issues with bandcamp:( Send me your email and I will happily send you a code for a free download of my latest release...The soundtrack to Bio Freaks!
http://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album/bio-freaks-soundtrack

I am hard at work preparing the next release..."DOOM" Playstation Official Soundtrack. Everything was transferred digitally so this version is as good as it gets. Should be done in about a week.

-Aubrey

Gez said:

May I ask again if you gave actual titles to these ambient music compositions?

If you mean ripped from a PSX Doom or Doom 64 ROM, then they aren't going to be the high-quality originals that were talked about.

Yes, all the songs have titles. My next release will be the official soundtrack to DOOM Playstation and the actual titles (as well as their levels) will be used.

-Aubrey

Dragonsbrethren said:

Thanks for the answer. Based on this, I have another question: Did you ever make sounds for the Arch-Vile, or was it already decided that early that the monster wouldn't be making the cut? (It's a long shot, but if you did, do you still have them?)

I'm curious what your Arch-Vile would sound like. I find it the most "alien" sounding monster of the PC version. According to Bobby Prince, its wake up is supposed to be an evil laugh, but it's never sounded anything like a laugh to me, or particularly evil for that matter. It just sounds like an alien form of speech, not at all demonic.

I believe sounds were recorded and effected but never actually cut because I didn't know if he was going to make it into the game. Those sounds were never edited. It's a shame...I took a very disgusting creepy direction for him that I was sure folks would get a kick out of.

-Aubrey

I grew up on the PS1 version of Doom with its music and sound effects.

A week ago I never would have imagined saying hello to the guy responsible, so hello there, ive had your Doom music on my various harddrives for years and I will definitely get this Doom album and have then officially :D

Will it include PS1 Doom, Final Doom and Doom 64?

Also, when you put the PS1 disks into a stereo, some of the tracks are playable (I ripped these onto my PS3 the day I bought it), theres the title screen theme (epic beyond words, your description of a possible upgrade for Doom 4 sent shivers down my spine), menu the theme, intermission theme, ending credits theme, the club doom theme (I have to ask, did you compose that too? **) and an extra one, a really quiet mysterious one that I never heard ingame. What is that one? Its my absolute favourite, both peaceful, depressing, creepy, depending on my mood at the time.

jdagenet said:

Yes, and not only that soundtrack, but pretty much every soundtrack on the console seems to skip notes. In DooM 64 EX, they play correctly.

nevet noticed it before, unless this is only in more recent versions, which i havnt tried yet! interested to hear it.

Aubrey Hodges said:

Yes, all the songs have titles. My next release will be the official soundtrack to DOOM Playstation and the actual titles (as well as their levels) will be used.

-Aubrey

looking forward to it! so you still have the original tracking, or just high quality mix downs to re-master from? anything un-released or extended versions in there anywhere?

ShaneAmp said:

looking forward to it! so you still have the original tracking, or just high quality mix downs to re-master from? anything un-released or extended versions in there anywhere?

Memory was a huge issue and many of the tracks were actually much longer than what was shipped. I am using the original mixes which were transferred digitally and I am in the process of extending the tracks so that the runtime is at least 3 min on any of the shorter tracks. In cases where I actually have the long versions of the tracks they will be used in favor of the shipped versions. This is why I simply can't just upload them at this time. I want to make sure that this is the most high quality version of these pieces available and that the tracks are long enough to really enjoy. If things continue to go smoothly I may in fact include a bonus track or two of newly remixed/arranged and extended versions of a few of my favorite tracks.

-Aubrey

Ragnor said:

I grew up on the PS1 version of Doom with its music and sound effects.

A week ago I never would have imagined saying hello to the guy responsible, so hello there, ive had your Doom music on my various harddrives for years and I will definitely get this Doom album and have then officially :D

Will it include PS1 Doom, Final Doom and Doom 64?

Also, when you put the PS1 disks into a stereo, some of the tracks are playable (I ripped these onto my PS3 the day I bought it), theres the title screen theme (epic beyond words, your description of a possible upgrade for Doom 4 sent shivers down my spine), menu the theme, intermission theme, ending credits theme, the club doom theme (I have to ask, did you compose that too? **) and an extra one, a really quiet mysterious one that I never heard ingame. What is that one? Its my absolute favourite, both peaceful, depressing, creepy, depending on my mood at the time.

