Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Doom 2 In Name Only - Now (supsiciously) on a load of gaming articles

glenzinho said:

It will take a minute to compile in Slade 3, it's no biggie... renaming the map slot will take a second. I'm with Antroid about not releasing an alpha. The maps are here to be played already, if someone so chooses... there's no point muddying the waters with a lot of different versions. Besides, the completed maps are all over the place in terms of map slot; how would you arrange them? Map 07 wouldn't work if you pushed it up the order.

This is a good point actually...technically we're IN alpha right now, with open testing.

Do you think there will be a Beta though? And if so, when?

Also, in a rush of boredom, I threw together screenshots of the megawad, 1 per map (1,4,5,7,11,13,15,18,21,26,29), with cheesy backstories to accompany them. Killed a few hours I guess :P

Antroid said:

Actually i only meant not including map29 and map30 in an alpha... i'm not against releasing it, though i see no point, as the maps ARE indeed available already.

Sorry if I misunderstood your post, but the simple point is that the maps are already available for download and play. What's the point in putting out an alpha for 11 maps out of 32 which are finished, whose map slots are all over the place? I think the priorities are not in order as yet. There's quite a lot to do still...

Eris Falling said:

This is a good point actually...technically we're IN alpha right now, with open testing.

^This

Do you think there will be a Beta though? And if so, when?

When 32 maps have been submitted ;)

Also, in a rush of boredom, I threw together screenshots of the megawad, 1 per map (1,4,5,7,11,13,15,18,21,26,29), with cheesy backstories to accompany them. Killed a few hours I guess :P

Cool, where are they?

Also, on TITLEPIC and INTERPIC and the like, some submissions from the artistic minded amongst us should be welcomed. There are more to wads than maps and no time like the present! I would also recommend that you throw open some inactive map slots sooner rather than later.

Well you know if Eris Falling wants to compile an alpha then i say by all means; i don't think it will trouble people too much to distinguish the eventual final release from it. I don't know what to do about the map slots, might as well leave them as they are between the original maps. But maybe somebody who doesn't want to download the individual maps will be interested in checking out the alpha. What's the harm in it? Not much point, true, but nothing to lose for it :)

edit: not a serious idea but a thought crossed my mind, the titlepic could be a photo of a physical copy of doom 2. :p

- That's a good point. Holds hands up for the idea. It was implemented in another project for which i'm involved in, on the other hand another thread i'm in does the opposite. In the end actually maybe we should stick to the individual maps as with enough activity here things won't just disappear off the face of the earth in speak.
- Definitely will need a beta test when we have done all 32 maps.
I would quite like to see your cheesy storylines for the maps ;)

Oh yes, forgot to mention, but i would also definitely enjoy that thing you did Eris. Be a sport and show it :)

cannonball said:

I would quite like to see your cheesy storylines for the maps ;)

Yeah! Come on Eris, we're curious now!

glenzinho said:

Yeah! Come on Eris, we're curious now!

Oh well, if you insist! :3 Done alphabetically, they aren't great, some are just descriptive, Nirvanas was based on what cannonball said about it, but oh well :P

Dead Simple - http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2756/deadsimple.png
Downtown - http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/5342/downtownb.png
Entryway - http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/7858/entryway.png
Industrial Zone - http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/5386/industrialzone.png
'O' of Destruction - http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/2117/ofdestruction.png
Nirvana - http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/4277/nirvanaf.png
The Abandoned Mines - http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/7659/theabandonedmines.png
The Courtyard - http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/2431/thecourtyard.png
The Focus - http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/556/thefocus.png
The Waste Tunnels - http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5421/thewastetunnels.png

And don't kill me please Antroid...
The Living End - http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8516/thelivingend.png - SPOILERS

I think I will hold off the Alpha for now, I agree that people can just download the maps if they want to. A Beta release is definite.

EDIT: Fixed The Courtyard image link :P

glenzinho said:

Heh, that's pretty cool Eris!

haha thanks :P

Nice I like that. Instead of loading up map18 for the courtyard, you get Nirvana again :P

Yeah I found this exact same time you did. Fixed it hehe.

Go me, not finishing the waste tunnels. Should say 'sludge' on the end of that. Nvm.

Fun. Sometimes i love doing things like this myself. The description of the courtyard is for some reason extremely hilarious to me :p

"Map35 - 'Gates of the death's gates of death': a collection of areas connected by various places. You know it's going to be mildly lethal in here so you load your fist and go straight towards your destination!"

Also, it's a technicality, but in Focus, the blown-up reactor (shown in the picture) was actually intended to be the source of the quake, but i guess it works if it blew up because of it, too.

Also I would say that map02 isn't there, unless you have omitted it for other reasons so far. On that note that reminds me to actually playtest it.......

Sorry for the double post
Map02
Pretty much bang on the money gameplay wise, short sweet and fairly easy. Pretty much perfect. From what I can remember of the first version, this looks nicer too.
Minor nitpicks and possible discussion.
Linedef 240 (the switch at the top of the lift), looks wrongs, it needs to be aligned so you don't see half the switch on each side of the linedef.
Things 93 and 97 (closet sergeants) could be marked as not deaf meaning when you pick one off the other one will leave is little home. But this is really minor.
Thing 103 (demon in secret area) is stuck in thing 58 (spectre in same area), but this only matters for multiplayer.
I think that is all. Also nice to see the ssg make an appearance here like in the original :)

Ragnor said:

Any ideas for the name of the project? Maybe rewrite "Doom 2: Hell on Earth" to something similar to imply its an alternate reality sequel to Doom?