This release will be DOOM Playstation only. The Club Doom piece was actually done by Danny Lewis (a.k.a. Technoman). He was a music hobbyist that also did level design on DOOM and I really liked his electronic music. I also had him write some stuff for the Robotron X soundtrack. I have not heard from him in years but I really hope he is still doing music. He really has a gift for that style plus he is a really nice guy.

-Aubrey

Aubrey Hodges said:

The Club Doom piece was actually done by Danny Lewis (a.k.a. Technoman). He was a music hobbyist that also did level design on DOOM and I really liked his electronic music. I also had him write some stuff for the Robotron X soundtrack.

Now that's an interesting piece of trivia right there. Also its great to see that you're still active in the game industry and to see you here on Doomworld! Like with everyone else, I am a huge fan of your work and contributions to the PSX/N64 Doom ports as well as some of your more recent work. A lot of the custom Doom maps I've done over the years were greatly inspired by these ports, not to mention that I've been reverse engineering these ports for quite some time as well.

Also I too have some questions which I've been wondering about :)

1st Question:
I remember looking at some development shots in a Gamepro magazine eons ago and remember seeing a weapon that wasn't featured in the final game. I am assuming this was suppose to be some sort of Lightning Gun that was eventually replaced by the Demon/Laser weapon? Any memory of that?

2nd Question:
How did the idea of Doom64's final boss (four-armed slug creature thingy) come up? This seemed really mysterious to me and I am curious to know what it was called and how were the sounds created for it.

Aubrey Hodges said:

I have no idea where those guys are now. We lost touch years ago. They are good people though and excellent at their craft.

Sorry you had some payment issues with bandcamp:( Send me your email and I will happily send you a code for a free download of my latest release...The soundtrack to Bio Freaks!
http://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album/bio-freaks-soundtrack

I am hard at work preparing the next release..."DOOM" Playstation Official Soundtrack. Everything was transferred digitally so this version is as good as it gets. Should be done in about a week.

-Aubrey

Aubrey. How about a code for the free download to Doom Playstation instead? And will that include tracks from Final Doom PS1? PM me when it's available and I'll send you my email and you send me the code. Deal? UPDATE: My email address is in my profile. Click "Profile" in the bottom of my post. Then look for "Click to email DustFalcon85" in blue underlined letters.

EDIT: Also where you responsible of assigning the ambient tracks to each PS1 Doom level that feels it fits into the atmosphere of that level. For example Mt. Erebus's (the crying babies) music also appears on The Crusher and Final Doom's Ballistyx.
Since some of the PC levels didn't made it to the PS1 due to memory limitations. For example Slough of Despair, They Will Repent, from Ultimate Doom. Downtown, Gotcha!, The Spirit World from Doom II and other levels from Master Levels, Final Doom: TNT Evilution & Plutionia that didn't came to the PlayStation. What tracks would you assign to all of those PC levels if they theoretically ported to the PS1?

Last question. If you still have the Arch-Vile sounds. Will we get to hear them for the first time?

Aubrey Hodges said:

Memory was a huge issue and many of the tracks were actually much longer than what was shipped. I am using the original mixes which were transferred digitally and I am in the process of extending the tracks so that the runtime is at least 3 min on any of the shorter tracks. In cases where I actually have the long versions of the tracks they will be used in favor of the shipped versions. This is why I simply can't just upload them at this time. I want to make sure that this is the most high quality version of these pieces available and that the tracks are long enough to really enjoy. If things continue to go smoothly I may in fact include a bonus track or two of newly remixed/arranged and extended versions of a few of my favorite tracks.

-Aubrey

maybe a remake of doom 64's theme and intermission sequences for bonus track ideas! if they were made up of the same instruments. Thr additional sound effects like the crying babies i think are stock, the rest are ripped! even more excited now:)

Aubrey Hodges said:

Yeah...working on the N64 was tricky at best. I thought that was fixed by the time it shipped but I suppose it was still buggy after all. Not familiar with the section that's missing...it's been too long.

-Aubrey

Thanks for the reply, Aubrey.

Another question:
I noticed their is a sample in the soundfont generated from DooM 64 EX that is never used in any soundtrack in the game, but a year later, it is used in Quake 64. Were some of the samples in Quake 64 originally recorded for DooM 64?

jdagenet said:

I noticed their is a sample in the soundfont generated from DooM 64 EX that is never used in any soundtrack in the game, but a year later, it is used in Quake 64.

What sample are you talking about? I am pretty sure everything (minus the leftover Revevent sounds) was used.

Kaiser said:

What sample are you talking about? I am pretty sure everything (minus the leftover Revevent sounds) was used.

I believe it's PRESET_004 and PRESET_005, they both use the same sample.

Aubrey Hodges said:

This release will be DOOM Playstation only. The Club Doom piece was actually done by Danny Lewis (a.k.a. Technoman). He was a music hobbyist that also did level design on DOOM and I really liked his electronic music. I also had him write some stuff for the Robotron X soundtrack. I have not heard from him in years but I really hope he is still doing music. He really has a gift for that style plus he is a really nice guy.

-Aubrey

Will the Final Doom exclusive tracks be released officially too later on? Their practically an extension to the first PSX release's music. I understand Doom 64 being seperate though. This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZTKWqF7Nug is my favourite track from the exclusive Final Doom tracks (its been mentioned in this thread already, but I thought I'd add to the love for it)

Also, this is the track I mentioned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpiBEGohELA
I dont remember any place this actually played in the game. What was this one composed for? Its truly amazing and I really hope its on the album.

Thirdly, if you still have those PSX Arch-Vile sounds, could you consider releasing them? Theres quite a few PSX Doom projects going on right now, having his sound files could convince some to include the Arch-Vile, possibly in a manner like the Spider Mastermind (single level appearance) in keeping with PSX Doom tradition (I understand he was cut for memory issues)

Aubrey Hodges said:

-Aubrey

Thanks. I'd like to document that on the Doom Wiki so if you could share the track titles for the PSX Doom, PSX Final Doom, and Doom 64 levels it would be very appreciated. :)

Ragnor said:

Also, this is the track I mentioned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpiBEGohELA
I dont remember any place this actually played in the game. What was this one composed for? Its truly amazing and I really hope its on the album.

That song played during the game's attract sequence, specifically during the demos and the credits roll in both PSX Doom and PSX Final Doom.

..there were credits? I only remember the awesome demon voice endings and cast killing. Granted it has been about 10 years since ive had a copy of PSX Doom, but I still have my PSX Final Doom, I should replay it and refresh my memories. Now that you mention it, I did vaguely hear it in demo mode at some point.

so do you think everything else disspeared with midway? or is it possible some artists were offered their creations before going under? such as the texture and models made for Doom64. Or was the estate sold off to someone, or split between the highest share holders?

Hello there
I just found this thread and saw it's actual date.

I grew up with Doom and I'm partially obsessed with everything about it. Half my life I tried collecting any info I can get about the Doom games, as well as soundtrack of any Doom version thats out there.

-Some day I came across this sample:
https://www.box.com/s/zaj22ytct2oklt9n4v41

I've never figured out where it came from, but it was clearly used by Aubrey Hodges in the DOOM PSX soundtrack.
Once I tried contacting him, maybe he was too busy answering.

-this monster moaning transient is clearly a part of DOOM PSX:
https://www.box.com/s/khi38vhr8fkakmu2f15f
-as well as this scream:
https://www.box.com/s/ynra9z5okfiwn70is7c9

Anyone knowing the soundtrack should recognize it.
Maybe Aubrey Hodges can shed some light to where this sample initially comes from?

BuddhaMaster said:

I've never figured out where it came from, but it was clearly used by Aubrey Hodges in the DOOM PSX soundtrack.

What soundtrack? I'm disappointed that I can't recognize it. I want to say that it's from Deimos Anomaly but that soundtrack is mostly composed of some sort of phrase.