"Doom II: Earth in Hell"

Hell 2: Earth is Doomed?
Edit: Hell: Earth 2 is Doomed or Hell: Earth is Doomed Too are even better.

D2TWDD: Doom 2 The Way Doomworld Did ;)
A variation on what Antroid said is pretty cool too...
Earth is Doomed Too is probably my favourite variation

glenzinho said:

D2TWDD: Doom 2 The Way Doomworld Did ;)
A variation on what Antroid said is pretty cool too...
Earth is Doomed Too is probably my favourite variation

That's not too bad, that shows the deviation from d2twid to using our own personal ideas for the maps. Works for me.
Yeah I like antroid ideas as well.

Off topic - In hindsight maybe we should have tried the ultimate doom first with a release deadline being dooms 20th birthday. Considering that's just over a year away. I am so tempted to make a thread for this.

You guys realize my "ideas" were jokes right?

Also regarding ultimate doom, i've thought about that before and i came to the conclusion that doom 2 was a far better choice. It's levels are far more removed from their names, and the names themselves are more interesting as well. Half of UDoom would just be boring as hell. Like, most of ep1 - woo, another set of techbases, especially since people actually already have levels with such names represent them well enough. Ep4 would be hell too, i can't imagine even trying to work with any of those names. Only some (okay, maybe most) levels from eps2 and 3 would be worth the effort, imo.

you are probably right. I'm not good at ideas, hence I haven't suggested a name for this wad.
Probably best shot from me is
Doom 2 - Hell's Revelations
Probably sucks :P

Antroid said:

You guys realize my "ideas" were jokes right?

And the sky is blue, you say?.... Of course! ;) But the more I think about, the more I like Doomed Too or something similar to this.

Eris, may I suggest rewriting the Abandoned Mines description to account for the fact its inside hell?

This is the beauty of Episode 3 of Doom 2, all of it can be explained away as something like part of Earth being absorbed into Hell. In the same way, most of Episode 3's exits were "void holes", as if each level was a disembodied aspect of Hell formed from Earth's invasion. Doom 1 Episode 3 also showed slight techbase elements in some levels that could be explained in much the same way, only now its in full force.

The descriptions for the Episode 1 levels gives me the feeling the starport is much more than a massive facility, but instead an entire complex of them, one of which has been torn apart by an experiment gone awry (Or whatever caused that generator to explode). Whats the concept for Gotcha? Please also remember this level has the big portal to Hell, and continues the three level Demon Castle theme that finishes Episode 2. Maybe a chase of sorts, where you get trapped in the end? Maybe in the portal room, thus "the only way out is through" (Doom 1 reference!)

And going with this name suggestion thing... Doom 2: Fall of Earth? As a pretend sequel that aims to replace Doom 2, it should sound marketable.

That image just makes me think of Maes and his vaseline jars. There is a cyberdemon nearby afterall...

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

Ragnor said:

...Or whatever caused that generator to explode...

Oh, that was probably the hell invasion. :p

About doom2's hell, i always preferred to interpret it as earth being turned into hell rather than us simply going straight to hell like in doom 1. So human-made areas that have changed into stuff of nightmares are perfectly fine. The description for the mines makes it even sound like we're visiting places where horrible things happened even before the invasion.

Actually now i kinda want to make spirit world. It could refer to the whole earth, now that all the humans on it are dead and roam the planet-turned-hell as spirits, so earth has been therefore turned into a spirit world. You know what, pencil me up in there as a possible taker of slot 28. I know i'm busy this remaining year, but i can probably nurture some ideas and plan it through during times like travel, shower or bed :D

p.s. i love the constantly changing thread title, have we disheartened you from making the alpha so easily Eris? :p

Ragnor said:

That image just makes me think of Maes and his vaseline jars. There is a cyberdemon nearby afterall...

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

Shit... I see it now too! What have YOU done!

Antroid said:

i love the constantly changing thread title, have we disheartened you from making the alpha so easily Eris? :p

Actually... there is an alpha. Just download and play the levels one by one ;)

Doesnt the story ingame state that you go to Hell with the goal of closing the portal from the inside?

Your idea for the Spirit World is indeed awesome, but by being inside Hell, theres near infinite freedom for what you could do there. The only true progression at that point is "As Doomguy descends towards the source of the invasion, the source of the portal to Hell, what manner of nightmare will Hell itself throw at him next?"

Bloodfalls and Spirit World and The Chasm, I would assume are true Hell levels, Living End, after that awesome description, does as well. Abandomed Mines, Monster Condo, Catacombs, Barrels of Fun and Nirvana I would class as "captured aspects", the mines for example, all those dead miners, their spirits warped the frabric of reality in that area, causing it to be absorbed into Hell during the invasion. Nirvana is an interesting one though. Is it a captured aspect of Earth? Or a clever trap by the demons to lull you into a sense of peace? The hell sky kind of gives it away though, unless thats hidden at first.

Im just throwing out ideas here :p